Stock Market Today: July 30th - August 3rd, 2018

Discussion in 'Stock Market Today' started by Stockaholic, Jul 27, 2018.

1. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

SPX trying to turn positive here, 10 year yields is trading at just above of 3% right now

OldFart likes this.
  2. stock1234

OldFart likes this.
  3. stock1234

China selling off, down over 2% right now. US futures down slightly

OldFart likes this.
  4. Stockaholic

Stockaholic Content Manager

5. Stockaholic

i guess i can post up next week's earnings whispers weekly calendars a couple of days earlier than i usually do since i know a few of you like to get a head start on these.

and here are all of the companies listed for each day next week (this includes the date/time & consensus earnings estimates)-

https://www.stockaholics.net/threads/upcoming-earnings.3838/page-8#post-82818 <-- click there to view!

as always the case, i'll have all of this info. posted on our new weekly thread for next week as well.

[​IMG]

6. Stockaholic

good thursday morning stockaholics!

here is the pre-market thread for those wanting to get a quick read in before today's open-
    [​IMG] <-- click there to open!

hope everyone has a great trading day ahead! :)

OldFart likes this.
  7. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

Let's see if TSLA can make it over $332, for now.

As always, I think I mistimed my bearishness :cool:
    Everyone knows they will make money next quarter.
    But it sounds like it is only due to them selling their pollution tax credits to other companies
    Bears maybe hibernate another quarter, at least.

OldFart, stock1234 and Stockaholic like this.
  8. Jrich

Jrich Well-Known Member

Weird... TDA and Yahoo Finance show AAPL already at a $T market cap... But CNBC and Fox Business are saying it needs a 207 handle to reach a trillion

What's up with that?

OldFart and stock1234 like this.
  9. anotherdevilsadvocate

Maybe there is uncertainty about the exact number of shares outstanding, as they have been actively buying back?

Jrich, OldFart and stock1234 like this.
  10. stock1234

Our market continues to outperform despite the global selloff :eek: SPX just less than 2% away from ATH, let’s see if we get there soon :D

Jrich, Stockaholic and OldFart like this.
  11. anotherdevilsadvocate

Just listened to last night's Fast Money, they played a snippet of the TSLA conference. Musk says they will be cash-flow positive in every quarter going forward. I only heard that was going to be for the next 2 quarters, but this sounds better.

OldFart, JaysonW and Stockaholic like this.
  12. Stockaholic

^^ haha, correct me if i'm wrong here but i believe it was you who was calling for SPX ATH at some point this summer back, back during the midst of the market correction? that is going to be a helluva epic call if the SPX does eventually go on to print the ATH...and even if it doesn't officially, i think it's still a great call because it's recaptured almost the entire down move. so, i'll just get ahead of this now and say NICE CALL @stock1234! :cool: :D

stock1234 and Jrich like this.
  13. anotherdevilsadvocate

Someone on Fast Money was talking about rotating out of growth stocks and into value stocks, and mentioned semiconductors.

MU bouncing off the trend line.
    [​IMG]

14. stock1234

Thanks Cy :D I think the continuous selloff in China is somewhat worrisome, but still fairly confident that we will see a new ATH pretty soon with how well our market is acting :p

OldFart and Stockaholic like this.
  15. stock1234

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At some point the Chinese market should be a buying opportunity, will keep an eye on them :D

OldFart likes this.
  16. stock1234

I was bearish and dead wrong on TSLA before earnings :p Big fan of Musk and the company though

17. Stockaholic

Are Only a Few Stocks Really Leading Us Higher?

One of the more popular narratives we’ve heard this year is that only a few large stocks are pulling the overall market higher. We don’t agree with this assessment, and have cited several metrics over the last few months that showed market participation has been broad and eventual new highs in the S&P 500 Index were likely. Remember, when more stocks are moving higher, the bull market’s momentum increases.

Below are a few reasons why we still see broad participation and a continuation of the bull market:
    • The Advance/Decline (A/D) lines for the NYSE and S&P 500 both closed at all-time highs last week.
    • The Dow A/D line made new highs earlier this week.
    • The Value Line Geometric Index is less than 2% from its all-time high. This index equally weights all stocks and is a good gauge for how the median stock is performing.
    • The Technology Equal Weight Index made a new high last week.
    • The Nasdaq 100 Equal Weight Index made a new all-time high last week.
    “The one constant that has suggested higher equity prices this year has been market breadth. Tariffs, tweets, and rate worries might be in the headlines, but we’ve been comforted by the fact that many market measures of breadth have suggested eventual new highs and we are happy to report this is still the case today,” explained LPL Research Senior Market Strategist Ryan Detrick.

There has been a lot of news coverage around the five largest companies now being worth more than the bottom 250 in the S&P 500. Thanks to data from our friends at Ned Davis Research (NDR), the top five stocks in the S&P 500 account now for 13.98% of the total index. As our LPL Chart of the Day shows, the current weight of the top five stocks is actually beneath the average of 14.33% using NDR’s data going back to 1972.

[​IMG]

This is another sign that investors should ignore the narrative that only a few stocks are leading us higher and that the market is doomed.

18. JaysonW

JaysonW Member

Of course the China sell off continues. I took a large position in FXI today at $41.80. As of late, one could make a lot of money doing the opposite of me. Ugh!

stock1234 and OldFart like this.
  19. Stockaholic

20. Stockaholic

also, just wanted to quickly reach out to some of you who chime into this weekly thread.

in case any of you missed it, we have our monthly jobs report predicting poll up-
    it would be cool to get a couple more votes in there before 8:30am eastern. don't forget to post your vote on that thread as well. :D

stock1234 and OldFart like this.