Stock Market Today: December 12th - 16th

Discussion in 'Stock Market Today' started by Stockaholic, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

It's not about him. It's about the Republican tag.

I think we will have more responsibility. More from the fed (not keeping rates at zero forever) more from the press (keeping the governments feet to the fire) and more from business (government keeping them honest as all their pals in government wind up without a job under Trump).

This will bring us, in the short term, down markets. And by short term, I mean next four years.

2. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

He probably won't do it this time lol, maybe next year when he is in the office :D

3. stock1234

Took some profits on the banks on the initial pop from the FED, almost couldn't do so though since the error messages kept popping up from Robinhood when I placed my trade o_O

4. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

Is the Santa rally finally over?

No idea. But today is finally a good day for my account.

5. Tiptopptrader

Tiptopptrader Well-Known Member

Short term 4 years? What would you call long term o_O

6. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

Well, considering we have been in a bull market for 9 years now....

7. Ken34

Ken34 2017 Stock Picking Contest Winner

more BAC added today, cmon market keep consolidating/going down for a little so i can keep accumulating BAC. if the FED actually stick to their plan this time, banks can run next year like gold did for the first half of this year.

8. heyimsnuffles

heyimsnuffles Active Member

I actually remember talking to a friend of mine about this SAME EXACT THING at the beginning of 2016

9. Stockaholic

Stockaholic Content Manager

holy rip your face off us dollar index batman ... thing has just gone completely ballistic :eek:

[​IMG]

we haven't seen these highs in at least 13 years...

[​IMG]

gold coming off but still above the 2016 loy which is interesting...

[​IMG]

10. Stockaholic

Good morning Stockaholics! Happy post-Fed day Thursday :)

Here are you pre-market stock movers & news on this Thursday morning-

12/15 Thursday's Stock News Movers: MDLZ, FOXA, GIS, YHOO, LLY, ZTS, ADM, JPM, PIR, APOG, MRO, VRX, JBLU, UAL
    [B][SIZE=5][COLOR=#0000ff]Good day Stockaholics! Happy Thursday![/COLOR][/SIZE][/B] ;)

[​IMG]

Frontrunning: December 15
    • Yellen, Trump on the Same Page, for Now (WSJ)
    • Bond Rout Deepens After Fed Move (WSJ)
    • Dollar Climbs to Strongest Since 2003 on Fed Path; Bonds Drop (BBG)
    • Trump’s $6 Billion Cabinet: Mostly Men, Mostly White and Not Much Government Experience (BBG)
    • Trump’s Foreign Partners Expect to Benefit (WSJ)
    • Targeting U.S. automaker signals possible China retaliation over Trump talk (Reuters)
    • Chinese ambassador to U.S.: Sovereignty not a 'bargaining chip' (Reuters)
    • Italy ready to recapitalise ailing banks with 15 billion euros: (Reuters)
    • China Halts Trading in Key Bond Futures (WSJ)
    • Inside the BOJ, rate hikes are back on the radar. Really (Reuters)
    • Assad’s Choice: Fight Rebels but Give Way to ISIS (WSJ)
    • OPEC Threatened by a Tiny Oklahoma Town (BBG)
    • Russia says talks with U.S. over Aleppo suspended (Reuters)
    • Tokyo Regains Costliest City for Expats Title as London Drops (BBG)
    • SNB Joins Draghi in Warning of Dread for Politics Next Year (BBG)
    • Google extends conservative outreach as Trump calls tech meeting (Reuters)
    • Iran sanctions extension act to become law without Obama's signature: White House (Reuters)
    • Stolen Yahoo Data Includes Government Employee Information (BBG)
    • $2 Billion Gulfport Buy Shows Drillers Thirsting for Next Play (BBG)
    • Average Credit Card Debt: $16K. Total Debt: $133K. Where Do You Fit In? (BBG)

STOCK FUTURES NOW:
    [​IMG]

YESTERDAY'S MARKET HEAT MAP:

[​IMG]

YESTERDAY'S S&P SECTORS:
    [​IMG]

TODAY'S ECONOMIC CALENDAR:
    [​IMG]

MOST ACTIVE TRENDING PRE-MARKET DISCUSSIONS (TICKER SYMBOLS ARE CLICKABLE!):

TODAY'S EARNINGS CALENDAR:
    [​IMG]

THIS MORNING'S PRE-MARKET NEWS MOVERS:

source: cnbc.com

[​IMG]

