Stock Market Today: June 12th - 16th

Discussion in 'Stock Market Today' started by Stockaholic, Jun 9, 2017.

1. tbw875

tbw875 Active Member

Considering the rough seas that Tech is going through, I'm not actually getting hit too hard. I don't really have a desire to diversify right now, tech stocks and SPY/EFA seems like a winning combo.

2. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

Chinese stocks were looking kinda weak (WB, HTHT, etc). And then I found this:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-40269462
    As with a lot of things in that communist country, specifics are not being let out
    What I'm piecing together (albeit in not much more than 15 minutes lol) is that Anbang is owned, on paper, by Wu and family members. However Anbang is a huge company and the family members only live modestly, so it is suspected that the real owners are others (probably Communist Party connections right)...or else Anbang doesn't really have as much money as they should. Well Wu tried to make a real estate deal with Jared Kushner (married to Ivanka Trump), and in other ways had "tested limits" of freedom in China. And now China is pulling the leash.

#42 anotherdevilsadvocate, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  3. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

As bad as tech has done lately, the NASDAQ is still just a little more than 3% from its ATH, would be nice if we get a 10% correction for the NASDAQ :D

Stockaholic and StockJock-e like this.
  4. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Im with you there, give a nice dip into Oct please!!

stock1234 and Stockaholic like this.
  5. Stockaholic

Stockaholic Content Manager

I agree with @stock1234 ... a -10% correction does sound sexy :D

As much as I would love to see that, I'm just not sure if we're gonna see it (at least not this year anyway). :(

This is about the most resilient market I have personally ever witnessed in the 12 years that I have either been observing or trading these markets.

We get these brief one or two day selloffs which on the surface looks scary and like it's about to be the start of something more significant and meaningful, but then the BTFDippers quickly step right in and bring us back to new highs haha.

I really don't know what is going to be the straw that breaks the camels back so-to-speak...

This market has managed to fend off all kinds of bad and negative news events during this entire bull market run... and boy have there been a plethora of bad news over the past couple of months to say the least...

The market seems to have its dip in the morning, make a session low in the late morning, then once European markets close up for the day, our markets find its footing around lunchtime and rally back to either UNCH'd or close to it, if not higher into the close... Rinse and repeat as we have seen for weeks and months and years on end...

Pretty amazing stuff. This will be one for the record books for sure once this bull market has concluded ... whenever that is lol. :p

6. Stockaholic

watching to see if the nasdaq 100 can hang on here and close above its daily 50sma for one more day today ... if it does it would make it the 3rd longest streak ever in history

[​IMG]

it's a close one...

[​IMG]

7. Timbo

Timbo Active Member

As Big bear mentioned, identify the pattern and work it. This method has worked great for me. To much money to be made these days to let cash set in a bank account for a percent or two. That probably has a lot to do with this prolonged bull market. Buy the dips is the new mentality and it's working out good. Just don't see the huge correction the perma bears are screaming for, most see through the intended bad news and we keep moving higher. To da moon boys n girls...

8. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Not a fun day for grocery stocks :p

Jrich likes this.
  9. Jrich

Jrich Well-Known Member

Yea i dodged that bullet... just stopped out of WFM 2 days ago

10. Stockaholic

tbw875 likes this.
  11. Jrich

Jrich Well-Known Member

Don't even know what to say:confused:

12. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

WHAA?

AMZN buying whole foods?

That makes no sense!

BUY ! :D

13. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

WFM halted?

Jrich likes this.
  14. Jrich

Jrich Well-Known Member

Noticed that too... is that what happens when a company gets bought out??

15. Stockaholic

i'm hearing wfm will open at 9:50am eastern time, 'bout 10min. from now guess we'll see

16. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Not always, probably has to do with what time the announcement happened. Halts happen more often on bad news as well.

Jrich likes this.
  17. Jrich

Jrich Well-Known Member

Thanks!

I havnt been through a buy out yet, its all new to me

So for future reference, IF i still had my WFM shares:mad:.... what would i do??

Do you just hold em and theyre automatically liquidated??

18. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

What Happens to a Company's Stock When a Buyout Is Announced?
    The closing
    Different things happen when the transaction closes, depending on how the transaction is being funded. The good news is that pretty much all of the hard work happens behind the scenes, and if you hold your shares through the transaction date, you probably won't have to do anything.

If the transaction is being paid in all cash, the shares should disappear from your account on the date of closing, and be replaced with cash. If the transaction is cash and stock, you'll see the cash and the new shares show up in your account. It's pretty much that simple. (Many brokers can also walk you through the process, so if you're looking for support, visit our broker center.)

Source: https://www.fool.com/knowledge-center/what-happens-to-a-companys-stock-when-a-buyout-is.aspx

Jrich likes this.
  19. Timbo

Timbo Active Member

Hopefully you come out ahead.. AMZN is said to be entering the pharmacy business also. RAD would be a great cantidate, will Amazon be the modern Berkshire Hathaway??? Stay tuned for another episode of Amazon takes over the World..

Jrich likes this.
  20. Timbo

Timbo Active Member

Trading again Jrich, She's on fire now son... Proud for you...

Jrich likes this.