Stock Market Today: June 18th - 22nd, 2018

Discussion in 'Stock Market Today' started by Stockaholic, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Stockaholic

Stockaholic Content Manager

whelp, things have quieted down quite dramatically since the feb. selloff

after that spike to 1% daily changes, we're now back down to +/-0.56% daily change, that is quite the drop off. my guess is that this will probably continue at least until the WC has concluded ... zzzz's :p

[​IMG]

stock1234 and OldFart like this.
  2. rStock

rStock Well-Known Member

Daytrading is you buy and sell same stock in same day, if you keep it overnight, that doesn’t count daytrading

OldFart likes this.
  3. AverageJoesTrades

AverageJoesTrades Well-Known Member

I get that, but why are they holding my money hostage if I hold overnight and then sell next day?

4. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Stockaholic and OldFart like this.
  5. stock1234

Yeah feeling like 2017 again lately :p Pretty amazing that the market is holding up so well despite those trade tension headlines :eek:

Stockaholic and OldFart like this.
  6. Stockaholic

7. bigbull

bigbull Active Member

What has me uneasy about today`s gap down is the low volume at the open. If higher prices are not repaired, any increase in supply will only prolong any breakout of the range, or worst, lead to another nasty mark.down that has the potential of threatening the move off the recent lows.

8. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

So are fears of an actual tradewar sinking in?

stock1234 likes this.
  9. OldFart

OldFart Well-Known Member

Last week, the markets pretty much ignored all the tariff talk back n forth and bought the dips.
    This week, they claim the tariff talk has dropped the markets.

I think it's just the rich guys manipulating the markets again and hitting stops.

10. bigbull

bigbull Active Member

I think the market will continue to discount the event day by day since it is a fluid situation with many unknowns, but I would caution not to read too much into it.

A trade war is a major concern not just for the balance of trade, but how countries end up steering economies into the future. There is no reason to downplay what's going on, but if you actually take an objective look on how a trade war would impact the stock market (alone), you'd come to find most of the stock market is actually insulated by the event. If it were the case you wouldn't see the IWM rally to new highs. In fact, I would correlate different `shock events` to stock market performance 1, 6, 12, 18, 24 and 36 months out and I am almost certain the correlation is low (ex panics were the banking system was called into question).

This does not mean the stock market cannot go down or tread water as fear of the unknown and volatility leads to imprudence, but people are treating this as a special event that has the potential of changing the course of events where other more pressing issues are already shaping current market structure. The stock market will always have îssues`to contend with. This is just another issue markets will have to learn to deal with. The press does a great job in giving each event the attention it deserves, and people gladfully accept it.

What I am trying to say, if anything, is that a trade war ends up affecting main street more so than central bank policy action or the stock market. We, the consumer, always end up paying for others mismanagement, imprudence, malevolence and/or greed. Its always been the case. Of course, there are companies that will have their businesses directly affected by this -- Campbell being one of them -- but to say this event is an agent that will change trends that have long been set in motion and have the ability to alter market structure is an incomplete way of viewing the matter. These change in policies offer an opportunity to favor and disfavor stocks, groups, sectors. More than anything, this event has the potential of changing the paradigm within the stock market but at no major cost to itself.

Lets just say other more pressing issues are the true engines of today`s stock market.

OldFart, T0rm3nted and stock1234 like this.
  11. stock1234

Still doesn’t look like a lot of fears in the market to me :p IWM barely down and the safe havens like Treausry and have a good day but nothing too extreme. Still look like a BTFD opportunity to me :p

OldFart and Stockaholic like this.
  12. Ken34

Ken34 2017 Stock Picking Contest Winner

another recovery of the market from the lows, now we are seeing positive 1000 numbers on the $TICK, some serious buying of the dips.

jazz, OldFart and stock1234 like this.
  13. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

SBUX news?
    edit: updated guidance of same-store sales +1%, prior +2.9%, is that it?

OldFart and stock1234 like this.
  14. stock1234

Yeah I guess it is why. 1% growth is really not that good, SBUX still isn’t that cheap of a stock despite underperforming when compare to the overall market

OldFart likes this.
  15. stock1234

16. Ken34

Jrich and OldFart like this.
  17. AverageJoesTrades

AverageJoesTrades Well-Known Member

added another /ES contract @ 2,764.50 - have the other from 2,800.00

18. Stockaholic

19. jazz

jazz New Member

any good stocks to pick up now?

20. Ken34

dang, xbi been killing it, wish i had bought more LABU when it had that small pullback to 99, i only got half a position on.

ntnx and amd hovering around support, might sell if they dont bounce this week.

stock1234 likes this.