Stock Market Today: February 13th - 17th

Discussion in 'Stock Market Today' started by Stockaholic, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

I closed my short /ES positions and will hope for a bounce up to go short again.

2. Stockaholic

Stockaholic Content Manager

Ding ding ding and that's a wrap!

The cash S&P finally snaps the win streak lol. The DJ30 though ekes out another ATH close.

Finally getting the pause which I have been anticipating for a while now.

Baggi likes this.
  3. Wolfy

Wolfy Active Member

pretty much all the street's favorite took a dive today, amd, nvda, cat, s, etc. I think it is just a profit taking before Trump's speech on the 28th.

4. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

He said today during his press conference that they have to do healthcare first and that they'll get to taxes after that. In March.

Seems like without coming out and saying it, he was saying the tax proposal will be postponed.

5. Venom08

Venom08 Active Member

BUY!!! BUY!! BUY!!! With market participation by retail investors still at record lows, there will be no crash or bear market. Wait for Dow Jones 23k to come some time soon and you'll see retail throw in the towel, jump in the market, and drive the dow to 40k by 2022. It's gonna be glorious. Every dip is a buy and I've transferred a bunch of my portfolio to Vanguard for retirement to be professionally managed. I'm long big time the funds that mirror the US shares market and am up 3% in the last week alone.

6. Stockaholic

Nice.

Ya know as crazy as that may sound for some who are reading that, I actually think that is very plausible.

Here is a chart that I stumbled across Stock Trader's Almanac. As you'll see from the chart below it's about a year old, and the projections for last year up to this year were off, but still arrive at the same target. They actually got a name for it called the "Super Boom".

Basically they're calling for a +500% increase from the March 2009 low. Their projection is to reach about 40k by 2025. However, they are looking for a mild bear market to ensue before then (around 2017-2018). But after that it's UP UP and AWAY!

[​IMG]

And I agree with you on your comment about the market participation from the retail investors being at historic lows. That's mostly why I say there is no signs of euphoria out there right now. Not even close.

Oh, and it's good to see you around again @Venom08 lol :D

7. Wolfy

Wolfy Active Member

Great!
    That will gives the market more time to swing upward.
    Buy the rumor sell the news. Before any of his policy come out to the light, the market can keep flying under speculations.

8. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

Many years ago when I first started working on the border in San Diego, I read an article in the paper with the headline, "Dow 25,000!!"

This was while Clinton was still President.

9. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Dow 40K by 2022 would require about a little over 14% annual gains from here, not as crazy as it sounds :D

10. LloydWCoutee

LloydWCoutee Active Member

Insiders selling should concern all longs

11. Vegastrader66

Vegastrader66 Member

Alpha Wolf Trading Feb 17 2017 Free Friday Premarket Prep
    We are heading into t along holiday weekend and we saw the markets take a breather yesterday. It would not be a shock to see a continuation of that action. We could be looking at a choppy day ahead. Make sure you have a plan and do not chase.

12. Stockaholic

Choppy markets are choppy. No surprises of course.

Finally getting the pause after that 7-day RYFOR. Nothing bearish to see here yet imo. Still finding acceptance at these levels. Looks like we'll probably just correct through time than price is my thinking. I'm expecting some more choppy days ahead until the next big catalyst.

13. stock1234

This market remains very resilient :eek: I think this market will continue to grind higher slowly unless we see a delay in the tax cut plan. It would be interesting to see how patient this market would be if we still don't hear any tax plan like in 2 to 3 weeks :D

14. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

I say this market sells of on the news of any tax cut plan, sell the news!

15. stock1234

Pretty possible that it would happen. If we see the sell the news event for equities, the dollar probably go lower as well and yields could go lower. Volatility could be picking up in a few weeks whether we get a tax cut plan or not :D

16. Stockaholic

Coming into the home stretch here ... markets making a late push into the close ... the Naz doing all the heavy lifting today. Just got the SPX green.

BTW, just a heads up in here in case some of you were not aware but the markets will be closed on Monday for President's Day.

Enjoy the long 3-day weekend everyone! :D

17. Stockaholic

Ding ding ding! Wow, what a push into the close there! Even managed to get the DJ30 in the green which was lagging all day. :eek:

18. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

I bought back my short earlier today and went long. Sold when we went a few points up and thought I was brilliant. Now my account is down for the day after going short again.

But, I'm small short. I think we go up some more from here and I'll add to my short position as we approach /ES 23,000 from /ES 2,300. It's not that far away, is it?