Media arbitrage

Discussion in 'Investing' started by TomB16, Mar 6, 2024.

1. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

It's hilarious how incompetent, negligent, and biased the media is. At the same time, it is horrifying to realize how many people rely on media streams for news in sound byte form. They are more concerned with brevity than accuracy and just about everyone will say that straight out.

This morning, I was reading a Reuters article on BYD price cuts. It was a breaking news type article. I was thinking, "I knew this information three weeks ago and shared it 10 days ago. Reuters is just rolling around to mentioning it now?"

Reuters are incompetent clowns, compared to TomB16. Reuters is my bitch. So is Bloomberg and the rest. I don't know what's going on at CNBC but its neither news nor coherent thought. CNBC is a joy buzzer with a word salad ticker.

It is getting increasingly difficult to resist trading on this information. I'm sitting on a couple of gems right now that seem like they would allow me to buy a fresh loaf of bread to feed the pigeons at the landfill where I live.

This is a solicitation and a request from a friend. I am asking you directly to talk me out of this hubris induced notion to trade a couple of these ideas and see what happens. Please. I'm begging.

2. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

3. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

I'm reading about the Alaska Airlines / Hawaiian Airlines merger and the outright lies are almost too much to comprehend.

They are presenting it as a huge win for people of both Alaska and Hawaii because both will now have hundreds of additional destination opportunities. The truth is, there will be zero additional destination opportunities. At least, initially. Who knows what will happen long term.

They aren't even going to rebrand under one name so you will still need to buy both Alaska and Hawaiian flight tickets to traverse between the two networks. The only difference is perhaps they will allow purchase of both tickets under a single web portal, without having to go to a ticket broker like everyone does, anyway.

4. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

We don't need any more data points to see the trend in media reporting accuracy but I find this mildly amusing.

Forbes posted an article that AMD's 9000 series CPUs will be 40% faster than 7000 series.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/antony...than-current-ryzen-7000-cpus/?sh=3dc7e050b6a0

Of course, this is total bologna.

AVX-512 instructions are expected to be 30~40% faster on Zen 5 than on Zen 4. Some of that will be process improvements.

AVX-512 instruction improvements will speed niche processing, such as video transcoding.

Overall performance gain will be closer to 7~8%.

Zen 6, expected by mid 2025, will gain a nice boost from the N3P process and it is expected to double core count. Add in the typical 5% IPC boost per generation (wildly speculated) and you have 12~14% gain.

roadtonowhere08 likes this.
  5. roadtonowhere08

roadtonowhere08 Well-Known Member

40% seems very high. I'm going to guess the generational speed increase to be (assuming same clocks) about 15-20%. Still great gains.

Personally, I want more PCIe lanes and more RAM channels without paying insane TR prices.