Official NBA Thread

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Stockaholic, Oct 26, 2016.

1. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Health is a big concern for Embiid. If he stays healthy, I like his chance of becoming the superstar big man in the league.

2. Stockaholic

Stockaholic Content Manager

haha just seeing this now my bad! man, i'll have to be honest here but i kind of gave up following after that losing streak the other month. looks like the hornets are all but toast for the season. their chances to get in are slim to none at this point.

not get off-topic here but i didn't feel like starting up a new thread for this ... but are any of you following the ncaa tournament? there have been some crazy good games! who do you all got to get to the championship game and win it all? i'm going with tar heels baby! should be a great game later today against kentucky. :D

3. stock1234

The NBA draft is considered as very strong this year, maybe the Hornets can pick a good player in the lottery this year ;)

My bracket is totally screwed because I had Duke and Arizona in the Finals :p I am hoping for some big upsets in the Elite 8 :p

4. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

I do the bracket for fun on ESPN. Every year I'm pretty good at getting the early rounds, I'm in the 90th percentile. But I always screw up the later rounds and you lose big points if you get the champ wrong. North Carolina looks great, the game against Kentucky should be good. Since I picked UK to win it all :cool:
    UK handled Arkansas pretty easily, who is a dangerous team that would have beat UNC in a 32 minute game lol. They're the only hope I have left in the bracket, along with Gonzaga.

Was just wondering about Kemba Walker because he seemed destined to be a great college player that only lasted a couple years in the NBA (Bobby Hurley, Jimmer can't-even-remember-his-last-name, etc.). But he seems to be the star of this team.

5. anotherdevilsadvocate

Not surprised Kentucky lost :cool:
    They lost to a good team.

Stockaholic likes this.
  6. stock1234

Russell Westbrook continues to rack up triple double :eek:

7. Stockaholic

Well it was nice to see the Tar Heels win the NCAA tourney, albeit the officiating was pretty brutal to say the least.

As for the Hornets .... whelp ... better luck next season I guess. That last game against Miami was tough to watch. Heat set a franchise record for 20 or whatever so 3's they made. Insane.

The thing I got to look forward to as far as pro sports go for now is the upcoming NFL (Panthers) season. But sadly that is still a few months away. Otherwise, it's going to be a pretty boring summer here. The 'Canes (NHL) are out of it as well. =/

8. Stockaholic

playoffs set to begin here! who do you all got to get to the finals? any surprises? i assume we're all pretty much thinking GS back in the finals in the west? how about the east? boston? cleveland again? :D

9. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

GS vs Cleveland. NBA is a snoozefest because of the predictability. That's why I prefer hockey.

Will still EXTREMELY casually root for the Bulls though.

10. stock1234

Yeah I think it will be the Warriors against the Cavs again. The Cavs aren't really playing that great though, but they have LeBron and the East is weak :p

11. anotherdevilsadvocate

I'd be surprised if it was GS vs. Cleveland again :p
    Boston has got a good coach.
    GS is real good, but their opponent in the conference final will have an MVP candidate (is Kawhi Leonard a candidate?)

Disclaimer: I didn't watch any games this year :p, I am a very casual follower.

12. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Everything I've heard about Boston is that they have no superstars, they're just a well-rounded team. I can't remember anyone other than the Spurs recently going to the finals with that kind of build. Superstars run the league in the NBA.

13. Stockaholic

Haven't really gotten the chance to watch many of the 1st round games up to this point. But, I did catch some of the Boston/Chicago Game 2 the other night. Man they were up 2-0 going back home with a chance at the sweep on their home floor. We'll see how the rest of this series plays out. I'm rooting for the Bulls to pull it out. But, thinking Boston might take it 7 games. Any other series worth keeping an eye on?

Although I didn't see it but heard the Cavs pulled out of a 26-point 2nd half hole in Game 3 to pull it out in Indiana the other night. Dayum. :eek:

14. Stockaholic

Dang it. Bulls look to be done. It was a good run though! Still rooting for them to take it back to Boston for Game 7 but not sure if it's gonna happen tonight...

Going to try to catch some of the other series this weekend...admittedly I've missed a lot of the action thus far.

Not really any big surprises as of yet?

15. stock1234

The Bulls haven't looked the same after losing Rondo :( I used to be a big Bulls fan in the MJ era :p No surprise in the first round so far to be honest, pretty much all of the favorites moved to the next round :p

16. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

At least the Bulls put up a fight.

17. Stockaholic

not really seeing much of any surprises here in the 2nd round either eh? looks like most of the teams that were favorites going into the 2nd round are taking care of business at least in the first 2 games in.

18. Stockaholic

anything special going on here? i'm seeing pretty much all of the favorites are winning thus far? no fun! lol.

19. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

It's the NBA. What else would happen?

20. Stockaholic

i used to be a big time nba fan back in my childhood years ... not so much nowadays ... pretty boring playoffs to say the least :confused: