Investing choice

Discussion in 'Investing' started by Chris Yates, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Chris Yates

Chris Yates New Member

Hello all,

I'm new here and I'm starting to get serious about investing for retirement. I'm allocating a good portion of my pay per month to invest in various funds and stocks.

The issue I have is I want to weight my account more funds than stocks but the funds I want to purchase into are more expensive generally than the individual dividend stocks i'm interested in.

So the question becomes as I allocate my paycheck percentages do I speculate a stock trade on a lower value stock for a few weeks until I have enough capital to purchase into a fund? Then at that time sell the lower value and purchase into a larger stock to ensure my funds are invested and earning money? Or should I just keep the funds in savings until I have the proper capital to just purchase the fund outright?

A few things to note. I cannot trade partials with my broker and because i'm a low end employee at a brokerage and per regulations cannot open an account elsewhere that will allow partial trades so i'm stuck in that regard.

I know you all cant offer investing advise but I'm wondering what you all do in these scenarios where you have allocations and then say have funds left over after purchasing a stock. What do you do with the remainder?

Thanks!

2. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

If I understand correctly, lets say you have $1000 and you buy 1 share of TSLA, now you have $200 left over. What do you do with that $200?

3. Chris Yates

Chris Yates New Member

Exactly. Do you purchase another stock choice or do you wait until you raise your balance to purchase another tesla in essence holding that $200.00 in a low interest account until you have enough funds to purchase another share.

4. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Dont feel that you need to use all your money immediately.

Since it sounds like you already have money going into funds, then am I correct to assume this left over money is for speculation?

That being the case, its always better to be able to add to positions over time rather than buy all at once.

Keep it cash for as long as you want, the market tends to have big sell offs every so often, wait for a dip or a crash, load up on your favorites when that happens.

T0rm3nted likes this.