Stock Market Today: October 3rd - 7th

Discussion in 'Stock Market Today' started by Stockaholic, Sep 30, 2016.

1. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

I believe OldFart lives there. Hope he is safe, that is a scary hurricane. Killed 108 in Haiti. In Florida they turned the freeway into a 1-way road which is extreme; I am recalling The Walking Dead first season where they showed the dead cars on the right side of the highway but the left side was empty. Maybe Florida learned from that :p

2. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

We are about to break out of this triangle pattern on the S&P.

Anyone have any ideas if it'll be to the upside or downside?

3. Ken34

Ken34 2017 Stock Picking Contest Winner

same, it happens for most of the links @Cy McCaffrey posts.

i live in southern georgia, schools are closed apparently. also alot of jobs cancelled work tommorow.

4. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

Finally some confirmation that we should be questioning the bulletproof-itude of sports in this on-demand age.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/ratings-fumble-for-nfl-surprises-networks-advertisers-1475764108
    Fact is we survive without football for 6 months a year already. We've found other ways to entertain ourselves. Football is ephemeral -- who won the last 2 Super Bowls? When I was a kid, I remembered all the winners that I had seen. After a while, football loses importance.

In the meantime, the fat cats that own the networks and got so fat off of past glories will ignore the future that is running them down.

Good ol' "instant" replay. I just laugh at the first down markers that they always trot out onto the field to measure when it's close to a first down; just use the damn yellow line/laser that they have on TV -- it's faster and more accurate than trusting 50 year old guys to run 20 yards in a straight line.

If you can't read the WSJ article, then just Google the article and click it from Google search. While you're doing that I'll be looking for a thesaurus.

5. Stockaholic

Stockaholic Content Manager

oh snap ... i had no idea you were in ga ... for some reason i always thought you were in green bay or something haha :p

6. Ken34

i wish i was right now, i hate all these hurricane/tornado scares they go through down south.

7. Stockaholic

well i hope we do finally break this range here ... it feels like we've at this 2160ish forever!

8. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

We will. It's been. 3 months that we've ended here in the 2160 range. Look at the last 3 monthly candles. All within 3 points.

So, we are going to break out one way or another. I need to find a solid 3 week play to make some good gains.

9. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

Here is my current working theory.

We have a lot of people holding their breath until the election. This makes me think we will float higher just on inertia. So, I'd like to buy some long futures in the markets to profit off of this.

At the same time, I'd like to hedge my bets by selling some premium. But I haven't figured out yet how to hedge a futures trade.

10. Stockaholic

forex markets very active tonight ... in particular cable ... anyone see what happened there?

it flash crashed down to 1.18 ... lowest print since 1985 :eek:

[​IMG]

11. Baggi

Baggi Active Member

Stockaholic likes this.
  12. Ken34

nice, my holdings kicking me in the ass first thing in the morning, beautiful.

opk down big because of 4k news
    acia down big because of the secondary pricing of $100

13. Stockaholic

Good morning Stockaholics!

10/7 Friday's Stock Movers & News: GPS, GWH, MT, DB, RBS, UTX, HON, YHOO, RL & more

[​IMG]

Frontrunning: October 7
    • Pound struggles to recover after plunging 6% in 2 minutes (FT)
    • Flash Crash of the Pound Baffles Traders With Algorithms Being Blamed (BBG)
    • Pound Plummets Against Dollar in Chaotic Trading (WSJ)
    • Two-Minute Mystery Pound Rout Puts Spotlight on Robot Trades (BBG)
    • U.S. nonfarm payroll job growth seen pushing case for Fed hikes (Reuters)
    • Qatar won't sell Deutsche Bank shares, might buy more (Reuters)
    • Commerzbank Disses Deutsche Bank in Blitz to Lure German Clients (BBG)
    • Snapchat Parent Working on IPO Valuing Firm at $25 Billion or More (WSJ)
    • IMF, global finance leaders fret over populist backlash (Reuters)
    • Foreigners in London ‘Horrified’ by May’s Immigration Vision (BBG)
    • Wal-Mart Expects Profit Pressures, Fewer New Stores (WSJ)
    • Hurricane Matthew batters Florida as Haiti death toll rises (Reuters)
    • Russia Becomes a Grain Superpower as Wheat Exports Explode (BBG)
    • Honeywell Cuts Sales Projections (WSJ)
    • Deutsche Bank eyes asset management unit IPO (FT)
    • Assad offers rebels amnesty if they surrender Aleppo (Reuters)
    • Special Report: In Duterte's war on drugs, local residents help draw up hit lists (Reuters)
    • Nobel Peace Prize awarded to Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos (CNN)
    • Republican Trump says 70 percent of federal regulations 'can go' (Reuters)
    • Lynn Tilton Just Can’t Stop Suing the SEC (BBG)
    • Hollande demands tough Brexit negotiations (FT)

