INTC - Intel Corporation

Discussion in 'Stock Message Boards NYSE, NASDAQ, AMEX' started by Tiptopptrader, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Rayak

Rayak Active Member

I'm glad that my INTC position at the time this came to light was miniscule, and with < $31/share avg cost.

Lots of people were blindsided by this, I'm sure. Especially those who don't actively manage their accounts, or were waiting in hopes INTC would recover from it's dive at the end of March.

I am a buy-and-hold investor for the most part, but no one will ever convince me that it's not wise to actively manage your investments, stay abreast of news and trends and adapt in a timely manner to economic and market conditions.

T0rm3nted likes this.
  2. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

As the second class action against Intel gets under way, Puget Systems released data and presented statistics that indicate there is no stability issue with Intel processors. Somebody is lying. It's Puget Systems. At least, primarily.

If you look at their data, they specifically do not separate the CPU giving problems: 14900k.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/blog/2...-perspective-on-intel-cpu-instability-issues/

They muddy the data water with large pools of parts and broad spectrums of generations, pretending they are proving something. This is a classic case of data obfuscation.

On the other side, I don't believe the alarmists who suggest every CPU is going to fail long before previous generation parts would. In other words, the era of CPUs that would last 20 years is over. That's probably true but it's not a smoking gun.

I'm of two minds on this. On the one hand, I believe that a great cooler and perhaps backing off a tiny bit on boost clock would make this problem go away. On the other hand, it's a $700 processor. It ought to do what is printed on the box.

I look forward to watching this play out.

3. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

The Matthew Cassells statement on Raptor Lake failures is extremely damning. Of particular interest are his comments on rejected RMAs. He said his vendor mentioned Intel was rejecting their RMAs so he tried to RMA a few of their servers and his were also rejected.

https://alderongames.com/intel-crashes

This is a key moment in X86 industry. I don't know how it will play out but Intel has a lot of exposure here.

What I find most interesting is the interview of Matt Cassells on Moore's Law is Dead (Youtube channel). He said Alderon were moving to AMD and were talked into Intel by their vendor. There is a lot of industry pressure to stick with Intel.

I've experienced the Intel pressure myself. A few years ago, I ordered some AMD servers from a company. The team wanted a specific AMD chipset and a specific brand/model of server. I got several calls trying to talk me into Intel equivalent servers before cancelling the order and handling it another way.

It is that industry pressure that will keep Intel on top. If those vendors are sued and even driven out of business, that will hurt on the short term but has the potential to help the industry a lot on the long term.

#163 TomB16, Aug 6, 2024
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2024
    roadtonowhere08 likes this.
  4. roadtonowhere08

roadtonowhere08 Well-Known Member

How Intel handles RMAs with large contract holders will have a huge effect on how many switch to AMD. I would say that I am truly surprised that more companies are not switching to AMDs superior server options, but, like you said, Intel likes to throw its weight around and mindshare is a strong thing to turn around even with compelling evidence.

TomB16 likes this.
  5. Rayak

Rayak Active Member

The Intel mess has changed my personal buying decisions. Not that it matters in the LEAST, I know that Intel probably sells far more to commercial accounts than individuals users.

I'm in the market for a new home desktop PC. The one I have was purchased new in 2018.

But I personally will not consider an Intel powered computer anytime soon, going to go with AMD.

T0rm3nted likes this.
  6. rolexian

rolexian Member

This was me in 2021

TomB16 likes this.
  7. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

There is so much crap floating around the interwebs about Intel problems, let's see if we can peel a couple of layers off this onion.

Intel has added two years to the warranty of the following chips.

Generation 13th-Gen Intel Core 14th-Gen Intel Core
    Intel Core i9 i9-13900KS i9-14900KS
    Intel Core i9 i9-13900K i9-14900K
    Intel Core i9 i9-13900KF i9-14900KF
    Intel Core i9 i9-13900 i9-14900
    Intel Core i7 i7-13700K i7-14700K
    Intel Core i7 i7-13700KF i7-14700KF
    Intel Core i7 i7-13790F i7-14790F
    Intel Core i7 i7-13700F i7-14700F
    Intel Core i7 i7-13700 i7-14700
    Intel Core i5 i5-13600K i5-14600K
    Intel Core i5 i5-13600KF i5-14600KF

They maintain the problem is only with the 14900K but we know the 13900K is also affected and the reports of 14700K being affect may have some substance. Please forgive me for not being too quick to take people's word for it.

