How to know if fund is Load, NTF or TF?

Discussion in 'Ask any question!' started by Andre, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Andre

Andre Active Member

I cannot find any info for several funds, i do not want to buy load fund or with commissions fee.

For example, CRF - was trying to find in Inet and on their site but nothing.

2. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

3. Andre

Andre Active Member

Thank you, Gil!

4. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Well-Known Member

The example you posted is not a load fund because it is a closed end fund which does not charge load fees to get into them. The link Gil posted above takes you to Morningstar with their info about that fund. Look on the Management and Fees section and it shows what amounts are charged to the fund. This one is not high and shareholders don't directly pay those fees, they come out of the profits before distribution. I did post an article here in the educational forum at:
    http://stockaholics.net/threads/a-look-at-closed-end-funds.1291/
    It is a little lengthy but gives you a method of evaluating a closed end fund. For example, I don't like this fund you mentioned here because it is selling at an 18% premium. Plus it has a caution flag on the distribution level at 20% and uses return on capital as a method to distribute which appears to me to be of the destructive type of return on capital. That would account for the high premium.

StockJock-e likes this.
  5. Andre

Andre Active Member

Thank yoo, JerryM!
    I was just looking for stocks with ex-div date next week and noticed this fund that has 20.52% yeild. I do not know yet about closed end funds, I mean, about any funds.

6. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Well-Known Member

No problem Andre. My main caution to you on dividend stocks is don't chase the yield as it normally does not end well for the investor. Stocks paying in excess of 9% are fraught with peril :D In addition to yield one needs to look at consistency, payout ratio, and growth. Now, if you are simply buying it near ex-div and want the high yield and plan to get out right afterwards that might work OK as long as the price maintains or rises a little so you can cover transaction costs. I've not tried that method and don't know if it is a profitable strategy or not. I like dividend stocks for long term investing and plan on holding them for at least a year and preferably 10 years.

7. Andre

Andre Active Member

Yes, my first intention was to get some dividend stocks for long-term investment but when I knew that buying near ex-div date works too I am planning to try this strategy. And I guess I have to start with stocks first not funds.