Stock Market Today: January 23rd - 27th

Discussion in 'Stock Market Today' started by Stockaholic, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Tiptopptrader

Tiptopptrader Well-Known Member

GOOGL is the one reporting after the bell

2. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Interesting, I think the VIX will bounce pretty soon this time around but we will see :p

3. stock1234

They are pretty much same thing I think, you just have the voting rights with GOOGL but no voting right when you have GOOG

4. stock1234

That's a nice idea, I never really thought about it ;) yeah owning something like VXX is tricky, you need to get in and out quickly or the decay is gonna kill you

Baggi likes this.
  5. Stockaholic

Stockaholic Content Manager

For anyone who is interested in this kind of stuff, I just went ahead and created a brand new spread here that tracks the 7 major u.s. indices and their current pullback/correction (from -1% to -22%) off their respective 52-week highs. As well as the % rally from the yearly close (which is accessible in the 2nd tab on my sheet).

I've often had people ask me in the past where the SPX would be trading if it went down say -10%, -20%, etc. from the highs ... well now with this new spread you guys are all able to keep track of the exact percentage pullback/correction & price for each of the major indices. All of the data that you see in my sheet is absolutely 100% accurate and in Real-time. And if the indices should make a new high at any point it will all update automatically. I was originally going to create this just using the SPX, but then decided what the heck, why not include all of the major indices that I follow.

Click the button below to access my new spread-
    [​IMG] <-- Click there to Open!

Here are the screen captures for those of you who are not able to open my Google Sheet for whatever reason...let me know what you all think!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

You're a spreadsheet maniac, living in the era of Big Data. Imagine if you printed them all up.

7. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Or did them by hand!

8. Stockaholic

Here are the most notable ERs due out before the market open tomorrow morning from the following companies (w/ charts & estimates):
    ($AAL $CVX $ABBV $GD $HON $CL $GNTX $NEE $UBS $APD $BEN $BT $SSB $TCB $HRC $ACBI $PEBO $PFS $POL $SBSI)
    [​IMG]

Below are the tickers coming out with earnings before market open tomorrow morning with the expected time of release & estimates-

Friday 1.27.17 Before Market Open Earnings Releases:
    [​IMG]

9. Stockaholic

Haha. Seems like I have a spread for everything nowadays. Albeit I'll have to be 100% honest here, it can sometimes be a pain in rear when most of my spreads are literally created from a blank sheet! The worst one was re-creating our Stockaholics members voting record spreadsheet from scratch when Mark Vierra left HSM lemme tell ya! That thing literally took me a good few days or a week to put together. Pain! But, truthfully the end results are pretty rewarding, and I'm thankful I haven't really experienced any snags while creating any of my sheets. Or at least I haven't up to this point. And I'm also thankful that I'm a fairly decent typist. I don't think I would ever entertain the idea of creating spreads if I was bad/slow at typing lol. The things that can be done on a spreadsheet are truly limitless as long as one knows what they are doing.

"Spreadsheet maniac" -- yeah that sounds about right there lol. Perhaps I go a little too extreme with spreadsheets. But, meh, truth be told I do find myself using these all the time, and it's always nice that I can use real-time market data from either Google or Yahoo.

Anyway, sorry if you guys are getting a little spreadsheet nausea from me. That particular spread that I shared was actually done by request from a few people on the StockMarket subreddit. Those guys have been killing me for something like that for sometime now. So, figured I would share in here as well...

T0rm3nted likes this.
  10. stock1234

The VIX down again today :eek: VXX up a little though, I will pass on it for now

Baggi likes this.
  11. stock1234

Not playing the earnings today (MSFT, INTC, SBUX, GOOGL), but will keep an eye on them and try to open a position tomorrow if any of them overshoots to the upside or downside

12. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

I only played sbux. Pretty bearish on them. I sold 2 $60 calls and bought 1 $58 put. Took in a small credit.

13. Value543

Value543 Well-Known Member

Ah geez, that's right! What ever happened to Mark? Sorely missed....

14. Stockaholic

@Value543 I actually had a chat with him over on Twitter back in October (which was like the first time I had heard from him since he left this community in 2015) he was creating videos on Youtube of his trading room at the time from what I recall. But, I haven't seen/heard from him since then. I wholeheartedly agree that he has been hugely missed around here. His weekly charting analysis was seriously like none other ... hands down one of the best T/A chartist I've ever seen on any stock community on the 'net personally.

BTW, if you're interested to know exactly what happened with Mark V. just before he disappeared from this community, I actually had managed to find the archives of the conversation he had with another HSMer who basically was the "culprit" of him leaving this community for good. I'm so fortunate I had backed this all up before our move here into Stockaholics.

--> CLICK ME! <--

It's been such a long time since that infamous day, but I thought it was worthy to post that in here in a way to refresh all of our memories from that dark day. Shame it had to end in the way that it did. And it was very surprising as it came from another "mod" who essentially ran him off the board... :rolleyes:

Value543 likes this.
  15. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

Gold might take a beating tonight. Some bank and insurance stocks (BAC recovered from the ER, MFC and PRI) were looking like they were picking up strength.

16. Value543

Another blast from the past -- what ever happened to THAT guy?!

Sorry for bringing old $h*t -- just curious really...

17. Value543

Pretty nice 2x day pop in the RUT, but the stall out @ the 2nd pivot high keeps us well inside the Chop Zone. If that ceiling + the former RTL hold, tomorrow will be a pretty narrow trading day. Personally, I'm thinking more of a pullback into the RUT's welll established support zones within the Chop. My guess is 1365s are most likely, as the 20 DMA hasn't meant much to the RUT since coming off the ATHs. My counter point to all this is the MACD Histogram, which continued to accelerate to the upside despite today's candle. We'll see...

Daily RUT.jpg

18. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

I'm looking for the /ES to hit 2300 during regular trading hours (We came close last night after hours) and maybe a little over. Just because it's fun, I'm going to call the top 2303.75.

Then the markets correct for a little bit.

19. Ken34

Ken34 2017 Stock Picking Contest Winner

if were calling tops, then i call 2330 ish area as a top.

20. Stockaholic