Stock Market Daily Discussion for May 23rd - 27th

Discussion in 'Stock Market Today' started by StockJock-e, May 21, 2016.

1. MaximusAnalysis

MaximusAnalysis Active Member

blasted through that 2059.50 level nad have one at 2070.75 currently

2. brucekeller

brucekeller Member

Well, in theory the decline should begin right about now.

edit: and the market shut me up lol

#42 brucekeller, May 24, 2016
    Last edited: May 24, 2016
    OldFart likes this.
  3. OldFart

OldFart Well-Known Member

I have contacted them in the past asking when they would be in Florida...I got an Apple type arrogant response.
    I gave up on that company. It sounded as though they aren't interested in going nation wide. More like politics makes them decide on which states they want to be in.

4. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Well-Known Member

Not much to like about SCTY. EPS deep in the negative range for several years. I assume subsidies are keeping them afloat.

upload_2016-5-24_10-17-20.png

StockJock-e likes this.
  5. bigbear83

bigbear83 Active Member

wow has it really been 5 years since mark haines passing today? i don't care too much for these things but gotta admit he was one of the very first tv personality i remember from back in my very early days of trading way back when ... r.i.p.

OldFart likes this.
  6. brucekeller

brucekeller Member

Yeah, they have Musk's name associated with them, but Musk is practically like an ultra smart much less evil Trump in some ways. He's created a good brand and persona, but the guy did start PayPal, so he's not without fault. I still like his goals, and people have to remember his ultimate goal, and that's to go to Mars, apparently. SCTY could go bankrupt and I dunno, some magic would happen and it would be part of his rocket venture.

OldFart likes this.
  7. Talon

Talon Member

I felt today's bullishness in my gut.. I learned from American Dad: always trust your gut. Lol.

In all seriousness, Friday was up and Monday balanced, plus the lack of selling follow through on Thursday showed a lot of cracks in the bear armor. Today was primed to break one way or another and the upside seemed the more likely case simply because we're coming off a sell wave and that selling action felt forced - not enough sellers entering to really beat back a wave of buying.

It wouldn't surprise me to see these gains pare back a bit today, but if they don't it seems obvious tomorrow isn't gonna just give these gains all back.

OldFart likes this.
  8. DoveJohns

DoveJohns Active Member

Now that bears are running away for their lives I decided to get in Spxs. Each time market rallied like this, it went back down the next day... Will see if that will happen again

9. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Well-Known Member

I agree, not putting my money in there but my crystal ball says we are likely to see 2025 or slightly lower on the SPX very soon maybe by week's end.

10. bigbear83

bigbear83 Active Member

11. OldFart

OldFart Well-Known Member

I think Musk wants to own Mars...seriously. If he can land a human there before any other human, then he can say it belongs to his company.
    One thing about the super rich - they always want more. Ever seen a billionaire give away everything while they are still alive?

12. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

Buffett has donated billions. To another billionaire.
    Such a philanthropist Gates will be.
    We need more billionaires to die, so we can start helping the world.

OldFart likes this.
  13. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

Giving away your money to a charity, that you or your friends control,i s a tax aversion scheme. Not a charitable act.

Unless you think the Clinton's are saints.

OldFart likes this.
  14. duck mich

duck mich Member

Bulls are very Happy today
    Bulls_vs_Bear.jpg

15. surfsup

surfsup Active Member

Well I reluctantly sold all my metals today...was hoping for another retest of the high but the move today kinda got me emotional and I took the gains. Some were near 400% so I suppose it was time.

Scaled into some solar and getting some biotechs - bought some ... cough ..VRX cough cough....

I'm hoping the MMs will want to close that $15 wide open gap up there and I can ride it back up for a nice gain. I don't see a $15 gap sitting well with the market makers and there's some positive divergences on the chart so we'll see.

16. surfsup

surfsup Active Member

Funny...yea I wonder if we're going to all wake up to a serious spanking one day. SPX PE ratio climbing and no one cares about real accounting, they just want to know if the company "beat the numbers" (no matter how low the number was made to intentionally be beat).

17. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

I am certain Ackmann paid Citron to pick up his shares. Like one day, Citron woke up and saw a wire transfer to his bank account plus an appointment on Fast Money. No more tweeting and posting on Seeking Alpha, he can announce his positions on TV now!

I know Citron is a known short seller, so maybe he's not so good at taking a long position. He'll have to explain to me how he can be bullish on VRX if he's holding out of the money puts on them. I thought you sell OTM puts when you are bullish.

18. Talon

Talon Member

Yeah, this has been the case for a few years though and nothing has happened. On top of that, we had significant earnings decline in the past year and nothing has really come of it.

Now at this point the expectation is that earnings will take a large recovery in the next quarter. We'll see, this past quarter was a slight improvement but nothing that makes me think we're out of this mess quite yet.

I've gone from firmly bearish a few months ago to a bit more of wait and see mode, still bearish overall though. At the very best I see extremely limited upside for the rest of the year. The direction of the market and the economy will be much more clear in just a few more months.

One things for sure, the upside is super limited from here. Even in the best case of recovering earnings and prospering economy, how much further would the market go up? The bubble can either deflate through time or price. Or we keep defying the odds and get further multiple expansion, but that's just going to increase the potential pain in the future. The growth stocks have already been pumped and there is hardly any market for value investing anymore.

Potential dotcom 2.0 here once some of these growth stocks don't pan out.. I mean for christs sake, Tesla isn't too far off from GM in market cap and their financial situation is a looming disaster.

Even if Tesla were to grow to GM's revenue in the next 15 years which would require quite the growth story ($4B to $37.2B requires 16.03% growth/yr), a discount rate of 8% takes them to a valuation of $12.9B. Their current valuation is $28.52B.

$300mm burn rate per quarter, all it takes is a failure of their Model 3 to send that baby to $0. Does anyone on the planet expect Tesla to become well bigger than GM by the year 2031? That seems absurd to me. I imagine lots of other growth stocks aren't far off from from busting and it's a telling sign when IPO money dries up like it has this year.

19. LSS Trading

LSS Trading Member

20. LSS Trading

LSS Trading Member