Stock Market Today: August 20th - 24th, 2018

Discussion in 'Stock Market Today' started by Stockaholic, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Stockaholic

Stockaholic Content Manager

having trouble opening tos this morning, but is that a new ATH on the transports?

i think SPX missed it by just a couple handles.

dj30 still lagging a bit ... but even that is now within about 2% i think ... dow theorists with a raised eyebrow once that joins the party :p

OldFart and stock1234 like this.
  2. Stockaholic

whelp it is official now SPX with a new ATH today (albeit by less than a handle as of now)

@stock1234 has been calling for that new ATH sometime this summer and it has finally come to pass

helluva call @stock1234 :cool:

3. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

New ATH for the SPX finally :cool: FED Minutes tomorrow, not sure if it will move the market much but will be something to keep an eye on :D

OldFart and Stockaholic like this.
  4. stock1234

Thanks Cy :D

5. Stockaholic

it's also worth pointing out that now that the SPX has officially printed the new high today (albeit it still needs to "close" above the old closing high from January) this is now unofficially tied for the longest running bull market in history.

although it depends on who you ask.

personally i think STA (stock trader's almanac) has it correct in saying that this bull is NOT the longest and still has another 3 years to go.

most people are not counting the starting point of the raging 90's bull run from 1987, and are instead using 1990 as the starting point. i personally think that is wrong. :p

anyway, it is still unbelievable to me that this market is still making new highs even almost 10 years after hitting the bear low in march '09. crazy!

OldFart likes this.
  6. stock1234

Stockaholic and OldFart like this.
  7. Stockaholic

also forgot to mention but looks like we've got all majors into new ATHs post-Feb. correction except the for the laggin' dj30 :p

dow theorists will be partying it hard for sure once that has closed at a new high :p

stock1234 and OldFart like this.
  8. stock1234

Haha yeah while a lot of us pay more attention to the SPX, people who don’t look at the market everyday or a lot people form overseas actually pay more attention to the DOW more :p

9. stock1234

Amazing indeed :eek: Was new to the market and was still a student in 2008, wish I had more money to invest back then :p When the next bear market comes I probably will buy pretty aggressively :p I think you posted something last week or earlier this year on the average length of bear market and bull market, it was an interesting read ;)

10. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

I keep watching TNDM to see if there'll be a blowoff top, but it keeps going. It did a 1:10 reverse split last year, and this must be the poster child for those splits working. Up 1222% in six months.
    [​IMG]

11. Stockaholic

Best and Worst S&P 500 Stocks on the Road to Nowhere

Many are out making a big deal about the fact that the S&P 500 traded back to a new all-time high today, but the reality is that the S&P 500 has been ‘dead money’ for nearly seven months now. Along with the index itself being unchanged since late January, a very slight majority of stocks (256) in the S&P are lower now than they were on 1/26, and overall, the average change of the 500 individual stocks in the index since then is a decline of 0.35%. At the extremes, though, there have been some big winners and losers. We’ll start with the good news.

The table below lists the 21 stocks in the S&P 500 that have gained more than 30% since the S&P 500’s 1/26 closing high. Topping the list of biggest winners is Chipotle (CMG), which has been on quite a run, gaining more than 57% even after taking a skid last week on reports of further health issues with customers eating their food. Right behind Chipotle, although it may not want to get too close, is AMD, which is up 56%. Behind these two leaders, two other stocks (XL Group and ABIOMED) are up over 50%. Other notable names on the list of biggest winners include Under Armour (UA) and Twitter (TWTR). Also worth pointing out is that besides Amazon.com (AMZN), none of the other FAANG stocks made the list. So much for the argument that FAANG stocks are the only ones going up.

[​IMG]

While there have been 21 S&P 500 stocks that have rallied 30% or more since 1/26, 12 stocks in the S&P 500 have lost more than 30% during that span. The biggest loser of them all has been Coty (COTY), which is down over 43%, including a drop of 7% today. L Brands (LB) is another big loser as it has seen its stock fall more than 37% since 1/26. Thankfully for most investors, there are not a lot of high-profile names on this list, but if you’re a holder of any of these names, it has definitely been a frustrating six months.

[​IMG]

OldFart, Jrich and stock1234 like this.
  12. stock1234

OldFart and T0rm3nted like this.
  13. Jrich

Jrich Well-Known Member

Almost seemed like we broke the high just for the sake of printing it... We were there what, like 15 minutes?

Eh... Ill take it

OldFart likes this.
  14. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

Yeah, usually when you make a high, I expect to see more highs (50% chance of another high the next day, right?).
    But the international markets are not near their highs, and the NYSE index is not near its January high
    [​IMG]

OldFart likes this.
  15. Stockaholic

16. Stockaholic

just saw this hitting my twitter news feed this morning:
    [​IMG]

@stock1234 is this headed towards you??

and speaking of twitter, i just hit 1k tweets :p

[​IMG]

stock1234 and OldFart like this.
  17. Jack Marlow

Jack Marlow Member

Market Morning: Trump Lawyer Turns, UK Prepares Hard Brexit, Corona Goes to Pot, Costco Hits $100B – President Donald Trump’s former lawyer Michael Cohen admitted in court that a candidate for office had ordered him to pay hush money to two women who allegedly had extramarital affairs with Trump. Everyone is assuming that Trump is the man being implicated. Speculation now is that an impeachment process looks more likely. S&P 500 (NYSEARCA:SPY) futures are down, as are the Dow Jones and Nasdaq (NASDAQ:QQQ). Being impeached for buying silence about an affair is quite a stretch, since Trump could claim that he had Cohen use his own money. At the same time, former Trump campaign manager Paul Manafort was convicted of tax and bank fraud, though for nothing related to Trump directly.

18. Stockaholic

so i guess today unofficially marks the longest bull market run in history (not if you're using the "closing prices" though :p which imho is the correct way of doing it as stock trader's almanac and a few others do ;))

also as has been the theme for much for much of this bull run, the news just doesn't matta

once again we see that the overnight dip gets bought right back to unch'd by the open :p

[​IMG]

OldFart and stock1234 like this.
  19. stock1234

Haha congrats on the 1000th tweet Cy :D

Yeah looks like this hurricane could get pretty close to the islands here or even direct hit is a possibility. People are getting pretty worried here, and the bottled water was sold out completely in the store when I was shopping for some grocery yesterday. We have a lot of hurricanes here in Hawaii but rarely they get close to the land at all, the last one to cause major damage was in 1992 and I was living in Hawaii at that time :p I guess they good news is that the hurricane won’t be category 5 almost for sure when it gets close to the lands, most likely would be category 1 at most or even as a tropical storm, at least that’s what the forecasts are saying :p

Anyway, hope it doesn’t cause serious damage, don’t want any serious flooding but some rains are actually welcomed since the weather has been pretty dry here.

They are already warning about electricity could be out here if the winds are strong though, so if I am not on Stockaholics on Friday, you guys would know why :p

20. stock1234

FED Minures coming up at 2 PM :D

OldFart likes this.