How do you earn money on the side?

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by pj96, Jul 31, 2019.

1. pj96

pj96 New Member

Hi Stockaholics. Do you have a side job, part time business, or something else you do to earn more money in addition to your full time job? I mow lawns and work a lot of overtime at my job to make extra money but I'm looking for more ideas.

Faith Onoja, TomB16 and OldFart like this.
  2. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

You could invest/trade in the stock market the money you already have to make more money.

Three Eyes and OldFart like this.
  3. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

I own real estate. That's a side job. It's been great to us but I do not recommend it.

When I had a full time job, I worked a lot of overtime and saved all of it.

It might make sense for you to start a side business. An interesting business would be Airbnb management. It's pretty easy to find units. From there, you will need one or more cleaners. Typical rate is 30% of gate. Don't forget, there is also a cleaning charge so that should cover the cleaner wages.

Once you understand how it works and what is necessary, you'd want to help people set up for Airbnb. I don't know what you'd charge for that but it would be worth something.

It should be pretty easy to make $500 per week with about 5 hours of input. It takes time to keep the supplies stocked, meet guests, etc. The good part of it is you can mostly do it when you have time. Even correspondence with guests is done with the app on your phone so it's not much of an imposition.

As for what to do with the money, I'd stay close to the S&P500 or a couple of stable companies. The less you trade, the more you'll have when you need it. I'm a contrarian, in this regard.

If you can manage to save 100% of your side job income, you should be able to retire in about 10 years.

Just my $0.02.

4. AnuShetty

AnuShetty New Member

So I freelance and write articles and whatnot. In College, I used to freelance to save up money and in summer vacations I worked as a writer for companies. This gave me experience and also connections. Now, I am able to freelance and earn money on the side. It's really a good method to have a side income.

5. pj96

pj96 New Member

Sounds like an interesting idea, though I'm not sure I would be able to do it because I don't have a smart phone.

6. pj96

pj96 New Member

My writing skills aren't so great but I think for the right person this can be a very good side job.

Polina Pohribs and Faith Onoja like this.
  7. Polina Pohribs

Polina Pohribs New Member

For now I work as a photographer. By the way if you have suffered discrimination in the workplace, it is important to come forward and tell your story. You can begin to protect your rights by arranging a workplace discrimination lawyer free consultation about the incident https://mosheslaw.com/laborandemployment/ . Unfortunately today people often forget about that. We can always protect our rights.

#7 Polina Pohribs, Aug 4, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2019