Stock Market Today: February 20th - 24th

Discussion in 'Stock Market Today' started by Stockaholic, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

By the way, I brought this up the last time we ran up to an all time high and then got a new high after hours.

According to the shadowtraders, you don't usually make all time highs after hours. They usually don't hold. So expect us to take out the Sunday/Monday after hours ATH. Not necessarily tomorrow, but soon.

2. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

Just found out there's a company named StarTek, reporting after hours Tuesday.
    Just $135M market cap, 58k shares per day. So too thin to really do anything.
    But I feel good about the market on Tuesday.

3. LloydWCoutee

LloydWCoutee Active Member

$WMT and $HD earnings tomorrow morning. Should be some solid morning action.

4. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Another Green Day. Except last Thursday I can't exactly when was the last red day that we had :p

5. stock1234

Solar stocks running hot again :eek:

6. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Pun intended?

7. Stockaholic

Stockaholic Content Manager

8. Stockaholic

Yep...and that is precisely what ended up happening today. We're going to need to see an excess day (or as some call it a "blow off top") to really mark some kind of meaningful high imo. And by that I mean having the ATH printed in the RTH (regular trading hours) where we see more than 1 or 2 ticks of excess on the high. Preferably 8 ticks or higher would be text book. The fact that we're still finding acceptance at these higher levels has me thinking we're still not done going higher quite yet. And on top of that it looks like we're forming yet another poor high on the market profile today, which will need to get repaired (and in the RTH) at some point, which again doesn't really suggest to me that this up move is over yet.

9. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

I'm attempting a small short here, which just adds to my other small shorts I've already got.

Tight stop though. I can only take so much pain.

10. stock1234

Actually nope, my mistake for sounding like they are making the new ATH :p I just saw some solar stocks are up big today and were up pretty nicely last week, just wondering if the short term bottom is in after getting hammered for so long.

11. stock1234

My thinking is we won't see the top at least till the tax cut plan is out :p

12. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

Got run over by the bull.

Moo!

13. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

Nothing can stop this bullish Trump market.

Until it all comes crashing down. But I'll be broke by then.

14. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

What happened at the end of the day there? The last couple of minutes it seemed to move a lot and quickly.

15. Venom08

Venom08 Active Member

Markets are up 10% since Trump won in November, pretty remarkable.
    And this is the most bearish stock market rally in history, no way we are anywhere near close to topping out. Just ride it up and btfd, we can do it. I know back in my more active days on HSM I was always bearish and whatnot, but I've seen the light and the entire world is imploding and the USA is seem as the last safe haven. US$ will rise as will our shares market due to foreign investors alone, let alone when the retail investor in the country decides to finally hop on. We're still at record low retail participation, it's crazy.

I do see a bubble in the government bonds market though. No, I'm not calling for a default on US govt (maybe some states like Illinois, New Jersey, California), but throughout the world government debt will explode due to them borrowing in US$. When they did this they forgot to account for the potential of interest rate hikes and a rising US dollar. Too much borrowing at no interest will come back to bite everyone in the butt, hence a bubble in govt. bonds. Corporate bonds should be fine though, nothing wrong with having them in a diverse and more secure retirement portfolio.

Stockaholic likes this.
  16. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

I don't know who stole Venom's account or became his body snatcher, but other Stockaholics as my witness, We Shall Avenge You!

anotherdevilsadvocate likes this.
  17. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

Well biotechs (IBB, XBI) were down today. They're at one key resistance area.

18. Stockaholic

Hah, it's funny that you should say that Venom. I feel like I can relate. :p

For anyone who has been with this community since our days on HSM going back almost 11 years will recall that I used to go by the handle "bigbear83". In fact, I used to be referred to by many of the regulars then as HSM's resident permabear back in the day lol. I'm often embarrassed to admit this now though, but the truth is that I have always been bearish for as long as I can remember, really up until recently maybe like a year or two ago or something...

That's when this happened-

:eek:

[​IMG]

Joking aside ... There was a former member at the old HSM boards who went by the handle "mjoke" (anyone remember him?!) -- he was maybe the the site's biggest permabear I have ever seen on the interwebs. Not kidding. He made me look like a permabull compared to him lol. Those were some really crazy days man.

But, not to steer off subject here, I agree with you @Venom08 that there is likely no meaningful top in sight as of yet. Barring any major disasters (or black swan events as I like to call 'em) I'm thinking this can continue running for a few more years as ridiculous as that might sound as we're already 8 years in to this current bull cycle.

And you're absolutely spot in IMO as far as your comment on "retail participation being at record lows". That is one of the things that is flabbergasting to me. Which has been one of the reasons why I have been saying for a while now that I don't sense any "euphoria" out there... Yes, we keep making new highs for what seems like a daily basis, but with retail participation basically non-existent. Euphoria = zilch. There are still far too many doubters and disbelievers out there...

Until that changes, it seems like this can go on for a bit while longer... I don't like to look too long term. Mostly 6-12 months out at max. I am always wary of a black swan though. But, barring anything crazy like that, could this current bull cycle eventually challenge the raging 90s bull run? That is looking waaaaaay too far out though.

Anyway, it's good to see you around again @Venom08

19. Wolfy

Wolfy Active Member

Goldman sees treasury 10 yr yield to hit 3% this year; however, it has trouble to break 2.5 consistently. Apparently, it has been bouncing from that point multiple times already.
    I wonder if the next rate hike will push it through or the King dollar

20. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

World markets and pre-market heading into today's trading session:

upload_2017-2-22_7-58-54.png

upload_2017-2-22_7-59-26.png