Stock Market Today: January 30th - February 3rd

Discussion in 'Stock Market Today' started by Stockaholic, Jan 27, 2017.

1. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Right now the market is not pricing in the rate hike next month since the odds for the March rate hike are at just 25%. Let's see if the FED will use the announcement today to push those odds higher.

2. Stockaholic

Stockaholic Content Manager

3. Ken34

Ken34 2017 Stock Picking Contest Winner

FORGET APPLE, HAVE YOU SEEN AMD!?!?!!? WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

BULL MARKET, LETS GO!!!

this is even sweeter because i had doubled down on AMD when it hit the 50 DMA around 9.77, that day it took me like 30 minutes before i was filled -_-

4. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

What does Paul Singer who run the $31B Elliot Management hedge fund, have to say about the future under this administration?

[​IMG]

I found this article pretty much along the lines of what I have been saying here lately.

We have been so used to QE and low rates that for the first time in as long as investors (we have extremely short memories) can remember, we find ourselves in a rising rate environment!

Singer says the following:

"Because the monetary policies pursued throughout the developed world since the GFC were unprecedented, the outcomes of the foregoing scenarios are unknowable. Nevertheless, it is essential to try to figure out how the central banks will exit from QE, ZIRP, and NIRP.

"It will be interesting to watch. If inflationary expectations get rolling, it might be amazing how quickly they take hold. 'Very quickly' would be in rough alignment with the magnitude of the monetary extremism of the post-GFC period, but there is no way to predict exactly how it will all play out."

And:

"There is a deep underlying complacency which we think permeates global financial markets. The basically-low volatility of the last eight years has led to a widespread assumption that financial market volatility has been bottled and will remain controlled.

"Moreover, despite the radical monetary policy which has become orthodoxy for the entire developed world's central banks, there is no fear of a near-term eruption of significant systemic price inflation. It is a fool's errand to predict the near-term course of inflation (and global central bankers and policymakers have failed miserably and continuously in performing this errand), but we believe that the global confidence in the placidity and boundaries of inflation (and global financial risk) is misplaced and overdone."

Yeah, I know, opinions are like assholes right?

I think we all know better than to put on the bear hats too early, but I always like to hear what the big money thinks and pay close attention how they plan to approach 2017.

I agree that the easy money is done. Rising rates will make this a stock pickers market again, like the old days, I say bring it on!

stock1234 and T0rm3nted like this.
  5. stock1234

I think so, the days of you can just buy blindly on any stock and make money should be gone if interest rates continue to rise

6. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

Somehow the VIX went down to 10.0 today?

7. stock1234

Pretty lackluster day for the market and yet the VIX was down something like 5% when I looked at it earlier today :eek: Now bouncing back a little though

8. anotherdevilsadvocate

I thought it was a bad print, but it shows up in different time frames. Didn't stay there for long at least.
    [​IMG]

stock1234 likes this.
  9. Stockaholic

^^ yeah it's also showing up on the tos platform as well ... and the low print i'm showing there is ... get this ... you ready...?

a 9 handle! lol

[​IMG]

stock1234 likes this.
  10. stock1234

I was just looking at the VIX on the CNBC APP on my phone and it showed that it was down something like 5%. Maybe the bad print happened when I was looking at it :p

11. stock1234

I was wondering why the VIX was down so much when the market was barely moving haha :p

12. Stockaholic

13. heyimsnuffles

heyimsnuffles Active Member

PESOOOO, just killing it recently as called for. Big reversal signal here. All bounces should be faded (meaning long peso)

[​IMG]

14. anotherdevilsadvocate

Island top in the indexes, formed a couple days ago as noted in the Bear Thread here.

But USO looking good, staying above the 50 sma since that big candle in December
    [​IMG]

15. Stockaholic

16. Stockaholic

Quite the choppy day today. Probably no surprise ahead of tomorrow's UE report. Speaking of which and just for fun what's everyone got for a headline # on tomorrow's report?

I setup a poll here:

17. stock1234

I guess we won't see too much movement today ahead of the NFP tomorrow :p If we get a strong report tomorrow, would be interesting to see if the dollar would regain some kind of momentum. BTW, anyone knows if we usually had a lower volume day on the Friday before the Super Bowl?

18. aaa

aaa Member

Snap Inc, the parent company of messaging app Snapchat filed for $3bn IPO on Thursday. At ~$25bn valuation, it could be the most richly valued tech IPO since Facebook Inc. But it will also be the first US company to go public not granting voting rights to stock market investors.

But analysts are questioning the sustainability of its business model with tapering growth in prime markets and a high-cost structure. The company posted losses of $515mn last year. With $405mn in revenues and a valuation of ~$25bn, it is commanding a P/S ratio of 62 times. This is against FB P/S of only 13X, highest amongst its competitors including Google and Twitter. Despite a growth rate higher than FB, Snap Inc.'s valuation seems to be expensive given its losses vs FB profits. With no say in management, no promises to share profits and an overstretched valuation, will it be a worthwhile buy?

19. Stockaholic

@stock1234 not sure about the lower volume day on the Friday before the SB. But I just tumbled across this interesting piece regarding the SB and the stock market. Apparently it's call the "Super Bowl Indicator" lol. I remember someone from the old HSM boards once posted about something like this, but obviously we lost that post. But here's another one I stumbled across this morning.

Evidently the markets have performed better when an NFC team has the SB versus when an AFC team has won it. Albeit, this certainly wasn't the case in last year's SB as my Carolina Panthers (NFC) were trounced by the Denver Broncos (AFC) yet the markets ended the full year up around +10%. However, it's particularly unfavorable for the markets when the Patriots are in the SB. We'll see about that again this year. I'm actually rooting for Atlanta myself. The Pats have won enough! How about another team winning it all for once lol.

[​IMG]

20. Stockaholic

/es catching a bid on the nfp's ... see if that holds for today