Stock Market Today: June 27th - July 1st

Discussion in 'Stock Market Today' started by Stockaholic, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Stockaholic

Stockaholic Content Manager

i can't find his post for some reason but i believe i remember reading @Rock Sexton looking for this move the other day if i'm not mistaken ... good one as usual rockster if you're out there reading this man!

2. Ken34

Ken34 2017 Stock Picking Contest Winner

this move is very interesting, this is the perfect opportunity for retailers to get top ticked, meaning people think the waters are clear which such a strong move upwards 3 days in a row, you go and buy only to have it sell off in your face.

but if we dont sell off and we really retake the levels before the vote then i dont even know what to say lol

3. Stockaholic

yea man totally ... i mean i said it yesterday and i'll say it again today but i will be damned if we recoup 100% of that BREXIT move ... and even retest the /ES ETH high up there at 2120ish i believe it was ... that will just blow my mind away if that were to happen ... then i will think i have seen it all lol!

4. Ken34

yea man im so tempted to short the markets right here, so so tempted, but even if my logic is telling me its a good spot to short, my emotions got me scared lol, such a huge move weve had man. i would feel some type of way if i shorted and this thing went back to 2100 lol.

Stockaholic likes this.
  5. Revan

Revan Member

2120 before the week is over, anything is possible in this market. It's almost like I need to start doing the exact opposite of my instinct.

Oh well, staying the course until the bulls can show me they have the strength to make new ATH after nearly 2 years, then it would be time to go back into hibernation.

Not much I am certain of these days, but one thing I feel fairly confident about is that when this thing finally does drop, it is going to drop hard (30%+).

Stockaholic likes this.
  6. Stockaholic

^^ this

i would agree with that notion as well :)

hmm ... 30%+ drop man now you got me all excited here haha!

7. Ken34

my god T stock is the best looking thing i have ever seen, so beautiful, i am proud to have been owning this baby since i started my portfolio last year july.

[​IMG]

T0rm3nted and Stockaholic like this.
  8. brucekeller

brucekeller Member

So apparently reverse repos have been 2-3x normal this week and tomorrow is set to be 5x normal. Be careful bears. I think I should just start trading based on the repo schedule in all honesty.

9. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Could you elaborate on that for those of us lurking that may not know what this means!

10. Rock Sexton

Rock Sexton Meat Popsicle

..... and where is the market today? Exactly.

Volatility is a word obsessed over by short-term traders, not long term market influencers ..... the latter do not give a shit.

Nothing is changing until cheap money around the world is removed from the system. Until then people can scream all they want at the top of their lungs that every pullback is "THE ONE!!!!", but it will keep getting bought up - because cheap money loves the high risk, high reward returns from equities.

Play the game until it ends.

#150 Rock Sexton, Jun 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
    OldFart likes this.
  11. surfsup

surfsup Active Member

NIce Ken! I've been watching but not playing. Awesome that someone here's been getting some of that. End of month on rotation and 401k deposits so the money funds might be making large buys on the dip. Next week will be interesting, perhaps some extra fireworks will be happening in the market. There's still an 80 pt difference in the yield move vs price of stocks last few days so I gotta go with the bond market being more saavy still. It's going to be an interesting close and Friday.

12. Revan

Revan Member

Completely agree about the cheap money driving everything. But, I also think cheap money has painted itself into a corner. If markets start to rise much it will trigger rate hikes, or at least speculation of hikes that will bring the market back down. If markets do down significantly, it will take rate hikes of the table, with possible rate cuts sending markets higher. This buffering mechanism just serves to keep markets in a range bound state which is evident over the last 2 years.

It's gonna go this way until something gives. Until then only way to make money is ride the volatility and buy the dip, sell the rip.

StockJock-e likes this.
  13. Steven_Burt

Steven_Burt 2019 Stockaholics Contest Winner

I played today all wrong in my l/t acct, I really thought the markets were in dead cat mode and I raised cash in my l/t portfolio (75% lol) eod yesterday. I'm not chasing here though won't even consider any longs unless we make new highs and then I'll only have a look (that's only 2% max from yesterdays highs). until then I'm sticking with the dead cat theory and I just timed it wrong. I'm up 12% in my l/t acct ytd and I'll take that for the whole year if needed. I did make my day in my trading acct though, go figure it was a short lol.

StockJock-e likes this.
  14. Ken34

oil keeps bouncing around between 45 and 50, i missed buying the last dip around 46, i will be sure to be alert if it hits those levels this time around.

15. Ken34

eh....i got in some SQQQ right at the close, that buying was crazy. i would beleive the rally more if gold and bonds pulled back, but they all stayed afloat as we have had this rally, lets see how this plays out.

StockJock-e likes this.
  16. MaximusAnalysis

MaximusAnalysis Active Member

Today's Market Thoughts

StockJock-e and Ken34 like this.
  17. Revan

Revan Member

Big divergence between the VIX and SKEW. Market is oddly complacent, but crash protection is in high demand from big investors.

18. brucekeller

brucekeller Member

Reverse repos are basically QE. They provide liquidity via short term loans. Here is a messy chart of the last month.

repos.png

OldFart and StockJock-e like this.
  19. Revan

Revan Member

Reverse Repo's from the FED provide a safe haven in times of uncertainty. This supports the same narative we are seing with bonds, gold, utilities, consumer staples, etc. Big investors are nervous about the possibility of something big happening and are positioning themselves for protection.

Reverse repo's are the opposite of QE. They take money out of the financial system. With QE the FED purchases bonds with money it creates digitally out of thin air. With a reverse repo the FED exchanges bonds for money with an agreement the bonds will be purchased back in the future with a fixed interest rate, currently a whopping .25%.

brucekeller likes this.
  20. brucekeller

brucekeller Member

You're right about that. I should have just stuck with liquidity lol, comparing it to QE was a bad idea in hindsight.