Stock Market Daily Discussion for May 16th - 20th

Discussion in 'Stock Market Today' started by StockJock-e, May 14, 2016.

1. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Earnings season is starting to wind down, with the biggest hump of earnings behind us, this is what is coming our way this week:

[​IMG]
    Notable tickers we are watching $HD $CSCO $WMT $CRM $TGT $LOW $TJX $TNK $HRL $PLCE $FL $RRGB $QIWI $DE $CPB

Dow, S&P post first 3-week losing streak since January

U.S. stocks closed lower Friday, with the Dow Jones industrial average and S&P 500 closing below their 50-day moving averages and posting their first three-week losing streak since January.

"I think the market's just gotten extended relative to earnings. This week just had those disappointing retail numbers out of the malls and that has led to a fairly broad sell-off. Most of them have done quite poorly," said Bernie Williams, chief investment officer, USAA Investment Solutions.

Consumer discretionary was the fifth-worst decliner, falling more than 1 percent to erase year-to-date gains and joining tech, health care and financials as the only S&P sectors in the red for the year so far. Utilities is the top sector performer year-to-date, with gains of more than 13 percent.

Source http://www.cnbc.com/2016/05/13/us-markets.html

This past week saw some big moves in the S&P with DIS, WMT, AAPL, TGT and apparel getting some selling pressure last week.

[​IMG]

Whats on your radar this week?

2. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

AAPL below $90 next week?

Who is looking to get some longs here?

3. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Also for interest sake, GOOG overtook AAPL in market cap due to the recent drop.

4. Ciao (Sheppy)

Ciao (Sheppy) Well-Known Member

Hi Gil is this thread only for big caps or anyone... :confused::)
    (now isn't "heavy" like before so I can open without problems)

#4 Ciao (Sheppy), May 14, 2016
    Last edited: May 14, 2016
  5. Tiptopptrader

Tiptopptrader Well-Known Member

Who's Jil o_O:D

6. Ciao (Sheppy)

Ciao (Sheppy) Well-Known Member

:oops::oops: I was going to write Jock but then change and left J instead of G... thanks TT I edited right
    before the "boss" see it ... I am nervous to post here with the "elite" :(:(

Tiptopptrader likes this.
  7. Vegastrader66

Vegastrader66 Member

This weeks market Wrap and sector watch video > Make or break time is near!

OldFart and T0rm3nted like this.
  8. I_am_so_siri

I_am_so_siri Member

I have always been a bit of an aapl hater so my opinion is a bit scewed to being a seller. With recent worries and rumors of aapl having sales slow down I wouldn't buy yet. I would play some bounces though

Talon and OldFart like this.
  9. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

This thread is for everything!

OldFart likes this.
  10. OldFart

OldFart Well-Known Member

Hey!
    There's "I_am_so_siri

11. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

It takes some AAPL hate to get you posting! :D

12. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

WMT reports before the bell on Thurs, one to watch for sure.

13. OldFart

OldFart Well-Known Member

Chinese flash crash.....

Two-Minute Plunge Roils China H Shares as Futures Volume Soars
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-roils-china-h-shares-as-futures-volume-soars

A sudden plunge by Chinese stocks in Hong Kong had traders scrambling to find a trigger for the slump that coincided with a surge in futures volumes.

The Hang Seng China Enterprises Index tracking some of the nation’s biggest companies tumbled from an advance of 1 percent to a loss of 1.5 percent in about two minutes, before rebounding to a gain. Stocks including Tsingtao Brewery Co. and PetroChina Co. fell sharply at 2:14 p.m. in Hong Kong before paring losses. The same shares in Shanghai didn’t replicate the move.

“Everyone is trying to figure it out," said Jackson Wong, associate director at Huarong International Securities Ltd. in Hong Kong. “We have been trading on low volume without any major news, so there may have been something that triggered some bigger funds to sell a certain position or using futures to hedge and that triggered the domino effect for that moment. But that’s only my speculation."
    [​IMG]

More than 5,000 May futures on the H-shares gauge changed hands in a minute from 2:14 p.m. as the price of the contracts slumped 143 points, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. Before that, volume in each minute of trading on Monday had averaged about 200 contracts. Hong Kong’s exchange operator hasn’t received any reports of erroneous trades and is closely monitoring market activities, spokeswoman Lorraine Chan said in an e-mailed response to questions.

The volatility comes at a testing time for Hong Kong traders in the wake of China’s stock market meltdown. The measure of 40 Chinese companies entered a technical correction on Friday after falling more than 10 percent from its recent high as a bull-market rebound unraveled. Data over the weekend showed the nation’s industrial production, retail sales and investment in April all trailed estimates. The gauge is down 14 percent this year to be among the world’s worst performers and extending 2015’s 19 percent rout.

The H-share measure closed 0.1 percent higher at 8,312.61, compared with a 0.8 percent advance for the Shanghai Composite Index.

“The market is talking about the fat finger,” said Yen Chiu, a Hong Kong-based trader at China Securities International Financial Holdings Co. “We are trying to figure out more about it.”

14. MaximusAnalysis

MaximusAnalysis Active Member

#ES_F $ES_F levels to watch 2048 / / 2036.75 / / 2025.50

15. duck mich

duck mich Member

16. Talon

Talon Member

Apple seems appropriately priced to me, but it wouldn't surprise me to see it get a lift here. The valuation is super cheap, but where is Apple going to get its growth from? I see nothing in their pipeline that is going to drive growth. The watch is a flop as expected, and the iPhone is a commodity at this point and would have slumping sales if anything.

Besides that, I hate them for manufacturing everything overseas. Dang corporations. I get that it's bidness, but the worlds richest corportions should be building their own factories and employing their own workers at home. It's a shame that US law makes us so disadvantaged in a global economy, we are continuing to rot from within. Every year we are expected to consume without producing real wealth ourselves. Just shuffling money around in finance and service industries and creating nothing of value.

17. Talon

Talon Member

Crude Oil is breaking out in a major way today. It has very clearly come back into a bull market at this point.

StockJock-e and DeCoty like this.
  18. DoveJohns

DoveJohns Active Member

Must be nice to be Buffet. All you need to do is buy something that looks cheap, and once the news is in, everyone starts to buy anyway.

StockJock-e, Talon and OldFart like this.
  19. pftq

pftq Member

StockJock-e likes this.
  20. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

I guess oil bounced enough to pull the whole market up with it. OPEC meeting next week.