Welcome Stockaholics!

We are a new and fast growing financial forum! Sign up for free and let's talk stocks!

1. Do you want to help develop this community? We are looking for contributions from investors and traders like you! What stocks do you follow? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing financial forum!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You will notice a live chat widget on the right. Click in to join us and lets hear about how you nailed that last UWTI trade!
    Dismiss Notice

Simple ways to save money next year.

Discussion in 'Personal Finance' started by Melissa, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Melissa

Melissa Member

Hey, guys! Do you often have to save money, or you don't like this occupation like me? I wonder whether it's necessary to treasure money in the coming year, or I can easily forget about it?
    Thank you in advance for your replies.

2. twerpner

twerpner Active Member

I would suggest you look into churning. Whether that be bank accounts or credit cards. It easily nets me a few thousand per year in cash or points to spend.

anotherdevilsadvocate likes this.
  3. OldFart

OldFart Well-Known Member

@Melissa

I'd say save as much as you can, without hurting your living standards. Always nice to have something saved up later on in life, even if it's only a small amount.

4. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

You can do surveys for money.

5. BermudianOption

BermudianOption Active Member

Automate your savings. Either schedule to automatically take some money from your bank account and put in your investment account, or use an app like Digit that automatically puts money aside for you.

6. Melissa

Melissa Member

Yeah, that's a problem that as a result, I get a small amount of savings. Actually, I'm that person who doesn't like to plan something for two/ more months ahead, I'm more spontaneous, and most often I do like "it's now or never" :)

7. Melissa

Melissa Member

You mean do surveys for online stores?

8. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stock Picking Contest Winner

https://www.bankrate.com/banking/savings/rates/

Rates still aren't great for saving accounts but a lot better than few years ago. Now I have online saving account only because it offers way better rates than the ones with branches.

bigbear0083 likes this.
  9. Three Eyes

Three Eyes Member

One way to get equal-to-or-slightly-better money market rates inside your equities account is to stash any uncommitted cash into a money market ETF like the PIMCO Enhanced Short Maturity Active ETF (MINT). It's very liquid, easy to get in and out, and preserves cash quite well for an equities instrument.

Timbo likes this.
  10. Timbo

Timbo Active Member

A whopping 15 bucks per thousand, then you have to pay taxes on it " depending on your tax bracket". That's why I pulled everything out last year and got involved in the markets, my broker pays a competitive interest rate on my uninvested funds. Pays a little chump change and my funds are there when I find the right trade.

11. Timbo

Timbo Active Member

I have learned to be conservative over the years, in my younger days I lived by the "paid on Friday-broke on Monday" mentality and it just didn't work out very well for me.

Jrich likes this.
  12. Melissa

Melissa Member

I wonder how you've learned to be conservative. Looks like it was hard for you to this, doesn't it? Sorry for my curiosity.

13. Melissa

Melissa Member

14. Timbo

Timbo Active Member

That was YEARS ago, it takes goals-disciplined decisions and time. I would like to retire in the next 5-7 years that is my goal, if I only spend/buy the things I actually need by being conservative, the goal becomes more realistic. If I go out and buy the latest gadget/gizmo that I can easily live without then I have rewarded myself with a undisciplined decision and taken a backstep to achieving my goals. Make sense???

15. Jrich

Jrich Well-Known Member

Start smoking... you'll find out quick how easy it is to come up with an extra $200 a month (pack a day)

Then quit, and put that $200 a month in your trading account