Official NBA Thread

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Stockaholic, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Stockaholic

Stockaholic Content Manager

Hmm... I guess we never had an NBA thread in here so here it is.

Admittedly I don't really follow the NBA much nowadays as I had been in during much of my youth. Albeit the local team down here for me the hornets have improved nicely last season so maybe giving me some reason to start getting more interested again.

The NBA season just opened up the season last night. Grats to the Cavs finally ending the city of Cleveland's championship drought last season. Looks like they are right back to where they left off with a blowout victory over my once beloved Knicks lol.

Meanwhile holy blowout Spurs over the Warriors batman! Did not expect that kind of result. Especially not with the new faces for golden state this year with Kevin Durant.

Any of you guys follow the NBA? I'm hoping the hornets continue their success this season because both my local NFL and nhl teams are stinking it up pretty go thus far in their respective seasons... :mad:

2. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Not a big fan of the NBA myself, but I'll cheer the Bulls on casually if they make the playoffs. I've found the league lacks any sort of parity at all, and it's all about acting now for the refs and acquiring superstars. Not much of a team game, and more of a 2-3 players game now. Definitely my least favorite of the 4 big sports in the US (Football, Baseball, Hockey, Basketball).

3. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Basketball is my favorite sport, so yes I do follow the NBA :p I would be happy if the Warriors not winning it all this season lol.

4. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

I love college basketball, maybe even more than the NBA, definitely during the regular season. Just too much sandbagging in the NBA whether it's the rough schedule with back-to-back nights, the 76ers trying to get the #1 pick, etc.

But I love the game of basketball. I really got into the NBA again thanks to fantasy games...I admit it. But that was 3 years ago. I want to watch more games again...

The Spurs are still great? No Duncan, Manu and Parker are retiring soon too, Aldridge with the rumors that he wants to leave, yet they beat the Warriors by 29.

5. stock1234

The Spurs should still be one of the best in the league, Kawhi Leonard is a superstar now and Aldridge is still in his prime. I don't think they can beat the Warriors though.

6. anotherdevilsadvocate

OKC's Westbrook gets to be the everything man now. Will probably have some nice numbers; but not sure if the team will keep on winning. Very rare for a guy to put up outrageous numbers for a top tier team.

7. Stockaholic

How 'bout them Hornets eh? 2-0 start to the season ... if this continues I may just have to follow the NBA closely this season :D

8. anotherdevilsadvocate

Toronto's DeMar DeRozan scored 72 points in first 2 games. Averaged 23 ppg last year, so he's a bona fide scorer. Amazing thing is he's a 6'7" shooting guard who has not made a single 3-pointer this year, and has never been good at shooting them. The thing that will stop him from averaging 30 ppg is he can't keep putting up 25 shots a game.

9. stock1234

Westbrook is off to a ridiculous start, without Durant he will have to do a lot for the Thunder.

10. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

That's an incredible fact. 72 points in 2 games without a 3-pointer, as a shooting guard.

11. stock1234

They should make the Playoffs again this year :D A very good player in Kemba Walker and a pretty good head coach too. A healthy Michael Kidd Gilchrist should be helpful too

12. Stockaholic

Whelp the Hornets are 7-3 through 10 games here ... not too shabby at all. :D

I was even thinking about attending the game tonight against the Atlanta Hawks ... but other plans popped up here for me. Oh well. Maybe some other game.

13. Stockaholic

He did what?! :eek:

60 points in under 30 minutes?

Crazy to think but dude coulda gone for at least 80 if not more had he played in the 4th! Unreal...

T0rm3nted likes this.
  14. Stockaholic

i'm still not really following the nba season much (yet) but i may have to soon! check out who is leading the southeast div in the east thus far :eek:

[​IMG]

i mean it's still early though, but hey, this is something we haven't seen down here in a really loooooooong time ...

15. stock1234

The Hornets have a great chance to win the division I think, not that strong of a division ;)

16. Stockaholic

I think so too. Hornets still going strong into the new year! I'm going to try to follow a bit more closely now that my lowly Panthers season is done with. Could be an interesting season for these guys. :D

17. Stockaholic

Bah...on the flip side the Hornets are on a recent 4-game losing streak here and have falling to .500 and 8th in the east with the Bulls & Knicks right there behind them. Man, it's been a pretty rough pro-sports year here in NC. Panthers are out. 'Canes are just barely hanging in there. And now so are the Hornets. I realize the regular season still has a few months to go here, so I'll hope we're still in a good position for a playoff spot. We'll see.

18. Dre4

Dre4 Member

That and losing the all star game, ACC tourny and NCAA's. Was hoping to go to the first since I missed out on the one in Toronto due to being in NC at the time. Also always wanted to go to ACCs, although with it in Brooklyn this year I have an excuse to go to NY for a weekend. Doesn't hurt that Buffalo is getting opening rounds this year either :)

19. Stockaholic

Bad time for the Hornets to be slumping here ... recently came off a 7-game losing streak that knocked them out of the playoff picture. Hoping they can make a good run in these final 2 months of the season to at least make a playoff spot. It's about all I got to look forward to as far as pro sports are concerned for me lol.

20. anotherdevilsadvocate

Hey Cy how's Kemba Walker look?

I saw that Joel Embiid got injured, and was taking a look at his stats -- they're something else. 7' 250 lb. guy that shoots 3.2 treys per game (37% is OK). His overall shooting is only 46.6%. Making a note to watch a game next season to see what kind of shots he is taking. Lots of blocks (2.5 bpg) but not much rebounds (7.8 rpg). Decent # of assists (2.1 apg) too. Imagine if those numbers improve in his second season.