Stock Market Today: January 9th - 13th

Discussion in 'Stock Market Today' started by Stockaholic, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Stockaholic

Stockaholic Content Manager

Haha. Just showing my appreciation for all the great commentary/analysis that you bring to these weekly threads! It's like old time man. So glad you are back this year. :D

Value543 and Baggi like this.
  2. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

I agree. I remember when we had so much analysis it turned into flame wars several times a week.

Good times. Good times.

Value543 likes this.
  3. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

Looks like I ended up making about $30.00. Woohoo!

I was down several hundred, so that's nice.

4. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

Long and Short.jpg
    This is why I went long and short today. I was short and bought back my short after that first really long candle wick, that was right after Trump's press conference. Then, when it went down again, I went short again and it went back up again. Quickly bought back and sat for a few. Then after that 3rd long candle which, where the blue arrow is, I went long again, sold near the top, and went short at the yellow arrow.

All in all, worked out to a measly $30.00 gain. Had I sold when I saw the market was down 8.00 points, I'd have had a much better day.

Value543 likes this.
  5. LloydWCoutee

LloydWCoutee Active Member

$NUGT$JNUG I wonder how many traders are gonna kick themselves for selling during the dump yesterday.

6. rStock

rStock Well-Known Member

Is this real?

Attached Files:

7. Stockaholic

1:5 reverse split (UVXY)

And nice of you to finally make your first post @rStock! Been noticing your lurking for months. Welcome!

8. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Asia down, Europe down, and futures down. Looks like the odds of a RED day are pretty high. I'll post the graphics when it gets a little closer.

9. Stockaholic

Top of the morning Stockaholics. Here are your morning pre-market movers & news on this Thursday-

1/12 Thursday's Stock News Movers: DAL, AAPL, DIS, TWTR, BA, KBH, AMZN, GS, JNJ, AVGO, FIT

Good day Stockaholics! Happy Thursday!
    ;)

[​IMG]

Dollar, Futures Slump; Gold Spikes Over $1,200 After Trump Disappoints Markets
    • Obamacare Repeal Effort Clears First Big Hurdle in U.S. Senate: the U.S. Senate took the first step toward repealing Obamacare in a razor-thin vote early Thursday
    • U.S. Said to Prepare WTO Complaint Against China on Aluminum: case focusing on loans said to be unveiled as soon as Thursday; global glut of aluminum threatening remaining U.S. capacity
    • Alphabet Says It Shut Down Titan Drone Internet Project: similar project pursued by Facebook has also faced setback
    • Blackstone Said to Vie With Warburg, Chinese Group for GLP: Blackstone considering offer for GLP, potentially pitting it against Warburg Pincus and a separate Chinese group
    • J&J, Actelion Said to Reach Tentative Agreement on Price: discussions now said to focus on valuing separated R&D unit; companies could reach a final deal as soon as this month
    • VW Officials Destroyed Files, E-Mails as Diesel Scheme Unraveled: co. pleads guilty, 5 more charged in emissions cheat
    • Tillerson Says China Can’t Have Access to South China Sea Isles: U.S. Secretary of State nominee says China must be denied access to artificial islands built in disputed water
    • U.S. Intelligence Chief Tells Trump He’s Dismayed by Leaks: Clapper said leak likely didn’t originate from spy agencies
    • HSBC to Pay $45 Million to Settle Euribor Price-Fixing Case
    • Floor & Decor Said to Revive IPO With >$1b Valuation: Reuters
    • Jawbone Said to Be Looking for Funds After Fitbit Approach: FT
    • CVC Capital Said in Advanced Talks to Buy MSC Software: Reuters
    • Apax Partners Sells 48% Stake in GlobalLogic For $1.5b: ET

STOCK FUTURES NOW:
    [​IMG]

FRIDAY'S MARKET HEAT MAP:
    [​IMG]

FRIDAY'S S&P SECTORS:
    [​IMG]

TODAY'S ECONOMIC CALENDAR:
    [​IMG]

MOST ACTIVE TRENDING PRE-MARKET DISCUSSIONS (TICKER SYMBOLS ARE CLICKABLE!):

THIS WEEK'S EARNINGS CALENDAR:

[​IMG]

TODAY'S EARNINGS RELEASES:

BEFORE MARKET OPEN:
    [​IMG]

AFTER MARKET CLOSE:
    [​IMG]

THIS MORNING'S ANALYST UPGRADES/DOWNGRADES:
    [​IMG]

THIS MORNING'S PRE-MARKET NEWS MOVERS:

source: cnbc.com

[​IMG]

