Margin questions for a newbie (paper trading)

Discussion in 'Ask any question!' started by TinneM, Jan 2, 2021.

1. TinneM

TinneM New Member

Hello Stockaholics,

Could someone help me how to calculate the margin for this? I don’t understand the math, and I would like to practice it in my paper trading account.

If I want to increase my position in a stock, the share price is $10 and I need a margin deposit of 20% to open the position, if I put down $1000 how many shares can I buy?

If I want to purchase government bonds, and looking for a maturity between 5-10 years. The initial margin requirement is 10% of the market value. The bond I selected is %115 with a face value of $1000, if I invest $1000 how many bonds can I buy given the margin requirements?

If I want to purchase government bonds, and looking for a maturity between 5-10 years, the initial margin requirement is %10 of the market value. The bond I selected is trading at $115 with a face value of $1000. I wish to invest $1000 what is the total exposure and actual margin requirement I need?

Thank you

2. spindr0

spindr0 Active Member

Regarding the margin for the additional share purchase, there's insufficient information.

In the U.S., Reg T margin is 50% for long positions but if you already own marginable shares, they can provide some of the margin for a new position. So the answer depends on your locale, the initial margin rate, how much you own in marginable securities and the amount of free cash.