ON - ON Semiconductor Corporation

Discussion in 'Stock Message Boards NYSE, NASDAQ, AMEX' started by anotherdevilsadvocate, May 9, 2022.

1. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

ON Semiconductor Corporation
    Technology | Semiconductors | USA

ON Semiconductor Corporation provides intelligent sensing and power solutions worldwide. Its intelligent power technologies enable the electrification of the automotive industry that allows for lighter and longer-range electric vehicles, empowers fast-charging systems, and propels sustainable energy for the solar strings, industrial power, and storage systems. The company operates through three segments the Power Solutions Group, the Advanced Solutions Group, and the Intelligent Sensing Group segments. It offers analog, discrete, module, and integrated semiconductor products that perform multiple application functions, including power switching and conversion, signal conditioning, circuit protection, signal amplification, and voltage regulation functions. The company also designs and develops analog, mixed-signal, advanced logic, application specific standard product and ASICs, radio frequency, and integrated power solutions for end-users in end-markets, as well as provides foundry and design services for government customers. In addition, it develops complementary metal oxide semiconductor image sensors, image signal processors, and single photon detectors, including silicon photomultipliers and single photon avalanche diode arrays, as well as actuator drivers for autofocus and image stabilization for a broad base of end-users in various end-markets. ON Semiconductor Corporation was incorporated in 1992 and is headquartered in Phoenix, Arizona.

TomB16 likes this.
  2. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

Good thread, ADA. Thanks!

On Semi has turned into the clearing house of semiconductors.

They make replacement semiconductors for quite a bit of obsolete equipment from the 1970s that I continue to maintain. The most common, jellybean, small signal transistors are an On Semi part. This is actually a decent business, as I understand it.

They also make a lot of signal processing ICs for sensors, etc.

They started modestly and small, content to bulk manufacture on older process nodes the "boring" stuff still needed by the world. They have evolved a lot closer to the leading edge, though. And, they are anything but small by now.

IMO, On Semi displays the behaviour and success of a well run company.

Believe me, I've analyzed this company over the years like the Zapruder film.

3. anotherdevilsadvocate

I couldn't easily find the story you posted the other day about ON moving operations from facility in Shanghai to facilities in Manila and Singapore.

Now with what you post above, I might have a guess: were they making the leading edge stuff in Shanghai, while the boring stuff is in Manila/Singapore?

ON is down ~30% from the highs, but so are all the technology indices so ON has a nice relative strength. And their pullback looks rather orderly, and supported.
    [​IMG]

#3 anotherdevilsadvocate, May 9, 2022
    Last edited: May 9, 2022
  4. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

This isn't the article I read before but it's the same info.

https://www.scmp.com/tech/tech-tren...nsemi-latest-warn-shanghai-disruptions-supply

I don't know what locations are used to manufacture specific parts.

I'm sure you're up to speed but keep in mind semiconductors require lithography, bumping, and packaging. These steps are typically done in different facilities. When they say a chip is leaving a plant, that doesn't mean it's ready to float through a wave soldering machine or pick and place onto a board.

I'm not sure it matters what process is done where, as long as they can work around the Shanghai shutdown.

They look really good to me. They might have a few tough quarters but their business is as solid as any other business I'm familiar with.

#4 TomB16, May 9, 2022
    Last edited: May 9, 2022
  5. anotherdevilsadvocate

Still holding above that trend line.
    upload_2022-6-16_15-0-56.png