Stock Market Today: April 24th - 28th

Discussion in 'Stock Market Today' started by Stockaholic, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Steven_Burt

Steven_Burt 2019 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Existing homes values surge, market goes up on tax's, everybody feels rich!... Que the next bubble

Stockaholic likes this.
  2. Steven_Burt

It doesn't happen too often but if you ever see the VIX outside the BB's, it is a very high probability trade to invert

#42 Steven_Burt, Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    Stockaholic likes this.
  3. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

[​IMG]
    A nice day and new ATH for NFLX :eek:

OldFart likes this.
  4. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Nice!

Im really hoping NFLX goes on to dominate TV services for $15 month, everything included.

OldFart and Steven_Burt like this.
  5. stock1234

I am still using Cable TV :p Maybe I should try NFLX in the future :D

OldFart likes this.
  6. stock1234

Trump is supposed to release a tax package tomorrow. We don't know whether he will release it during the regular trading hours or not, will be interesting to see if we get a sell the news event or the party goes on at Wall Street :D

7. OldFart

OldFart Well-Known Member

In .68 out .86
    Not the best trade and probably got out too early again... but not bad for trading at work I guess...

stock1234 likes this.
  8. OldFart

X getting killed here
    -25% +

Yikes!

9. stock1234

[​IMG]

Can't remember last time TWTR reacting so well after earnings :eek:

OldFart likes this.
  10. stock1234

Don't know when the tax plan will be coming out today, but my guess is that the market will be holding up well at least till the plan finally comes out :p

11. stock1234

They are talking on tax cut now, seems like the market is moving a little lower while Munchin is talking

OldFart likes this.
  12. Stockaholic

Stockaholic Content Manager

Here are some of the upcoming ERs due out after the close today:
    ($LVS $PYPL $AMGN $XLNX $WLL $UCTT $FFIV $BWLD $ORLY $NTRI $SU $TER $NOW $TSCO $CTXS $MEOH $SAM $GG $CDE)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are some of the upcoming ERs due out before the open tomorrow morning:
    ($CLF $F $AAL $BMY $CELG $NOK $LUV $UAA $STM $UPS $MGM $DPZ $SIRI $CMCSA $VALE $RTN $ABBV $EXAS $DOW)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

OldFart likes this.
  13. Ken34

Ken34 2017 Stock Picking Contest Winner

hmm, kind of interested in X now, will give it 2 or 3 days and see where it ends up.

OldFart likes this.
  14. Steven_Burt

Might be time to start watching oil here. It's way oversold and coming into the summer driving months. Maybe even NAFTA talks could give it a bump.

Stockaholic likes this.
  15. Stockaholic

slightly surprised to see vix still with the 10-handle here ... the vix full range yesterday (high/low/close) was sub 11 ... i read somewhere that's only happened a handful of times in history o_O

btw just a quick heads up to everyone in here but my schedule has changed just a bit this week ... i likely will no longer be able to get a morning market movers thread up in the pre-markets like i've used to been doing for the past year now ... i can still post up the earnings stuff in here during the lunch hours but that's about it ... admittedly those morning threads really ate up a lot of my time not to mention were quite tedious to put together every morning ... not sure if they will be missed or not ... didn't really see anyone reading or posting in them anyway ... but i just won't have time to do those anymore for the time being.

i'm hopeful that i will still have time to run all of the weekly market polls and stock picking threads ... but unfortunately my participation during the day will be dwindling a bit more this summer ... kind of sucks ... if i could choose i would hang out here all day lol :p

16. Stockaholic

17. OldFart

Funny you mention the VIX Cy

Just bought some 11.5 may calls.

With Trump in the whitehouse, the volatility is nuts.... lol

stock1234 likes this.
  18. Steven_Burt

@bigbear0083 you should take a few weeks or a month off this summer, let @StockJock-e fill in for you. Once he see's all the work you do around here I think you could renegotiate your contract for a raise lol.

As for the VIX, Most people here know that I started getting pretty bearish a couple of weeks ago... and I have been completely wrong (so far). I still feel that the markets are feeling very toppy and as we move back to normalizing rates we could move back to normalized cycles and "Sell in May" just might come back into favor. SPY below 237.39ish could produce a lower low on the SPY very quickly imo

T0rm3nted and Stockaholic like this.
  19. Steven_Burt

So here is my Thursday morning, sleep deprived, bearish take, strongly influenced by the theories of accumulation/distribution discussed in the book "A complete Guide to Price Analysis". MM's are taking profits, but they need to unwind their positions without dropping prices. The way they accomplish this is they "use the news" to unwind their position. Every time "the Donald" tweets something about MAGA (lower taxes, re-negotiating NAFTA, killing Obama Care, whatever) retail jumps in gleefully buying, full of FOMO and patriotism. You can see MM's selling with high volume all while they are holding up prices with small candles and large green candles with lower volumes when they sell into the news. When they have unwinded their positions they will unload the last of their shares collapsing the markets, retail will hold too long and when they can take no more pain they will sell at lows where the MM's will happily start building positions again for the next run up. ...rinse and repeat..

20. stock1234

No problem Cy, enjoy the summer and the weather out there when you get a chance, I know a lot of people here appreciate what you have done in this forum ;) If you need to take a little off from the weekly/daily contests then just let us know ;) I did read what you posted on the morning by the way, I just couldn't read them like until 1 pm EST since I am in Hawaii

Stockaholic likes this.