Is now a good time to purchase stocks?

Discussion in 'Ask any question!' started by Ramon, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Ramon

Ramon New Member

I am an 18 year old investor. I already have around 6 months experience so I am not a complete beginner. I have allocated $5,000 into my portfolio and with this corona virus the net worth is now at $3,000. My big question is, is it a perfect time to buy a lot of shares of those major corporations like Apple, Boeing, Microsoft etc because they are so low? Again, I am new to investing so please help me understand if in times like these is the perfect time to buy shares. Thank you

Syynik likes this.
  2. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Yes, this is a once in a decade sell off, take advantage of good companies like AAPL when they get hit hard.

Dont rush in, a bear market takes months.

Ramon and Syynik like this.
  3. Ramon

Ramon New Member

Thank you, so do you think it would be smart to invest around $10,000 just into Apple right now?

Syynik likes this.
  4. BoooOnLive

BoooOnLive New Member

Hey Ramon, everything indicates that this is a very good time to invest. Of course, nobody is going to hit rock bottom 100%... I would wait the first two weeks of April, though. I'm expecting a Black April. After that the situation will normalize. Then the European countries will have to assess whether the quarantine measures have worked. I am more concerned about the credit business of the European banks and the ECB. If the borrowers here go bankrupt in series, there could be major cuts here, which will also affect the US... Opposing opinions anyone?

VlmsGnereb and Syynik like this.
  5. Syynik

Syynik Well-Known Member

Ramon, I envy your age and position right now. You could try Dollar Cost Averaging into Aapl with your cash because as StockJock-e and BoooOnLive pointed out, we have no way of knowing what the bottom really is.

I'd kill to be you right now!! Good luck, and keep reading.

6. renegadelook

renegadelook Member

We have a global pandemic right now, so the best time to purchase stocks I guess is next year, survival is the number one priority right now.

7. Ramon

Ramon New Member

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it. What would you do if you were in my position? I have thousands of dollars just sitting in my savings account so if right now is the perfect time, would you recommend me buying say $10,000 worth of apple? Again, I am a beginner so I’m not very experienced but I’m starting to get addicted to buying dividend stocks!
    Thank you!

8. BoooOnLive

BoooOnLive New Member

Hey Ramon, this may sound strange, but I'm going to say what I tell my friends.

If you look at the upswings of Dow Jones and DAX yesterday, it only indicates one thing in my eyes: an extreme volatility. I may be wrong, of course, but I think that the story is not over yet. I maintain my assumption that we are getting a black April. The good news here is that if companies are able to resume production and people leave their quarantine, supply and demand will increase equally. There will be an increase of DAX and Dow Jones as well.

The real issue here is inflation. There's a lot of money being pumped into the economy right now, so if we get back to normal demand and supply, we may be looking at inflation... So what do I tell my friends?

Keep your money for another 2-3 weeks. I would invest in mid-April. Amazon, Apple, Tesla (especially after Steve Eisman stopped shorting), all good choices. Of course long term thinking. But of course these are only the standard options.

I myself am currently very interested in 3 areas:

The Public Sector, because I think this crisis is going to change that area forever. People will demand for more security and social closeness.

Everything that has to do with water, water treatment and air treatment. Many industrial manufacturers like Bilfinger are also interesting in this respect.

And, but I would be cautious about that, because it is something like my own risky playground, selected companies in South Korea and Japan. These countries are coping surprisingly well with the crisis, and share prices are still down.

I would, being 18, split my 10,000 on long-term investments (Tesla, Apple, Amazon, Disney, etc.) or materials (Gold, Oil, Steel).
    Only from ETF's I would keep my hands off. Even though I think Michal Burry and others are partly extroverted narcissists, I think we have a bubble in passive investment. Just like in the European housing market.

Syynik and VlmsGnereb like this.
  9. BoooOnLive

BoooOnLive New Member

And as you can see, within HOURS, the DAX is dropping again by over 6%.
    Volatility is never a good sign. It reminds me of the post-boom variety in the crypto market. Please be very careful right now. Right now, a lot of inexperienced investors are jumping on the bandwagon. But these people are jumping back just as quickly. This distortion is very dangerous for us investors. I stand by my statement. Black April incoming. You are welcome to disprove my opinion.

Sorry for the german graphic. Like I said in the introduction thread, I'm from Germany, but born in the US :D

upload_2020-3-25_11-51-10.png

Syynik likes this.
  10. Ramon

Ramon New Member

thank you so much for this reply. It really means a lot to me! I will do what you recommend and wait until mid April to spend my 10k on those long term companies! Is there anything else you would like to inform me on? Being a beginner, anything you tell me will be something I don’t know, even if it’s basic. I’m 18 and want to learn as much as possible at a young age so that I can be successful later on. I’m at an age where I can afford to fail and learning from it, rather than failing later in life
    Thank you very much, sir
    -Ramon Barneda