Official NBA Thread

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Stockaholic, Oct 26, 2016.

1. ddebrazza

ddebrazza Active Member

We shall see. I thought for sure he was going to choke in the 1st round against LA

Luckily the Suns are very well balanced with or without him. He is obviously an amazing PG when healthy though. He will be back for Game 3

I dont see the Hawks being able to beat the Bucks but then again I did not see Atlanta beating Philly either. That was a huge upset in my mind.

2. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Man Trae Young is fun to watch

3. ddebrazza

ddebrazza Active Member

Same with John Collins. If they beat the Bucks it will be because of John Collins. Future All-Star

Game 3 of Suns vs. Clippers tonight baby!!

4. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Yeah Young is a stud for sure. The 2018 NBA draft was pretty good, you have Ayton, Doncic and Young. The Kings really screwed up by passing up Doncic and Young :rolleyes2:

5. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

USA Basketball lost to Nigeria 90-87.
    https://apnews.com/article/2020-tok...olympic-team-7afdd39c0551bccd2f5cd35a41349978
    We even took more free throws 32-to-10 and lost.

I've said it before, but I'm not sure about building a team based on advanced stats. We could easily score 120 before.

The old days, Shaq beats a guy on the low post he gets 2 points. Iverson beats a guy on the dribble he gets 2 points.
    Nowadays, Harden dances away from a guy on the perimeter and there's a 40% chance he'll get 3 points.

This team has Durant and Lillard; but no Zion Williamson.

6. anotherdevilsadvocate

Zion didn't want to play, I should add.

Advanced stats looks approvingly on building on 40% 3-point shooters.
    We forgot to get individuals who can beat their man 1-on-1 to get 2 points; we should have a larger talent advantage in the international game.

7. ddebrazza

ddebrazza Active Member

I have not cared to follow the US Men's team in quite some time.

Looking forward to Game 4 tonight baby!!! Phoenix in 5.

8. stock1234

Well I want the US to win gold but I also want to see some competitive games. A weaker US team might make the Olympics more fun to watch :D

9. stock1234

I am rooting for the Bucks in the Finals but can go either way I guess. CP3 hasn't played well in this series so far though, good to see Giannis somehow avoided a very serious injury in the previous round too, he is looking great

10. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm rooting for the Suns, been the best playoffs that I can remember since Jordan

11. Dan Thunderbolt

Dan Thunderbolt Well-Known Member

2011 was the best playoffs to watch since Jordan ;)

[​IMG]

stock1234 likes this.
  12. stock1234

Are you German or a Mavs fan? Dirk is a legend ;)

Dan Thunderbolt likes this.
  13. Dan Thunderbolt

Dan Thunderbolt Well-Known Member

I am German. Indeed he is a legend :) Though not my fav team anymore I still like the Mavs in particular with Luka.

stock1234 likes this.
  14. ddebrazza

ddebrazza Active Member

Suns are choking hard.

Bucks have looked unstoppable the last couple games.

If Suns win Game 6, they will win the series though.

15. stock1234

Well the Playoffs started with a lot of star players getting new injuries it seems like :eek:

16. anotherdevilsadvocate

US lost in World Cup semifinals to ... Germany?!

In fairness to the players, it was extraordinarily close, and could have gone either way. Looking at the box score, US shot great, everything is nearly identical: 2pt shooting 65% vs 68%, 3pt shooting 12/25 vs 13/30, FT shooting 23/24 vs 18/22, rebounds 28 vs 30.
    https://www.fiba.basketball/basketballworldcup/2023/game/0809/USA-Germany#tab=boxscore

This is "just" the World Cup, so the biggest star for the US was Anthony Edwards (who looked awesome). It will probably always be a problem to get the absolute Best 5 nowadays that we can get.

But I continue to be uninspired by "advanced stats team-building". In baseball, where this all started, the Oakland A's were great in the regular season but never won a World Series. At the end of the day, you build on top of your best talent, and give them the tool of "advanced stats" to maximize their potential.

How the hell do we think we can play without a Center? I know a lot of the good centers in the NBA are foreign, but they ain't on Germany. Franz Wagner? Never heard of him before.

17. stock1234

Yeah anytime the US loses in a basketball game it is a shocker. The rosters will be a lot better for the Olympics I assume, it is not soccer so the Olympics is actually more important than the World Cup :lauging:Edwards is awesome like you said, I assume he will be back for Paris next year.

This is Steve Kerr basketball lol, he loves small ball and he doesn't like to play big men, unfortunately it doesn't look like small ball works that well in international basketball :eek2:Maybe he can get Draymond Green and Curry for Paris next year to get his small ball style working :D Still expect the US to be the heavy favorites next year but if Kerr sticks with small ball then I can smell an upset again.

anotherdevilsadvocate likes this.
  18. anotherdevilsadvocate

It doesn't work without Curry and Klay. Kerr sucks as a coach. His ass was just in the right place at the right time (as a player, and as a coach). Remember when he was sick(?) and Luke Walton coached that team? Walton was undefeated, and fooled the Lakers into hiring him lol.

Someone needs to teach this team some defense, and how to psychologically crush opponents. Larry Bird wasn't one of the greatest because he had a real good jumpshot; he was one of the greatest because he could talk shit like no other. And his jumpshot backed up his mouth.

Nowadays players just live on the 3 point line.
    Btw US lost one more time, to Canada. And the star was Dillon Brooks, he is hated by nowadays players because he talks so much.

stock1234 likes this.
  19. stock1234

Yep I think Kerr was a little lucky for sure, the small ball wouldn't have worked so well if he didn't have Curry, Klay, Green and Iguodala, he is getting exposed in the World Cup :eek:

If LeBron, Durant, Curry and Draymond Green all play in the Olympics next year though then still pretty hard to see this US team would lose, I think not getting a medal in the World Cup might motivate some superstars to play in Paris next year :D

20. stock1234

Season starts today, I am ready to watch that Wemby kid from the Spurs :D