Stock Market Today: December 5th - 9th

Discussion in 'Stock Market Today' started by Stockaholic, Dec 3, 2016.

1. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Just found out that the VIX was actually up today despite the Dow was up close to 300 points :eek: Maybe I shouldn't be so bullish :p

2. Stockaholic

Stockaholic Content Manager

^^ ya that was kind of interesting ... i'm not even sure when the last time i saw the vix actually up on a near +300 handle dj30 day

that said today was a pretty epic day to say the least ... we nearly had every major index make a new ath today with the transports finally joining in ... i don't believe i have ever seen all 6 of these make a new record intraday & closing high on the same day ... today would have been a first for me i think

[​IMG]

3. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

I'm aiming for 2250 on the E mini's and 2260 on the SPX.

I don't know how powerful a 15 year trendline is, but here you go.

15 Year Monthly Chart.jpg

That's a monthly chart. They all pretty much look the same. The only one that is different is the DOW. The SPX and the Russel and the SPY are all approaching that trend line.

4. Tiptopptrader

Tiptopptrader Well-Known Member

5. Epicram

Epicram Member

After your analyzing the stock market between 5th Dec to 11th Dec, I got clear vision on profitable stocks.

6. Stockaholic

Good Thursday morning Stockaholics!

Here are your pre-market movers & news:

12/8 Thursday's Stock News Movers: LULU, SHLD, COST, HRB, CIEN, CVX, BK, AMZN, GLW, TRIP, EXPE, PCLN
    Good day Stockaholics! Happy Thursday! ;)

[​IMG]

Frontrunning: December 8
    • Draghi Expected to Lay Out Plans for More ECB Stimulus (WSJ)
    • Bonds Fall as Investors Turn Wary on ECB Stimulus; Euro Gains (BBG)
    • European Stock Traders Look to Draghi to Break Santa Curse (BBG)
    • Trump to nominate Pruitt to lead U.S. environmental agency (Reuters)
    • Trump's choice of China envoy a positive sign for ties, Xinhua says (Reuters)
    • Syrian Rebels Pin Hopes on Trump (WSJ)
    • Trump Pick of EPA Foe to Lead Agency May Spark Senate Fight (BBG)
    • Russia Sells Stake in Oil Giant Rosneft to Glencore, Qatar (WSJ)
    • The Return of Glencore’s Dealmaking King (Bloomberg)
    • Italian bank Intesa to help fund Rosneft deal for Glencore and Qatar (Reuters)
    • Sovereign-Wealth Funds Buy Stake in U.K. Gas Business (WSJ)
    • Monte Paschi Seeks ECB Reprieve as It Tries to Escape Bailout (BBG)
    • Vietnam dredging on South China Sea reef (Reuters)
    • Deutsche Bank May Have Rigged Index in Paschi Deal, Audit Shows (BBG)
    • Eyeing upswing, more U.S. oilfield service firms restructure (Reuters)
    • Michael Jordan Scores China Legal Victory for His Chinese Name (BBG)
    • How Trump’s Web of Businesses Obscures Potential Conflicts (WSJ)
    • Facebook’s Investors Criticize Marc Andreessen for Conflict of Interest (BBG)
    • Merkel Sticks to Middle Ground in Risky Pitch for German Votes (BBG)
    • China’s Banks Are Hiding More Than $2 Trillion in Loans (WSJ)
    • Facebook’s Investors Criticize Marc Andreessen for Conflict of Interest (BBG)

STOCK FUTURES NOW:
    [​IMG]

YESTERDAY'S MARKET HEAT MAP:

[​IMG]

YESTERDAY'S S&P SECTORS:
    [​IMG]

TODAY'S ECONOMIC CALENDAR:
    [​IMG]

MOST ACTIVE TRENDING PRE-MARKET DISCUSSIONS (TICKER SYMBOLS ARE CLICKABLE!):

TODAY'S EARNINGS CALENDAR:
    [​IMG]

THIS MORNING'S PRE-MARKET NEWS MOVERS:

source: cnbc.com

[​IMG]

