Poll: Are you an investor or a trader?

Discussion in 'Investing' started by emmett kelly, Jul 23, 2020.

?

Which are you?

1. Investor

23 vote(s)
    45.1%
  2. Trader

5 vote(s)
    9.8%
  3. Both, but weighted more in trading

5 vote(s)
    9.8%
  4. Both, but weighted more in investing

17 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. Drop dead, Emmett

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  1. Onepoint272

Onepoint272 2019 Stockaholics Contest Winner

No, not investors. The word "hypocrite" comes to mind, especially after all the school marming on what a losing proposition is trading and after all the preaching on the virtues of holding and never selling. But hey, we all change our minds, grow, and learn that the lines are blurry.

But, this guy, Anthony Deden, in my opinion defines what it means to be a true "investor" as he advocates, "...you have to leave the financial system completely."

#61 Onepoint272, Mar 15, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
    Rustic1 likes this.
  2. Onepoint272

If it matters I voted "Both but weighted more in investing". Whatever that means. The difference between the two, in both the poll and responses appears to focus on time frame. However, I have found that people who do not know how to trade, how to use an edge, how to weigh probabilities, how to manage a trade, regardless of time frame, tend to say they focus on the fundamental data pissed out by the companies and media. I don't rely on that data at all except perhaps to gage how untruthful, misguided, cheerleading or disparaging, and most importantly, how "timely" it might be in relation to what the market action is showing. In that sense, I'm a trader and for the time being, more precisely a position trader of varying time frames. I will change my vote to "Both but weighted more in trading".

#62 Onepoint272, Mar 15, 2021
    Rustic1 likes this.
  3. Onepoint272

Actually, after further consideration, I changed my vote to "Trader". I can't do what Anthony Deden does, other than in my own business enterprises.

Oh sure I own stocks that pay me dividends, but there are no stocks that I would not sell when the time is right, when the big boys are clearly heading for the exits.

#63 Onepoint272, Mar 15, 2021
    Rustic1 likes this.
  4. Dave Kraayeveld

Dave Kraayeveld Active Member

I absolutely love passion. Your keyboard is screaming. "that is a compliment". My opinion is that I strongly encourage people to really understand what opinion means. Whatever somebody posts I always want to ask why do you feel that way. For me the question would be why would it matter. In 1959 my dad took me to a bank in a small village in Wisconsin and taught me the number #1 financial principle in an investment philosophy. I believe in 1929 his father taught him that same principle in Holland. So if the market crashes in 1929 or tomorrow does my grandfather's first principle work. YES. The greater question I would have for you or anyone on this website is "what are your goals and explain the how, what, why, when, and where of what you do. So if you are a trader, what criteria do you use in your decisions? I am looking for conversation. One of my principles is to ask close associates if they see a flaw in a money decision I am about to make. Thanks for reading. Earlier I asked about CPNG which I bought on Friday. Are you willing to share with me why you would or wouldn't hold a position in that company? Hope to here back and that your trading goes well.

Onepoint272 likes this.
  5. Onepoint272

I still have a small farm in a NW WI "township". My kids went to elementary school in a "village", and so I found your reference to a "small village" uniquely connective, as subdivisions of state government do include "villages" in Wisconsin and I worked for a number of them as a consulting engineer. I wouldn't trade CPNG because it has only been on the market for 3 days and to make sense of the market action I'd have to go down to 10-minute or perhaps 30-minute bars, which is fine except that I don't presently have the time available during the trading session. Did you start or is there already a thread for CPNG? I will post there if I can find it.

#65 Onepoint272, Mar 16, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    Rustic1 likes this.
  6. Rustic1

Rustic1 Well-Known Member

Still hold my positions.
    I did not change my vote in this poll.
    Have changed my stance to INVESTOR to join the masses.
    However my definition is a bit off cue.

I invest in MYSELF 100% by not having all of my funds tied up. I can work both sides of the tape and have flexibility to endure the storm. When the sectors rotate and the water gets cold, makes no difference to me whatsoever. HOPIUM is a substance I need not consume, RUMDUM is a beverage I choose not to drink.