There are also reports of problems with Xeon being affected so I called a very good friend who works in a rather large data center. It's probably one of the biggest data centers that is not Microsoft/Amazon/Google. They are 100% Xeon / Intel and they have plenty of samples of pretty much every Intel server chip in circulation. Unfortunately, I cannot name the company out of respect for him. He tells me they have had zero issues and no crashes.

It's clear there is a problem but it may not be as wide spread as many are saying. I wouldn't fire sale Intel, just yet.

8. roadtonowhere08

They knew about it. They were shady as hell. They have a HUGE hill to climb to get trust back after the crap they have been pulling.

Like you and W always say, management makes or breaks a company. Intel's management has been and is shit.

TomB16 likes this.
  9. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

Shareholders now suing Intel.

I believe Intel will weather this but time will tell.

10. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

I believe this is an example of how difficult it is to recover a company that is badly managed. Even bringing back a proven good CEO has not been enough to right the ship. At least, not yet. Personally, I am not counting Intel out. There could be some life left in the old girl.

At the moment, however, Intel is stinkville.

11. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

Some of the slides from the Intel all staff conference call are astonishing. Intel is in far worse shape than their bad financials reveal.

I'm trying to be optimistic about about Intel and I still hope they can turn things around but I can no longer believe in their future. Intel is going the same route as Boeing. The wrong people have control at Intel. It's extremely difficult to shake these people from the tree and the company is not salvageable with the toxic parasite infection.

It would be nice if someone more optimistic could provide a perspective that would elevate me from this despair. lol!

PS - Intel ARC is now a dead project.

#171 TomB16, Aug 13, 2024
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2024
    roadtonowhere08 likes this.
  12. roadtonowhere08

The U.S. taxpayer will rescue them if necessary:

[​IMG]

Rayak, T0rm3nted and TomB16 like this.
  13. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

I'm going to go ahead and declare the Qualcomm Snapdragon X Elite a commercial failure. I know it's early days but the uptake has been tremendously underwhelming and mass change such as this needs to sweep in after an announcement. People don't slowly change their minds over time.

Intel has quite a bit of good product, right now. The vast majority of their parts are great but their image is on fire.

14. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

Few are aware of how much Intel does for the open source community. They have a ton of projects, some of which are extremely important.

A few of those were shut down, last week. Its not the end of the world but interesting to see Intel cutting projects with, at most, two or three people assigned (none of which are full time on the project).

I consider this an indication Intel considers this an existential moment in the life of the corporation.

A year ago, I was cautiously optimistic on Intel. Today, I am not confident they will maintain an important role in the planet's compute infrastructure. Intel's work environment is rumoured to be highly toxic and most of their best resource has left. Intel staff seem to like Pat Gelsinger but he is not the guy to cut the cancer from the organisation. He should be ruthlessly cutting toxic people but, instead, he is doing calculated headcount reductions like an accountant.

Say what you will about Elon Musk, and he deserves much of what is said, but he could right the ship.

#174 TomB16, Aug 21, 2024
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2024
  15. rolexian

rolexian Member

Musk would have been too indiscriminate, judging by what he did at Twitter.

TomB16 likes this.
  16. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

He demonstrated the discretion and common sense of a pit bull in a sausage factory. :D

17. Rayak

Rayak Active Member

I don't have enough reliable, confirmed information about Elon Musk to speak intelligently about him, personally or professionally.

I do know, however, that as unlikely as it may seem, there are times when pit bulls are exactly what is needed - whether they are wanted or not - in many places - including, under certain conditions, sausage factories.

TomB16 likes this.
  18. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

We share the same perspective.

My point is that Intel needs a pit bull. Pat Gelsinger appears to be trying to optimize and trim fat where he should be ruthlessly eliminating toxic people.

Everyone is smiling and pretending Intel is a great place to work and yet Nvidia and AMD are literally staffed up with the best engineers from Intel. This is not a time for pretending everything is fine.

BTW, Elon was a complete savage at Twitter, no disagreement there, and he may have comically over-cut staff but they are still operating just fine. In fact, the number of glitches were surprisingly few. Twitter is arguably a far better organization now than it was pre-Elon.

Rayak likes this.
  19. rolexian

rolexian Member

Operationally it may be fine, but it's hemorrhaging money.

20. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

How much are they losing?