• Delta Air Lines — The airline earned an adjusted 82 cents per share for its fourth quarter, matching estimates, with revenue above Street forecasts. Delta also said it should see profit margins begin to expand once again during the second half of this year, and that passenger revenue should be flat to up two percent this quarter. That would mark the end of a two-year decline in that metric.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Apple — Apple is planning to move into original TV show and movie production in a significant way, according to The Wall Street Journal.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Walt Disney — Pivotal Research downgraded Disney to "sell" from "hold," and cut its price target to $86 from $102. The firm cites an increasing cost of capital, and also notes soft TV audience trends and the erosion of ESPN's subscriber base.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Twitter — Pivotal also downgraded Twitter To "hold" from "buy," citing the higher cost of capital, as well as a decreasing likelihood that the company will receive a buyout offer.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Boeing — Boeing was rated "underperform" in new coverage at RBC Capital, pointing to what it calls "underappreciated headwinds" including margin pressure created by new commercial platforms.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • KB Home — The home builder reported quarterly profit of 40 cents per share, one cent a share above estimates. Revenue came in slightly above forecasts. KB Home also issued better-than-expected numbers for orders and deliveries, and has its highest backlog in terms of dollar value in a decade.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Toyota — The automaker said company President Akio Toyoda met with Vice President-elect Mike Pence in Washington earlier this week, amid calls by the incoming administration to build more cars in the US.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Amazon.com — Amazon's Canadian unit will pay a nearly $757,000 fine to settle a probe by that country into pricing. Canadian officials had said the Amazon website gave inaccurate data on how much consumers would save on given items.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Fiat Chrysler — The automaker has a "significantly greater than 50 percent" chance of hitting its 2018 financial targets, according to Chief Executive Officer Sergio Marchionne. He made his comments in a meeting with Wall Street analysts.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Volkswagen — The company's cash flow is sufficient to fund its $4.3 billion settlement with the U.S. Justice Department over its diesel emissions scandal, according to a Dow Jones report.

[​IMG]
    • QVC — QVC reported a six percent drop in U.S. sales for its third quarter, its first year-over-year drop in the U.S. in seven years. The home shopping channel is being hurt by increasing competition from online and brick-and-mortar retailers.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Goldman Sachs — Goldman executive Dina Powell is set to leave the firm to join the Trump White House as an adviser, according to reports. Powell currently runs philanthropic activities for Goldman.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Johnson & Johnson — J&J and Swiss biotech firm Actelion have approached Swiss officials to get their opinion about whether the structure of a proposed takeover deal would pass muster. That's according to a Swiss newspaper, which said a review by the country's takeover board is still going on.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Broadcom — Broadcom completed the largest corporate bond deal of the new year, selling $13.55 billion in new debt. That was more than the $10 billion to $13 billion the chip maker had initially signaled that it planned to sell.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Fitbit — The Financial Times reports that the fitness device maker was interested in acquiring rival Jawbone's assets last month, but the talks fell apart after Fitbit's offer price was deemed insufficient. The paper said Jawbone is now close to securing funds from a new investor.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Have a good trading day to everyone in here on this Thursday! ;)

[​IMG]

10. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

World markets and pre-market heading into today's trading session:

upload_2017-1-12_8-15-38.png

upload_2017-1-12_8-16-1.png

11. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Off to a bad start early:

upload_2017-1-12_8-46-2.png

12. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Looks like Steel is being downgraded by Credit Suisse today @twerpner AKS/X

13. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

I'm benefiting from this down move but not nearly as much as I could be had I sold some future call options.

Ah well. If we get a 3% plus down move, I'll sell some puts.

14. Tiptopptrader

Tiptopptrader Well-Known Member

Anyone else having problems with CNBC?. It keeps pausing after a minute or too...If not then it is probably my service

15. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

No TV for me right now.

IBB/XBI holding up comparatively well right now.

16. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

Went long again at 2253. Stop below today's low.

17. Ken34

Ken34 2017 Stock Picking Contest Winner

down day. but my account is up....barely , labu is putting in work today lol, glad i got back in yesterday, bac and amd slamming me right now.

Baggi likes this.
  18. Talon

Talon Member

Wazzup fools? Been a long time since I last looked at the markets.

Is anyone seriously investing in this market anymore? Earnings don't seem half bad lately, but P/E just keeps creeping up and up and up.. I'm always thinking "they can't keep getting away with this", but it has been this way for about three years now. And all this on the back of the dollar being over 100.

Beyond that, volatility looks absolutely nonexistent the past few months. Looks like brokers are raping day traders with commission so people can struggle to scalp a few handles.

Some S&P analysis I guess..... daily chart looks like a very poor high around the ATH's.. my guess is we back off from that level to around 2200 before making another run higher.

Value543 likes this.
  19. Jared Perez

Jared Perez New Member

ETRM might go up...or come crashing down...

20. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

ETRM not getting the volume any more. Couple of gaps below it.

Looks like AVXL is setting up for something.
    [​IMG]