STOCK FUTURES NOW:
    [​IMG]

YESTERDAY'S MARKET MAP:

[​IMG]

TODAY'S ECONOMIC CALENDAR:
    [​IMG]

MOST ACTIVE TRENDING PRE-MARKET DISCUSSIONS (SYMBOLS ARE CLICKABLE!):

TODAY'S EARNINGS CALENDAR:
    [​IMG]

THIS MORNING'S PRE-MARKET NEWS MOVERS:

source: cnbc.com

[​IMG]

• Gap — The apparel retailer reported a three percent drop in comparable-store sales for September. That was slightly larger than the 2.9 percent Thomson Reuters consensus estimate. Comparable sales were down 10 percent at the namesake Gap brand and nine percent at Banana Republic, but were higher by four percent at Old Navy. Gap's sales were negatively impacted by an August fire at its Fishkill, N.Y., distribution center.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Camping World — Camping World will debut on the New York Stock Exchange Friday after pricing its initial public offering at $22 per share, in the middle of the expected range of $21 to $23 per share. The recreational vehicle dealer raised $251 million in the offering, and counts CNBC's "The Profit" host Marcus Lemonis as a co-owner.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • ArcelorMittal — Shares in the steelmaker are getting a boost on news that the European Union set new import duties on some grades of Chinese steel.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Volkswagen — The automaker is not considering a sale of any of its brands or raising new capital to deal with its emissions scandal costs. That's according to board chairman Hans Dieter Poetsch, who made those comments in an interview with a German newspaper.
    [​IMG]
    • Deutsche Bank — Deutsche Bank is on watch today after hedge funds Marshall Wace and Discovery Capital cut their short positions in what's being seen as a display of confidence in the German lender.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • CIT Group — CIT Group sold its aircraft leading business to a unit of China's HNA Group for $10 billion. CIT had been exploring a sale or spinoff of that unit for about a year.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • United Technologies — The industrial conglomerate will cut its pension liabilities by a total of about $1.77 billion this year, as it transfers management of its plans to a third party and offer lump sum buyouts to about 10 thousand retirees.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Honeywell — Honeywell cut its sales and profit outlook, pointing to an overall business slowdown as well as some delays.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Yahoo — Yahoo is resisting calls by buyer Verizon to cut $1 billion off the previously announced purchase price of $4.8 billion, according to theNew York Post. That comes after the revelation that an estimated 500 million Yahoo accounts had been hacked in 2014, with Verizon saying it had been informed of the breach but not of the extent.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Tyson Foods — The beef and poultry producer was cut to "sell" from "buy" at Pivotal Research, which also cut its price target to $40 from $100. Pivotal's significant shift in its position is based on a class action suit filed against Tyson, alleging that it colluded with other players in the industry to cut production of broiler chickens since 2008.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Ralph Lauren —The apparel maker was added to the "Conviction Buy" list at Goldman Sachs, which notes the one-year anniversary of CEO Stefan Larsson's appointment and his implementation of what Goldman calls elements for a successful turnaround plan.
    [​IMG]

Good trading day to everyone in here on this Friday! :)

14. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Down a bit pre-market

upload_2016-10-7_8-23-57.png

15. Stockaholic

16. Rock Sexton

Rock Sexton Meat Popsicle

I can only speak for myself here, but I am getting really sick and tired of Fed officials speaking in public about monetary policy.

These people aren't even elected and we've got money sloshing back and forth based on interpretation of verbage.

#96 Rock Sexton, Oct 7, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  17. Stockaholic

ya ditto that @Rock Sexton, i think most of us here feel the same way ... it really never ceases to amaze me ... same *bleep* different day with these guys :rolleyes:

18. Tiptopptrader

Tiptopptrader Well-Known Member

When former Dallas Fed President Richard Fisher speaks it is almost as bad when Yellen sits on the rates. So political

19. MaximusAnalysis

MaximusAnalysis Active Member

20. MaximusAnalysis

MaximusAnalysis Active Member

If it gets under this 2139.50 AND CLOSES under this area I will perk up a little