Newb

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by zman537, Apr 24, 2018.

1. zman537

zman537 New Member

Hey my name is Zach. I'm new new new to this whole stock market thing. I'm using robinhood. Anyone use it? likes/Dislikes??. Also I'm not looking to be a day trader at all. I'm bad at picking stocks that I know will jump in three days and sell. I'm looking more for longer periods like 1-5 years. So far I have picked up GERN, ATOS, NVCN (because it was cheap cheap)and that's it. I'm not really big on FANG stocks, I seem to lose out on that immediately. so any suggestions are appreciated.

2. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Welcome to the forums, hope to see you around!

In regards to your question, when it comes to long-term buys, you'll probably want to research the "Dividend Aristocrats". These are stocks that pay out dividends and historically out-perform the S&P. These would be safer bets and would help you grow your account if you do indeed want to invest long-term.

When you say you don't like FANG stocks because you lose "immediately", I'd challenge you to consider the time-frame that you are trading on. If you are noticing you're down a few % on your entry, I'd suggest you have some patience. 1-5 years is a lot of time for that trade to turn around.

Always develop a trade plan for a stock before entering that trade. Stick to it, unless you have a REALLY good reason for deviating from your plan. If you plan to enter a stock at a price of $50 and you're looking at it making it to $75, make that your target. Maybe you see that there's support at $45, but below that the stock could drop to ANYWHERE and you have no idea where the low could be. Set your stop somewhere that you're comfortable with to prevent massive losses. That's just a basic example of a trade plan. You should have a reason for entering the trade, a point where you say "OK, this is where I'm taking my profit out", and a point where you cut your losses and move on.

OldFart likes this.
  3. Onepoint272

Onepoint272 2019 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Master the following relationships:

Supply vs. Demand
    Effort vs. Result
    Cause vs. Effect

OldFart likes this.
  4. Ravishankar

Ravishankar New Member

Hi my name is ravishankar. I'm new to this forum but have some prior knowledge about this whole stock market thing. Also I trade in Indian Stock market in both the positions that is intraday and positional. But I do not trade in all segments, only in equity but have some knowledge about commodity and forex as well.

5. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

6. OldFart

OldFart Well-Known Member