Newbie Here

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by TJL86, Aug 19, 2020.

1. TJL86

TJL86 New Member

Hi everyone. New investor here. Opened a brokerage account in March at the market lows. I bought and sold a lot of cheap stock that rose very quickly. My current portfolio consists of:

APPL
    AMD
    CVX
    GOLD
    JPM
    RTX
    SPY

Thoughts?

2. A55

A55 Well-Known Member

Buffett is trimming his bank positions, and loading into Bank of America. Some people are down on banks at the moment. Financial sector is low. Buy low, sell high. No danger at the moment for large banks to go belly up. Do enough homework to determine which bank will not fold, and has a potential for future earnings.

Chevron is a good dividend. Some believe that oil companies will be obsolete. I don't think that is any time soon. I think oil is still good for awhile. Chevron is big enough to survive and swallow smaller companies.

Apple is good. I think it has more growth potential. Apple isn't global yet. Surprised? Go to a poor country. Not many poor people have iPhones. Children in 3rd world villages don't have iPads.

Raytheon. Missiles. A captive audience. Who is buying missiles? How many? Who makes a competitive missile? I like defense. Government will always buy weapons.

AMD is good at selling. They don't manufacture. 7nm chips are made by Taiwan.

I don't buy gold shares, or mining stocks. I like gold bars. I want a real piece of gold in my hand under my pillow next to my handgun. I buy gold low. It's not low right now. Buy gold with the intention of trading it. Not to horde it.

TJL86 likes this.
  3. A55

A55 Well-Known Member

fyi...

The more senior members often refrain from giving specific advice to anyone. Hopefully, you don't get a lot of people trying to steer you into something they are trying to pump up.

Use your best judgement. Low price stock has a low price for a reason. You can buy penny stocks. And some penny stocks could be good companies and are good small companies. There are funds which trade shares under $5. My own portfolio has benefitted from buying Ford under $5. There are riskier options offering high yields, like Business Development Companies, and even some single digit REIT and mortgage companies. You need to see the bigger picture and understand why the stock is valued so low. Understand the dynamics of the underlying business. Don't fall into the pump and dump trap.

4. DaddyatorG

DaddyatorG New Member

Hey, welcome, I guess, I'm brand new myself.

Best thing to do is take time to learn and to decide what kind of trading and/or investing you want to do. Also, you should think about what your goals are.

5. WiHole

WiHole New Member

Welcome, TJL86