Stock Market Today: October 10th - 14th

Discussion in 'Stock Market Today' started by Stockaholic, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Stockaholic

Stockaholic Content Manager

2. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

Today is going quite well for me. Got out of a long last night and went short and got out of my short this morning and went long.

Pro Tip: Don't trade futures options after hours if you can help it. The spread is awful.

3. Stockaholic

nice @Baggi

btw, not sure how much if any market reaction we'll see but we do get the fed minutes @ 2pm eastern this afternoon

4. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

I'll be chewing on my sandwich as we find out.

5. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

Looks like we are just treading water until the release in a bit.

6. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Ham and cheese?

7. Tiptopptrader

Tiptopptrader Well-Known Member

It appears the markets like the Fed minutes

8. Tiptopptrader

or not

9. Stockaholic

Fed Minutes Expose Hawkish Fed Fearful Of Losing Credibility
    With three dissenters and no good reason (based on their own data) to stay on hold in September, The Fed chickened out... but jawboned the hawkish tilt afterwards. With Nov odds at 19% and Dec at 66%, the USD and Treasury yields were falling dovishly into the Minutes.
    • *FED: SEVERAL OFFICIALS SAID DECISION TO WAIT WAS ‘CLOSE CALL’
    • *FED SAYS SEVERAL FOMC MEMBERS SAW RATE RISE ‘RELATIVELY SOON’
    • *FED: IT WAS NOTED ‘REASONABLE ARGUMENT’ COULD BE MADE TO HIKE
    “Several participants expressed concern that continuing to delay an increase in the target range implied a further divergence from policy benchmarks based on the committee’s past behavior or risked eroding its credibility” especially because recent data supported the committee’s outlook, the minutes stated.

Stocks remain flat post-Fed but will the Minutes change the hawkish tilt to PMs...

[​IMG]

And while rate hike odds have soared for Dec, they have slumped for Nov no matter how much jawboning they have tried since.

[​IMG]
    Here are the key sections:

First, why no action - blame labor market slack, and lack of inflation (at least as measured by the BLS), in other words the Fed is failing on both mandates:

... participants discussed whether available information warranted taking another step to reduce policy accommodation at this meeting. Participants generally agreed that the case for increasing the target range for the federal funds rate had strengthened in recent months. Many of them, however, expressed the view that recent evidence suggested that some slack remained in the labor market. With inflation continuing to run below the Committee’s 2 percent objective and few signs of increased pressure on wages and prices, most of these participants thought it would be appropriate to await further evidence of continued progress toward the Committee’s statutory objectives.

However, others are increasingly calling the Fed out on its bullshit:

... several participants expressed concern that continuing to delay an increase in the target range implied a further divergence from policy benchmarks based on the Committee’s past behavior or riskede roding its credibility, especially given that recent economic data had largely corroborated the Committee’s economic outlook.

Even so, "several members" said to hike soon:

Several members judged that it would be appropriate to increase the target range for the federal funds rate relatively soon if economic developments unfolded about as the Committee expected; they saw the new sentence in the third paragraph of the Committees statement -- a sentence indicating that the case for an increase in the federal funds rate had strengthened but that the Committee had decided, for the time being, to wait for further evidence of continued progress toward its objectives -- as reflecting this view.

Why the dissenters dissented:

Three members preferred to raise the target range for the federal funds rate by 25 basis points at this meeting. They cautioned that postponing policy firming for too long could push the unemployment rate markedly below its longer-run normal rate over the next few years. If so, the Committee might then need to tighten policy more rapidly, thereby posing risks to continued economic expansion. A couple of these members expressed concern about the potential adverse effects on the credibility of the Committees policy communications if the next step in the gradual removal of accommodation was further postponed.

Ultimately, it was a close call:

Among the participants who supported awaiting further evidence of continued progress toward the Committees objectives, several stated that the decision at this meeting was a close call. Some participants believed that it would be appropriate to raise the target range for the federal funds rate relatively soon if the labor market continued to improve and economic activity strengthened, while some others preferred to wait for more convincing evidence that inflation was moving toward the Committees 2 percent objective. Some participants noted the importance of clearly communicating to the public the conditions that would warrant an increase in the policy rate.

#49 Stockaholic, Oct 12, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  10. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Looks like yields are moving lower after the Minutes.

11. MaximusAnalysis

MaximusAnalysis Active Member

Today's Market Thoughts

12. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

Ham, cheese, turkey, pepperoni, mayo, mustard and pickles.

And I bailed just before close for a small gain of around $75. Was up a few hundred before we started dropping. Looks to me like we are going to build another triangle here and then decide which way to break.

This election is causing a lot of indecision in the markets.

13. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

Futures aren't looking so hot right now. We are trading right at the trendline going back to February on the ES.

I will try and go long tonight if I find an opportunity to go in. Although i'd rather wait until regular trading and get less of a spread between options on the /es.

14. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

Went long and immediately got stopped out. Looks like this market wants to go lower.

15. Tiptopptrader

Things don't look good in Bedrock

upload_2016-10-12_19-56-46.png

16. Rock Sexton

Rock Sexton Meat Popsicle

Getting narrowly close to closing out all longs here.

SPX still needs to breakdown from 21119 but the price action coupled with the sell side volume after failing to make new highs is screaming a pricing in of a nearby rate hike.

MaximusAnalysis likes this.
  17. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

I'm still long Rock. My short term market theory is that we go up to flat until the election, then we take a dump after the election.

But, the trendline matters and we are just playing right along the trend line right now. Amazing.

Daily.jpg 15 Min.jpg

18. Rock Sexton

Rock Sexton Meat Popsicle

Hmmmm. Always hate the contrast between the SPX and /ES.

• Check out the reaction on the selloff in June. There was an immediate re-accumulation into the sell climax and a v-shaped reversal to new highs.
    • September rolls around and the POC (point of control) moved up to the new highs. Think about that for a moment - the most active volume by price for the entire year suddenly shifted in less than 2 months. That's a lot of activity going on in such a short amount of time.
    • A bounce is attempted, except this time it doesn't blow thru the POC ..... it pulls back and the SPX trend line is violated.
    • There's still some support left at the 2060-2075 area (former POC), but for me personally this is spelling some weakness that has me a bit leery.
    SPXbefore1.JPG SPXbefore2.JPG SPXbefore3.JPG
    SPXafter.JPG

Attached Files:

#58 Rock Sexton, Oct 13, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
    MaximusAnalysis and surfsup like this.
  19. Jim BooDog

Jim BooDog Active Member

Very good observation Rock. The next month or so, at least through the election will need to be watched very closely.

20. Stockaholic

Good morning Stockaholics!

Jim BooDog likes this.