• Lululemon — The yoga wear maker reported adjusted quarterly profit of 47 cents per share, four cents above estimates, with revenue also beating forecasts. Lululemon also boosted its earnings outlook, and the company also announced a $100 million stock buyback program.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Sears Holdings — Sears reported a quarterly loss of $3.11 per share, smaller than the loss of $4.06 per share expected by analysts. Revenue came in above estimates, but same-store sales slid more than anticipated and the company's CFO said he could not guarantee when the company would return to profitability.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Costco — Costco reported adjusted quarterly profit of $1.17 per share, two cents below estimates, with the warehouse retailer's revenue slightly below forecast. Same-store sales were up 1 percent, impacted by discounts and deflation. The company said it saw more shoppers, but sales were hit by lower prices on a wide variety of products.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • H&R Block — Block lost 67 cents per share for its latest quarter, 1 cent less than analysts had been anticipating. Revenue did beat estimates for the tax preparation firm, which usually turns a profit only in its fiscal fourth quarter when the bulk of tax returns are prepared.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Ciena — The networking equipment maker missed estimates by 3 cents with adjusted quarterly earnings of 44 cents per share, with revenue slightly below analyst forecasts. The company does say its growth is outpacing that of the overall market.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Verint Systems — Verint earned an adjusted 59 cents per share for its latest quarter, falling short of estimates by 10 cents, while the communications and cybersecurity software maker also saw revenue fall short. It gave weak full year guidance as well, amid increasing competition in the cybersecurity area.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Chevron — Chevron announced a $19.8 billion capital spending plan for 2017, the fourth straight year of spending cuts for the oil giant.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Bank of New York Mellon — The bank was unable to use the Swift network to process client payment instructions for several hours earlier this week, according to the Wall Street Journal. The outage began Sunday afternoon and was resolved Monday morning.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Amazon.com — Amazon knocked down reports that it was planning to open more than 2,000 physical grocery stores. An Amazon statement said that number is "not even close."
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Corning — Corning announced a new $4 billion stock repurchase program.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Tailored Brands — The company formerly known as Men's Wearhouse reported adjusted profit of 68 cents per share, 13 cents above estimates, with revenue beating forecasts as well. The clothing retailer, which also owns the Jos. A. Bank chain, also gave an upbeat outlook for comparable store sales.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    • TripAdvisor, Expedia, Priceline Group — The three travel website operators are the subject of new coverage at CLSA, which rates TripAdvisor "underperform," Expedia "outperform," and Pricline "buy." CLSA said the benefits of TripAdvisor's business transition are already reflected in the stock's price, while saying that Expedia is benefiting from travel industry consolidation, and that Priceline will gain disproportionately from the shift to online travel booking.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Have a good trading day to everyone in here on this Thursday! ;)

[​IMG]

7. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

I need to dig around for a chart on this, but how does consumer confidence correlate with the historical stock market moves?

------------snip------------
    Consumer confidence soars.
    A new Bloomberg Politics poll indicated that 54 percent of adults believed stock prices would be higher at the end of 2017 than they are today, and that with Mr. Trump’s election, Americans are more optimistic about their finances.

Around 38 percent of respondents expected 2017 to be a better financial year than 2016, while 14 percent said they would be worse off and forty-five percent said things would be about the same.

In December 2012, after President Obama’s re-election, 31 percent of respondents had said they were more optimistic about their finances for the next year.
    ------------snip--------------

8. MaximusAnalysis

MaximusAnalysis Active Member

9. Stockaholic

@Gil Oren

[​IMG]

10. MaximusAnalysis

MaximusAnalysis Active Member

Not at all....definitely testing everyones fear of missing out emotions. Didnt give me a pullback so I have to wait

11. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

@Cy McCaffrey thanks for that chart.

I was curious to see if consumer confidence has a history of being a leading indicator of sorts, I guess much like the 2007 peak, confidence is always high when the markets are in rally mode.

12. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

Here is what I notice about the consumer confidence chart posted above.

It looks like we are at the top again.

13. Stockaholic

14. heyimsnuffles

heyimsnuffles Active Member

Lolz

Ripping higher IWM Printing Highs

15. Stockaholic

whelp ... there's your 2250 on the /ES continuous contract @Baggi :eek:

16. Stockaholic

i think this is the first time i have ever seen 5 of the major indices hit ATHs on the same day...

dow30
    spx
    nasdaq comp
    russell 2k
    dow transports

and again the vix up today ... and pretty significantly at that ... interesting

17. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

Yeah, that vix up is killing me. I sold a strangle in the /es and am managing to lose money on both sides. Argh!

I wish I were home. I'd like to see how the RUT is doing. Did it hit the trend line? The SPX number is around 2260. And I think the /es is closer to 2252 but being such a long series of time, a few points here or there is meaningless.

Also, I'm pissed at TD Ameritrade because I can't see the continuous contract. I can only see the quarterly. Which has the December and January off by about 5 points. Annoying.

18. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

VIX being up on another up day for the market definitely is very interesting :eek:

Stockaholic likes this.
  19. Stockaholic

truth be told i don't put too much into these very LT trend lines ... but is this what you're talking about @Baggi ?

[​IMG]

anotherdevilsadvocate and Baggi like this.
  20. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Interesting indeed, but it is coming off some big lows:

[​IMG]

stock1234 likes this.