• Mondelez — The snack giant's stock jumped nearly 5 percent in premarket trading after Bloomberg reported that Kraft-Heinz was planning to acquire it. Mondelez declined CNBC's request for comment, but sources said the firm is unaware of any takeover approach by Kraft-Heinz.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • 21st Century Fox — The media giant formalized its bid for Sky, with Fox offering a 40 percent premium for each Sky share. Fox had first approached Sky about a possible takeover bid last week.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • General Mills — Analysts at RBC Capital Markets downgraded the cereal and yogurt maker's stock to "sector perform" from "outperform," and reduced its price target to $69 from $73 per share, citing declining volumes. "In our view, a 300bp acceleration in US measured channel volume declines over the last three months will likely limit EPS upside and growth — both historically important to stock erformance," RBC said in a note.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Yahoo — Shares of the former tech giant fell about 3.5 percent before the bell, a day after announcing it had identified a new breach that occurred in August 2013 and involved data associated with more than 1 billion user accounts.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Eli Lilly — Eli Lilly reaffirmed its 2016 and 2017 guidance, adding it has the potential to launch 20 new products by 2023. Shares of the pharmaceutical company rose 4 percent in premarket trading.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Zoetis — Analysts at Piper Jaffray resumed coverage of the animal health firm's stock with an "overweight" rating and a $61 price target. "We continue to expect a challenged environment and now with livestock margins under pressure, but we like the resilience of the animal health industry despite volatile end markets in livestock," Piper said in a note.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Archer Daniels Midland — Analysts at Stifel resumed coverage of Archer Daniels Midland's stock with a "hold" rating and a $46 price target, citing improving margins within certain segments and cost savings, "offset in part by continued pressure on grain merchandising and transportation margins, as well as an oversupplied ethanol market."
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • JPMorgan Chase, Citigroup, PNC, BB&T — These are just a few U.S. banks that raised their prime rate on Wednesday after the Federal Reserve increased short-term interest rates for the second time in a decade. The prime rate is the rate at which individual banks lend to their most creditworthy customers, including large corporations.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Pier 1 — The retailer's stock spiked around 20 percent after reporting better-than-expected quarterly results and raising its full-year guidance. "Sales trends rebounded in the second half of November, following the election, which enabled us to deliver third quarter results well ahead of our forecast," CEO Alex Smith said in a statement.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Apogee Enterprises —The manufacturing firm posted earnings per share of 78 cents and sales of $274.1 million, beating earnings estimates of 77 cents per share and a sales forecast of $272.9 million. The company also raised its earnings outlook for 2017.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Marathon Oil —Analysts at Instinet downgraded the exploration and production company's stock to "neutral" from "buy," citing valuation concerns. "The recent strength in the energy market and in MRO specifically has driven the stock to within 5 percent of our revised $19 target," Instinet said in a note. However, Instinet also raised its price target on the stock to $19 from $15.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Valeant Pharmaceuticals — The embattled pharmaceutical firm had its stock downgraded to "equal weight" from "overweight" at Morgan Stanley. "Our thesis that Valeant's business would stabilize and asset sales would enhance value has not materialized. We move to the sidelines as we await future corporate updates. Lowering PT from $25 to $17," Morgan Stanley said.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    • JetBlue, United Continental — Barclays initiated coverage of the two airline stocks with an "overweight" rating, citing "material upside" within the stocks. "Our Top Pick is UAL given management's targets to generate best-in-class profitability," Barclays said.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Have a good trading day to everyone in here on this FOMC Thursday! ;)

[​IMG]

11. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

Indeed. Silver getting smoked.

12. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

It's crazy to me that dollars and the market are both going up. Used to be an inverse relationship.

13. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

I guess 3 rate hikes next year were actually already "priced in".

14. Stockaholic

ya @Baggi that inverse relationship between the spx and the u.s. dollar index wasn't too long ago!

here is a visual of the 2 over the past 10 years ... you can clearly seen how the u.s. dollar was moving inverse to the spx almost to a tee since the '08 crisis ... and only up until about the beginning of 2014 did we start seeing both the dollar and the equity markets start moving in tandem together ...

[​IMG]

Baggi likes this.
  15. Stockaholic

and while i'm at it here with comparing things ... here is just the quick visual of what i was talking about earlier this morning

while the greenback has absolutely broken out in a huge way here ... the yellow metal is still hanging in there (albeit just barely) ... but that is well off its 52-week lows ... just thought that was kind of interesting

here is the ytd comparison of each-
    [​IMG]

16. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

I'd like to see today turn into a bull trap.

17. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

Damn!

Look at that divergence!

Gotta be a way to play them coming back together.

18. stock1234

Might see Euro-Dollar parity soon :eek:

19. Ken34

Ken34 2017 Stock Picking Contest Winner

man today has been sweet, im long BAC, OCLR, OPK, and T, all booming to the upside, woooooo!!

Baggi likes this.
  20. Stockaholic

speaking of which ... i'm glad you brought this up in here @stock1234 ... i actually have a poll that i setup on this very topic not too long ago over on our forex section here in case any of you guys missed it-
    i have a poll for everything nowadays it seems haha :p

heyimsnuffles, stock1234 and Baggi like this.