STLA - Stellantis

Discussion in 'Stock Message Boards NYSE, NASDAQ, AMEX' started by StockJock-e, Dec 2, 2023.

Tags:
  1. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Stellantis is one of the world's leading automakers and a mobility provider. In North America, it's best known for producing and selling vehicles in a portfolio of iconic and award-winning brands such as Jeep®, Chrysler, Dodge, Ram, Alfa Romeo and Fiat. Powered by its diversity, Stellantis leads the way the region and the world move – aspiring to become the greatest sustainable mobility tech company, not the biggest, while creating added value for all stakeholders as well as the communities in which it operates. For more information, visit www.stellantis.com.

[​IMG]

2. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Burry has been adding STLA to his holdings lately, they are investing $50B into EV development.

3. rg7803

rg7803 Well-Known Member

Great company......portuguese genius as top manager :D...

4. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Aha!

So we found one that is Portuguese approved!

5. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

Chrysler was on the verge of bankruptcy for decades. Not all that long ago, either. These days, Stellantis seems to be the best run of the big 3 American car companies.

I'm not confident any of the big 3 will survive the next decade but Stellantis currently looks to have the best chance and a real shot.

6. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

There is a Fiat EV coming in around $35k heading for the US markets.

Short range, 150miles or so.

TomB16 likes this.
  7. Money123

Money123 Active Member

https://www.theverge.com/2023/12/7/...-ev-battery-swap-deal-fiat-500e-spain#content

[​IMG]

Stellantis struck a deal with California-based EV battery swapping company Ample to power a fleet of shared Fiat 500e vehicles in Spain. But the company says the deal could eventually expand to include personally owned EVs in Europe and the US as well.

By becoming one of the first Western automakers to embrace battery swapping technology, Stellantis is betting that EV charging infrastructure in Europe and the US will remain a barrier to adoption in the near future, necessitating other solutions. Battery swapping could theoretically help EV owners power up and get moving without having to wait for long stretches at a charging station.

8. Money123

Money123 Active Member

Battery swapping something new I heard about.

9. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

I'm not big on battery swapping, for a variety of reasons, but it does solve a lot of problems.

A pack that has been charged at 1/2C is going to lost significantly longer than that same pack charged at 4C.

Also, ultra fast charging stations are nearly impossible with nearly any grid connection. Imagine a 4 position Tesla charging station with a peak charge rate of 350KW. If there are any losses at all, and there are, that is 1.5MW for 4 positions. Imagine calling a power company and asking for a 1.5MW grid connection? lol!

When you get down to 20KW, you can charge from a home service. Of course, you remain constrained on the total number of packs you can charge by the ingress power. This is where solar charging can make a lot of sense.

I'm impressed with Stellantis and I'm certainly cheering for them.

T0rm3nted likes this.
  10. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

With you there!

TomB16 likes this.
  11. rg7803

rg7803 Well-Known Member

I told you :p ...a local genious!

StockJock-e likes this.
  12. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Hope to get some of this in the $21 range

13. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

A long term buy order would likely make that happen but you might be forced to wait a few weeks. Perhaps that is unacceptable for a trader but that's nothing for an investor.

14. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

Can someone help me understand Stellantis decision to adopt the NACS plug but not join the SuperCharger network?

Are they building out their own network?

15. ValueNZ

ValueNZ New Member

I'm not sure that STLA will ever reach $21 again, it's certainly worth a hell of a lot more than that.

I did actually sell my STLA position though recently to buy something that I deem to be even more undervalued.

TomB16 likes this.
  16. ValueNZ

ValueNZ New Member

"The best investments are not in stocks that everyone praises, but in stocks that everyone underappreciates. That in one sentence sums up our investment in Stellantis. This company is itself very young, but its individual components have very long and interesting histories. I will just briefly describe how the company came to be. In 2009, the American carmaker Chrysler went through bankruptcy and the Italian automaker Fiat became one of the main shareholders – at that time with a 20% stake. Under the leadership of its CEO Sergio Marchionne, Fiat gradually increased its holding until in 2014 it came to own 100% of the shares. The newly formed company, called Fiat Chrysler, began trading on the stock exchange. It was clearly underappreciated by the market (including us) even then, but the stock has done very well since – and especially when you add in the performance of Ferrari, which was spun off from Fiat Chrysler in 2016. Two years later, Sergio Marchionne died and John Elkann, the grandson of Gianni Agnelli (Fiat) and CEO of Exor, the main shareholder of Fiat Chrysler, became the prime mover of events. In 2021, John Elkann initiated the merger of Fiat Chrysler with the French carmaker Peugeot, thereby creating Stellantis, the fourth-largest car company in the world. Ownership control is held by the Agnelli (via Exor) and Peugeot families. The company’s CEO is the highly respected automotive veteran Carlos Tavares.

We think we are once again in a situation where the market is deeply undervaluing the Stellantis stock. Consider for yourself: Stellantis is a solid business. It has some of the highest, if not the highest, margins in the industry, and that is before savings from the integration of Peugeot and Fiat Chrysler are fully realised. Management plans to move from the current level of EUR 180 billion in sales to EUR 300 billion by 2030. So, it is a decently profitable and growing business. We can also find net cash (cash minus debt) of EUR 23 billion on its balance sheet. The individual Stellantis brands (Alfa Romeo, Chrysler, Citroen, Dodge, Fiat, Jeep, Maserati, Ram, Opel, Lancia, Vauxhall, Peugeot and others) cover different market segments – from the very low end to luxury – as well as different regions. Peugeot is strong, for example, in France, Germany and Britain, but also in Argentina. Fiat, for instance, in Italy, but also in Brazil. We consider the management to be excellent and the controlling shareholders to be very responsible. In the capital allocation story, dividends and shares buyback play big roles. That all looks good. So, what is the market telling us through the share price? The stock is trading at three times annual earnings. If you subtract net cash, which is close to half the market capitalisation, you get to 1.5 times annual earnings. That valuation is, in a word, crazy. Add to that a dividend yield of 8.5%, plus share buybacks, and the stock would still be cheap even at twice the price. All in all, after 15 years of watching developments, we have run out of excuses not to buy the stock. It would be a shame not to take advantage of this opportunity."

- Vltava fund Q2 2023 letter