Should I sell?

Discussion in 'Investing' started by Christopher Davis, Jul 18, 2021.

1. Christopher Davis

Christopher Davis New Member

Obviously a vague and open ended question, with lots of "it depends." But...Let's say I have ten stocks.
    • One is performing outstandingly.
    • Four are performing very well.
    • Five are down 10-40%.
    I've held them for about a year. I am not confident that the five underperforming are going to come back any time soon. I think they've found their levels for the foreseeable future. Obviously I have no crystal ball, but I'm kind of tired of looking at them hovering at 30-40% down for the last six months.

My question is, Should I sell the five, take the losses, and pile the proceeds into the others that are performing well? Or find some new holdings? Or should I wait them out to prevent locking in those losses? If that even works.

Thanks for any tips.

2. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

If you are holding some stocks that have not performed well during one of the best market rebounds in recent history, odds are they will do terribly when the markets do take a turn south.

Prune your portfolio of the poor performers, keep it cash for now because these markets are feeling a bit toppy. If we get a pull back, either add more to your winners or find something that sold off and is still very promising.

WXYZ likes this.
  3. Christopher Davis

Christopher Davis New Member

That seems like a pretty reasonable thing to do. Thanks.

StockJock-e likes this.
  4. devebacker

devebacker New Member

I completely agree - this is very correct advice.