Stock Market Today: February 27th - March 3rd

Discussion in 'Stock Market Today' started by Stockaholic, Feb 24, 2017.

1. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Looks like Jeff Sessions is going to next:
    Sessions met with Russian envoy twice last year, encounters he later did not disclose

2. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Heard that on Bloomberg on my way into work as well. However, they were saying that it seems like the democrats are trying to spin it like he did something wrong when really he met with the Russian ambassador as a senator before he was involved with Trump and his campaign. Something similar to that anyways. We'll see what is found in the investigation.

If the Clinton's weren't found guilty for a meeting during Hillary's investigation, I can't imagine Sessions gets found guilty ;)

Baggi likes this.
  3. Ken34

Ken34 2017 Stock Picking Contest Winner

snap ipo may not open till 11-11:30 now and the opening price is now up to 21-23 dollars, there is just too much demand before the open of it, this is crazy.

4. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

This selling pressure today is making me regret buying back some of my short futures last night.

Still holding some though.

5. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

One morning you will wake up to that big drop, which always comes after a big rally like this.

Which morning is it? Im not sure yet! :D

Baggi likes this.
  6. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Isn't there that thing about crazy IPOs often marking the top, or short term top of rallies?

Baggi and anotherdevilsadvocate like this.
  7. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

He may have just had tea and talked about the weather with the Russian ambassador, but the problem is that he said he never had any contact with Russians when clearly there was.

8. Stockaholic

Stockaholic Content Manager

Oh SNAP its open! :p

SNAP opens at 24.00

Up close to +50% atm

9. Montego335

Montego335 New Member

10. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Montego335 likes this.
  11. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

You mean it's going to benefit from this market's exuberance then take it right down?
    The least it could do is rally us today.

12. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Im pretty sure there is some correlation between frothy IPOs and short term market tops.

13. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

Fake news.

He was specifically asked if he had contact regarding the Trump campaign. Everyone is conveniently leaving that out.

On the other hand, Claire McCaskill did lie. She said she never had any calls or meetings with Russian ambassador but tweeted in 2013 she had a meeting and tweeted in 2015 she had a call.

Ooops!

14. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

Sounds good to me. Maybe a SNAP rally can take SPX to the top of the Bollinger tomorrow, then we pull back for short term.

15. hitman

hitman Well-Known Member

what you are seeing is the Democratic are sore losers and the media keeps look for ways to discredit the new President and his people because they are not part of the establishment.

16. twerpner

twerpner Active Member

From the text of the senate confirmation hearings;

During his confirmation hearing, Sessions was asked two questions about Russia, one verbally by Sen. Al Franken, the Minnesota Democrat on Jan. 10, who asked “If there was any evidence that anyone affiliated with the Trump campaign communicated with the Russian government in the course of this (2016) campaign, what would you do?”

Sessions replied, “I’m not aware of any of those activities. I have been called a surrogate at a time or two in that campaign and I did not have communications with the Russians.”

Finally, Leahy asked whether Sessions had “been in contact with anyone connected to any part of the Russian government about the 2016 election, either before or after election day,” to which Sessions responded simply “No.”

Looks like he Sessions defenders want to focus on his answer to the second question and not the answer to the first. As a Canadian its interesting to see how each side seems to spin the same basic facts. Its quite something to watch from an outsiders perspective, but I can't see the GOP getting out of this one. To me the fact that he talked to the Russians is a non event, since he was expected to be part of Trumps cabinet. But telling Congress you didn't is a pretty bad sign. Even if you misheard or mis-remember the question, it doesn't look too good.

#136 twerpner, Mar 2, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  17. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

According to Breitbart, the issue was that Franken asked about "ongoing communications" and Sessions said "Senator Franken, I’m not aware of any of those activities. I have been called a surrogate at a time or two in that campaign and I did not have communications with the Russians, and I’m unable to comment on it."

Here is the problem, he said he did not have communications. Period.

The correct answer would have to say yes, he had communication about other stuff, but he did not say that.

In Sessions defense I would say he was well aware that trying to explain he did have contact with Russians would have resulted in him losing the nomination, so he worded his answer this way.

How this pans out is up to the GOP lawmakers now.

To be fair, we had Fox news doing that for 8yrs with Obama.

18. Rock Sexton

Rock Sexton Meat Popsicle

Too bad the public is only up 10%.

Only Goldman's private select clientele got entries at 17-18 for that 50%.

19. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Yields up, but banks are doing poorly while utilities and staples are doing well. Interesting

20. Stockaholic

Stockaholic Content Manager