Stock Market Today: January 9th - 13th

Discussion in 'Stock Market Today' started by Stockaholic, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

I keep wanting to go long volitility but just can't bring myself to pull the trigger.

I mean how much further down can it go?

2. Stockaholic

Stockaholic Content Manager

Baggi likes this.
  3. internationalstocks

internationalstocks Active Member

Looks like Soros really missed this last bet. $1 Billion loss is no joke

Billionaire George Soros Lost Nearly $1 Billion in Weeks After Trump Election - The Wall Street Journal
    https://apple.news/A_5pfdGuhQNKIrOxgu2jxVw

4. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

I'm thinking about JPM. The others don't seem to have enough premium.

Haven't done anything yet.

But kicking off earnings? Tsk tsk. If you pay attention to the awesome earnings thread, you'll see I'm 2 for 2 already this earnings season. Woot!

5. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Earnings season begins tomorrow :D The banks should report some very good numbers tomorrow, just don't know how much good news have already baked into those banks stocks since the runup after the election.

6. Stockaholic

was just observing this week's spx daily chart ... found it kind of odd how we closed on the absolute low tick on monday, then unchanged on tues., and then closed on the absolute high tick yesterday ... and now today we look to be closing near flat after the big dip early this morning ... it is also worth noting that the spx is still w/o a -1.00% decline in the past 64 trading days. 66 trading days was the longest such streak since the bull market began in march '09.

[​IMG]

i'm gonna try to dig up some more info. to see what happened the prior times we saw such streak and what proceeded after that ... apparently a streak this long or longer has only happened 29 times since 1928.

Value543 and stock1234 like this.
  7. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

Wow. That's a long streak.

Know why you see long streaks like this? Here is my conspiracy theory.

You've got to break the back of the bears to start. Turn them into bulls. Then you've got to get all the bulls high on profits. Everything is unicorns and rainbows.

This increases the fear (and profits) when the crash finally comes.

stock1234 likes this.
  8. stock1234

Long streak indeed :eek: I think volatility will be picking up after the inauguration :rolleyes:

9. stock1234

The market remains very resilient. When I went to sleep and saw the yen up big last night, I thought we were going to have a pretty red day :p

10. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

This worked out nicely. Just got out at 2265. I may go short tonight. Not sure.

11. Ken34

Ken34 2017 Stock Picking Contest Winner

i saw that last night, but wasnt too sure how relevant the yen carry trade still was.

12. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

I'm feeling JPM down (but gets bought back) and WFC up tomorrow.

15-minute chart of SPY shows a resistance
    [​IMG]

That would break if the banks do great tomorrow, and also we'd get Dow 20k pretty much. But since I don't think we get that under Obama, that's why I'm feeling like the banks will be mixed at best.

13. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

If we get up to 2268 I think I'll try another short play.

14. Value543

Value543 Well-Known Member

Yea, remember that? Some people I tell ya... o_O

Baggi likes this.
  15. Value543

Wow -- hey man, welcome "back" -- but it looks like you've been here...so I guess this is more me just noticing! D'Oh! :oops:

16. Value543

RUT -- some days I really hate you. WHY CAN'T YOU JUST DECIDE?!?!

Daily RUT.jpg

I almost did a happy dance when I saw the breakdown today -- only to lose RIGHT AT that TL (OK, just slightly below). This is unreal...damn you, damn you RUT! So was today's move a failed breakdown? Is the RUT really going to drag this out until Jan 19th? I'm sitting on my hands, staying neutral. RSI is down to the lows 50s now as this chop continues, so maybe this really is going to be the Bull some day it is. Days like today certainly make you believe it. I'm not quite sold, though. Near term, I see both Volume Profiles + TPO Profiles pulling the price point back into the chop (naturally, given how prolonged it has been). But we've seen failed break outs (see that nice green candle six days back) AND now failed break downs.

Whatever happens, it's gonna be "yuuuuge" -- Thanks, Donald!

*Edit: Forgot to add my call for tomorrow...I don't want to say it, but I have to say green tomorrow since there is more chop above than there is below...

#116 Value543, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    Stockaholic likes this.
  17. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

Yeah, it's getting frustrating that's for sure. Seems to be a day traders market right now. Nothing long term. Ugh!

With that, I think I'll short the ES futures right now and put my stop above today's high.

18. aaa

aaa Member

19. Stockaholic

For anyone who missed it on my group section late last night, I just thought I'd let y'alls know that I went ahead and revamped my real-time indices data spreadsheet last night. I cleaned it up some and added a few other stats to the sheet.

Included in my real-time market data spreadsheet are the follow:

Real-time data such as today's opening price, current price, the current change & % change, the previous close, today's high & low, the 52-week high & low, volume, and the time of the last trade.

This also tracks Week-to-date, Month-to-date, Quarter-to-date, and Year-to-date performances of the major indices all in real-time.

In addition, I now track the distance the major indices are from their respective ATHs on an intraday & closing basis.

And here's the cool new stuff that I added on there last night-
    • Distance away from 52-week high & low
    • Performance since the 2016 Election
    • Performance since the 2009 Bear Market Low
    Click the button below to view my real-time indices data spreadsheet-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If I come up with some other useful historical data I'll be sure to add it to the sheet there. But, I don't want to make it too overwhelming. So, I think that's about good for right now.

Let me know what y'alls think.

