Stock Market Today: June 27th - July 1st

Discussion in 'Stock Market Today' started by Stockaholic, Jun 24, 2016.

1. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Everything pointing to a bounce today:

upload_2016-6-28_2-44-41.png

upload_2016-6-28_2-45-6.png

2. surfsup

surfsup Active Member

They can do whatever they want, right?

Glad to see futures up 1% this AM I bought some longs toward the close and I hope to unload them for some quick scratch. This bounce won't last imo.

3. Tiptopptrader

Tiptopptrader Well-Known Member

4. MaximusAnalysis

MaximusAnalysis Active Member

#ES_F $ES_F #SPY levels to watch 2014.25 / / 2003 / / 1992

5. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Looks like we visit your 2014 level this morning pretty soon @MaximusAnalysis

6. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Early movers: DOW, XRX, PFE, VLKAY, GE

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/06/28/early-movers-dow-xrx-pfe-vlkay-ge-more.html

Dow Chemical — Dow is cutting about 2,500 jobs, or four percent of its global workforce, as part of its upcoming move to take full ownership of the Dow Corning joint venture. All that comes ahead of its planned merger with DuPont.

Xerox — The company appointed Carl Icahn lieutenant Jonathan Christodoro to its board prior to Xerox's planned split into two separate companies, according to The Wall Street Journal. Icahn is the largest Xerox shareholder with a 9.8 percent stake.

Cigna — Stifel Nicolaus began coverage on the insurance company with a "buy" rating, saying the stock is undervalued whether or not the pending acquisition of Cigna by Anthem goes through or not.

Volkswagen — The automaker has reached a $15 billion settlement with U.S. regulators over its diesel emissions scandal. Some $10.1 billion will go to diesel vehicle owners through buybacks, while the rest will go to funds dedicated to offset the negative effect of excess diesel emissions.

LendingClub — The online lender named acting Chief Executive Officer Scott Sanborn as permanent CEO. The company also announced it would cut 179 jobs and that it expected to see revenue and earnings growth resume in the first half of next year.

Pfizer — The drugmaker plans to invest $350 million in a new biotech center in China, which would be its first in Asia. The facility is expected to be completed by 2018.

Gannett — The newspaper publisher is buying digital marketing services company ReachLocal for $156 million in cash. The offer is worth $4.60 per share, compared to ReachLocal's Monday closing price of $1.66.

SolarCity — SolarCity formed a special committee consisting of two directors, and hired outside advisers to evaluate the takeover bid by automaker Tesla. Both companies are controlled by Elon Musk, and the panel was constructed to avoid involvement by anyone with potential conflicts of interest and significant involvement in both companies.

General Electric — GE struck three deals to sell most of its U.S. restaurant financing assets, as it continues to refocus on its industrial operations.

Teva Pharmaceutical — The drugmaker sold a portfolio of U.S. generic products to Australia's Mayne Pharma Group for $652 million. The deal is part of Teva's asset divestiture to win regulatory approval for its planned $40 billion buy of Allergan's generic drugs portfolio.

7. HelloIDistance

Nice bounce. I loaded up on AMD calls and bought some GoPro stock on this nice little fire sale.

Tiptopptrader likes this.
  8. internationalstocks

internationalstocks Active Member

Talk about a major short squeeze in play to take out them stop losses.

9. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Possibly some short covering, but this also looks more like a big bounce today rather than shorting.

I think if anything, shorts are going to look to take positions tomorrow or Thursday after this bounce is done!

10. Tiptopptrader

Big pop on those calls as AMD taking back some ground

upload_2016-6-28_6-57-36.png

11. Stockaholic

Stockaholic Content Manager

^^ this

and my own personal feeling is that we probably won't see much more of a swoon going into the long 4th of july weekend ... we'll see

or at least i hope the market doesn't take the next leg down until after the 4th since i will not be here ... please keep this market afloat until after the holiday! i would prefer a boring market for these next couple of days ... then when i'm back from vaca pull the rug from underneath this fabricated market! :D

StockJock-e likes this.
  12. Tiptopptrader

Nice rally but I feel investors are being cautious on whether this a relief rally or a Brexit bottom from yesterday

13. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

VIX back below 20

Almost everything getting a bounce.

14. Tiptopptrader

You called rally Gil, I think you should change your title to Stock Guru on your avatar ;)

15. surfsup

surfsup Active Member

Agreed. I'm looking at the 2050 - 2065 levels .

16. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Looking to the old market leaders like AAPL here.

Lots of stocks made their highs in the morning, if they cant take out morning highs, stay on guard!

AAPL iphone 7 hype train has begun, Im seeing some articles already calling it the next big cycle for the stock. Looks like a lot of these
    editors are long!

17. Tiptopptrader

Only rumor right now but the the Imac to be released with the Iphone 7 and the Imac to have the Polaris VR inside by AMD

18. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

So iMacs are VR ready?

That is very interesting!

I guess that is a pretty good selling feature, although VR is not really a big selling feature for most people.

This is still very 1st gen stuff that is extremely expensive for most people.

19. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Najarian saying LULU call options being bought up

20. Tiptopptrader

You are correct but if Apple is takes the plunge they sometimes set the trend and the cost I assume will be affected by the lower price chip. AMD has a good relationship with Apple through Raja Koduri as prior to joining AMD, Koduri served as director of graphics architecture at Apple Inc. where he helped establish a leadership graphics sub-system across the Mac product family