Happy investing/trading.
    Cheers. :cool2:

Dave Kraayeveld and Syynik like this.
  7. emmett kelly

emmett kelly Well-Known Member

since the thread has become an exercise in semantics, let's go with jean folger's definition for the purposes of this poll. see link for more details. and thank you to all of the participants.

Investing vs. Trading: What's the Difference? (investopedia.com)

By JEAN FOLGER
    Updated Jan 16, 2020

Investing and trading are two very different methods of attempting to profit in the financial markets. Both investors and traders seek profits through market participation. In general, investors seek larger returns over an extended period through buying and holding. Traders, by contrast, take advantage of both rising and falling markets to enter and exit positions over a shorter timeframe, taking smaller, more frequent profits.

8. Rustic1

Rustic1 Well-Known Member

Drop dead Emmett.

Onepoint272 and emmett kelly like this.
  9. Dave Kraayeveld

No my computer skills means starting a thread is nearly impossible for the old man. I believe Rustic is earning a boy scout badge for helping an old man type. Don't get offended but i don't know what a 10 minute or 30 minute bar is. Not saying that is bad or good. No one ever taught me. It has only been on Wall Street for 3 days. It has been doing well in South Korea since 2010.

10. spindr0

spindr0 Active Member

Sadly, it appears that it has fallen on me to edumacate you.

The difference between a 10 minute or 30 minute bar is the quality of the beer.

#70 spindr0, Mar 17, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
    Onepoint272 and Rustic1 like this.
  11. Dave Kraayeveld

Are you serious, I grew up in the land of sky blue waters. Finally a good joke.

Onepoint272 likes this.
  12. emmett kelly

i finished the second hour of the deden interview last night. very intriguing man and a rebel to boot. thanks for sharing.

Syynik, Onepoint272 and Rustic1 like this.
  13. spindr0

spindr0 Active Member

Onepoint272 likes this.
  14. Dave Kraayeveld

So I have both bought and held and bought and sold. My oldest buy and hold is from April 18, 2008. on that day I bought PRGFX. On that day the price was just over 31.00. Today it is over 100. On 12-14-2017 it paid a paltry 8.50 dividend. I also believe someone with T-Rowe in 2006 decided to add an emerging stock called Amazon which holds the number 1 position in the fund. So I either invested in PRGFX or i did a trade on 4-18-2008. I would say either way that was a good choice. The bonus is I included Mr. Roth as the holder of the money which is the same as cash. My worst decision is for my eyes only.

15. Dave Kraayeveld

Didn't Jean's dad invent Folger's coffee?

Onepoint272 likes this.
  16. spindr0

spindr0 Active Member

The local participation rate may force me to learn how to play Candy Crush.

Onepoint272 and Rustic1 like this.
  17. Onepoint272

No, I think it was Juanita's dad, Juan. Jaun Valdez.

No wait, he was just a coffee grower.

18. emmett kelly

now, gentlemen, let's give ms folger the credit she deserves.

[​IMG]

Jean Folger

Jean Folger has 15+ years of experience as a financial writer covering real estate, investing, active trading, retirement planning, and retiring abroad.

She is co-founder of PowerZone Trading, a company that has provided programming, consulting, and strategy development services to active traders and investors since 2004.

In the past, Jean has been a real estate broker, an English teacher, and a trip leader for an adventure travel company.

Education
    Jean graduated with a bachelor's degree from Ohio University.

Quote from Jean Folger
    "Planning for retirement isn't just about stashing away money. It's just as important to invest in your health. Any money you spend today on your health and fitness—whether it's to eat well, hit the trail (or gym), or pick up a new sport—can be considered an investment in your retirement."

Dave Kraayeveld and Rustic1 like this.
  19. emmett kelly

47.5% investors. doesnt seem accurate based on the posts here.

Syynik and TomB16 like this.
  20. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

We have a lot of members who "invest" in bitcoin.

I disregard people's self declarations

Syynik likes this.