20. Stockaholic

Friday the 13th pre-market movers & news-

1/13 Friday's Stock News Movers: BAC, BLK, CMCSA, NFLX, FB, P, MET, GOOGL, APC, BA, MBLY, WPX, Z

Good day Stockaholics! Happy Friday!
    ;)

[​IMG]

Futures Rise On Friday 13th Ahead Of Deluge Of Bank Earnings; Dollar Continues To Decline
    • Boeing Wins $22 billion order from Indian carrier SpiceJet: order for 205 aircraft includes purchase rights for 50
    • Yellen Sees No Serious Short-Term Obstacles for U.S. Economy: says inflation “pretty close” to Fed’s 2% target, doesn’t want to see banking regulations rolled back
    • AltaGas, WGL Said to Hold Talks on Merger Topping $5 Billion: WGL was said to be weighing a sale after Iberdrola interest; cos. supply natural gas to customers in North America
    • Anadarko Sells Eagle Ford Assets to Focus on Permian, Rockies: Sanchez, Blackstone pay $2.3b for properties in Texas; deal to help Anadarko boost investment in Delaware Basin
    • Fiat Rises as Investors Question VW Parallels in Cheating Charge: EPA says Fiat Chrysler used illegal software in 104,000 autos
    • Paris Prosecutors Open Probe Into Renault Diesel Emissions
    • Mnuchin Start Date Looks Iffy as Congress Scours Wall St. Past: Senate panel to provide seven-day notice for Mnuchin hearing
    • KKR to Buy Hitachi Koki for $1.3 Billion as Group Sheds Unit: Japanese conglomerate selling non-core units as it reorganizes
    • Pandora Media Rallies as Results Top Estimates, 7% Cut in Jobs Set: the world’s largest online radio service said 4Q results exceeded its forecast; co. eliminating jobs to boost efficiency
    • Sirius Chairman Said to Say Still Keen on Buying Pandora: NYP
    • Hon Hai, Sharp Considering LCD Plant in the U.S.: Nikkei
    • Coty May Eliminate Up to 210 Jobs in Switzerland: Bilan

STOCK FUTURES NOW:
    [​IMG]

FRIDAY'S MARKET HEAT MAP:
    [​IMG]

FRIDAY'S S&P SECTORS:
    [​IMG]

TODAY'S ECONOMIC CALENDAR:
    [​IMG]

MOST ACTIVE TRENDING PRE-MARKET DISCUSSIONS (TICKER SYMBOLS ARE CLICKABLE!):

THIS WEEK'S EARNINGS CALENDAR:

[​IMG]

TODAY'S EARNINGS RELEASES:

BEFORE MARKET OPEN:
    [​IMG]

AFTER MARKET CLOSE:
    NONE.

THIS MORNING'S ANALYST UPGRADES/DOWNGRADES:

[​IMG]

THIS MORNING'S PRE-MARKET NEWS MOVERS:

source: cnbc.com

[​IMG]

• Bank of America — The bank earned 40 cents per share for the fourth quarter, two cents a share above estimates. Revenue was slightly short of forecasts. BofA's results were helped by a sharp reduction in expenses.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • BlackRock — The asset manager earned an adjusted $5.14 per share for the fourth quarter, 12 cents a share above estimates. Revenue was very slight below Street forecasts, but the firm was helped by lower expenses and a rush into low-cost ETFs. BlackRock also approved a 9 percent dividend hike and additional share repurchases.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Comcast — The NBCUniversal and CNBC parent's shares were upgraded to "buy" from "hold" at Deutsche Bank, saying the company would benefit from decreased regulation and tax reform.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Netflix — Netflix was upgraded to "hold" from "sell" at Deutsche Bank, which said it had based its "sell" rating on the stock being two years ahead of where it should be. However, it now sees better subscriber growth thanks to strength in international markets.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Facebook — Raymond James upgraded Facebook to "strong buy" from "outperform," based continued strength in ad spending and improved results for advertisers, among other factors.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Pandora Media — The online music service announced a seven percent workforce reduction and that its fourth quarter revenue will exceed its prior guidance. Pandora is seeing increases in both advertisements and paid subscribers, helping boost its results. Separately, the New York Post is reporting that SiriusXM is still interested in Pandora at the right price.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• MetLife, Unum — The insurers both received approval from Florida's insurance commissioner to raise premiums for long term care insurance. The increases will be phased in over a three-year period and will then be guaranteed for an additional seven years.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Alphabet — Alphabet confirmed that it has shut down its "Titan" project, an effort to provide internet service from drones. The Google parent shut down Titan early last year, although it has only now acknowledged the move.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Fiat Chrysler — The company's shares are rebounding in overseas trading, after plunging Thursday on EPA accusations that its software allowed an improper level of emissions in its diesel vehicles. The automaker denied the allegations and said it would contest the EPA's findings.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Boeing — Boeing received a 100-jet order from India-based budget airline SpiceJet. The carrier is buying Boeing's MAX 737 jet, with the deal including an option for 50 more.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Mobileye — Mobileye was rated buy in new coverage at Jefferies, with the firm noting the maker of autonomous driving technology has favorable market positioning.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • WPX Energy — WPX will buy assets in the Permian basin for $775 million, with the oil and gas producer saying it would partly fund the purchase through an equity sale.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Zillow — Morgan Stanley downgraded the real estate website operator's stock to "equal weight" from "overweight," saying it appears fairly valued and that under current circumstances Zillow will find it difficult to generate further significant drivers.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Have a good trading day to everyone in here on this Friday! ;)

[​IMG]