How do you invest for your kids?

Discussion in 'Investing' started by MrMike, Feb 10, 2021.

1. MrMike

MrMike Member

I'm wondering how other people invest for their kids. I have 2 boys that are 8/9 years old now.
    • I have opened a FRESP (Family Registered Education Saving Plan) for their post-secondary education.
    • For investments (allowance, birthday, Christmas, etc...) I've opened up 2 more TFSA accounts in my name but am treating it like their account.... except I can't give accounts nicknames, come on Questrade :mad:

Once they turn 18, I plan to withdraw the money and put it into an account in their name.
    Is there a better way to invest for them? or is there something else I've missed. Thanks

2. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Custodial account

Rustic1 likes this.
  3. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

There's a 529 plan which has tax benefits. Also, you can withdraw the money to use for purposes other than college. I'm not sure if you can pick stocks to invest in though, might be limited to mutual funds.

TomB16 likes this.
  4. Rustic1

Rustic1 Well-Known Member

• CUSTODIAL ACCOUNTS
    • Both of my kids have them and are allowed to monitor and invest how they choose. Its a good way to teach financial responsibility as they have learned that the less they spend on non essential items means more they have to invest.

5. MrMike

MrMike Member

Do you pay taxes in a custodial account? That's why I opted for the TFSA in my name then will transfer when they're 18 - to avoid the taxes.

TomB16 likes this.
  6. Rustic1

Rustic1 Well-Known Member

Yes to a degree.