My Investment Journey

Discussion in 'Investing' started by Jsmfof, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Jsmfof

Jsmfof New Member

Hi everyone. I’m a new investor in the stock market. I just opened a brokerage account at the end of this past February but I’ve been fairly obsessed with learning as much as possible about it since that time. As I’m new, my beliefs have been changing fairly regularly as I’ve acquired new information and experience. Nonetheless, they’ve started to become fixed enough that I doubt they’ll change too drastically until after the market provides me feedback through my returns.

As I’ve been researching and evaluating material individually to this point, I’d like to post my current stock picks/thoughts to not only document my journey, but also to see the responses others have to my views.

My biggest influence so far has been Michael Burry and my interpretation of his methods in his writings on MSN Money. My stock picking decisions will be made based on trying to learn as much as possible about companies with promising fundamentals and a strong balance sheet.

Current Portfolio:

BABA

MSFT

FIVE (five below)

SMLR (semler scientific)

TOMZ (tomi environmental solutions)

I’m currently looking at BHAT (blue hat interactive entertainment technology) and PRDO (perdoceo education corporation)

StockJock-e and T0rm3nted like this.
  2. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Welcome, looking forward to watching your progress :)

3. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

Cool intro, seeing there can be all kinds of influences.

Do you see FIVE being better than DG (Dollar General)? DLTR (Dollar Tree) is the weakest of those dollar stores.

SMLR fundamentals caught my eye before but I can't touch something that trades 10,000 shares a day.

4. Jsmfof

Jsmfof New Member

Thanks and good luck to you in your money-making endeavors

5. Jsmfof

Jsmfof New Member

My opinions on those two stocks have changed since I first bought them. I just opened my brokerage account at the end of February and I bought FIVE sometime in March before I read my first sec filing. SMLR was the first stock where I actually took the time to read the latest quarterly report and listened in on the earnings call. Knowing what I know now about pricing, I wouldn’t necessarily buy them at that time if I had a redo because some of the growth had been incorporated into the share price. That being said, I do believe they’ll yield good returns and they’re still worth holding.

I was waiting on the first quarter results for FIVE before I did a deeper analysis of it, but I’d say that it superficially seems better than DG at the moment. I read up on stocks when I have time and it takes me a few days to decide if I can come up with a viable thesis for any particular issue. I wanted to get started on FIVE today so I’m going to do that and I’ll probably post my thoughts on it after the next few days.