Stock Market Today: September 23rd - 27th, 2019

Discussion in 'Stock Market Today' started by Stockaholic, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Stockaholic

Stockaholic Content Manager

2. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Energy stocks continue to get slammed :eek: Almost seems like those 10% gain from the drone attack has never happened :p

Stockaholic and OldFart like this.
  3. Stockaholic

Sentiment Stagnant While Stocks Have Surged
    Thu, Sep 26, 2019

If you pay attention to the stock market, at some point over the last 5 to 10 years, you've likely heard the line that "this is the most unloved bull market in history." The chart below provides a solid portrayal of that statement as it shows the rolling 52-week average of the weekly AAII Bullish Sentiment reading. This survey is conducted by the American Association of Individual Investors and is meant to gauge individual investor sentiment levels towards the US stock market. During the 1990s, this reading generally trended upwards, but it has actually now trended downward for the last 15 years as a series of lower highs have been made. These lower highs have come as the S&P 500 has consistently made new all-time highs in recent years and doubled the level it was at back in early 2000.

As you can see in the chart, the first 50% decline that the S&P experienced when the Dot Com bubble burst didn't cause individual investors to completely throw in the towel. While the 52-week moving average of bullish sentiment fell along with the S&P 500 during the bear market from 2000-2002, it spiked to record highs in the early stages of the 2003-2007 bull market. It wasn't until the second 50% decline for stocks in less than 10 years that individual investors started to totally turn their backs on stocks. Since the Financial Crisis from 2007-2009, the 52-week moving average of bullish sentiment hasn't come close to reaching levels routinely seen in the mid to late 2000s. Instead, it has faded and faded as the S&P has marched higher and higher.

The previously mentioned two 50%+ drops for stocks in less than ten years has certainly caused permanent scars for an entire generation of investors. Demographics are probably another factor for the long-term downtrend in AAII Bullish Sentiment. Older investors tend to be more cautious, and we have to assume that the age cohort of the respondents to the weekly AAII survey has increased over time. Want more research from Bespoke?

[​IMG]

T0rm3nted, OldFart and stock1234 like this.
  4. stock1234

A pretty interesting chart, a pretty big gap between the sentiment and stock prices right now :eek:

T0rm3nted, OldFart and Stockaholic like this.
  5. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

Interactive Brokers will become IBKR Pro; new, free-trades IBKR Lite coming in October.
    https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190926005753/en/Interactive-Brokers-Launch-IBKR-Lite

• Zero commissions on US exchange-listed stocks and ETFs (non-US stocks, options, futures and fixed income at the lowest commissions)
    • No account minimums
    • No inactivity fees
    • Free market data for US exchange-traded stocks
    Like many other brokers, Interactive Brokers will route the orders of IBKR Lite clients to market makers in exchange for receiving payment for order flow. Clients that opt to use IBKR Pro will continue to receive the best prices our sophisticated algorithms can secure for them.

I'm hearing that current IBKR users can switch between Pro and Lite by the click of a button, up to 3 times, and then once per quarter.

OldFart and stock1234 like this.
  6. stock1234

Nice :D

OldFart likes this.
  7. OldFart

OldFart Well-Known Member

T0rm3nted and Stockaholic like this.
  8. Stockaholic

9. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Waiting for a big market pullback, because I'm sitting on 100% cash right now :(

10. OldFart

OldFart Well-Known Member

all your stops got hit?... :eek:

11. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Ill call up JP Morgan and tell them to start selling now!

stock1234 and OldFart like this.
  12. Frankenstein

Frankenstein Well-Known Member

On Tuesday, I had entered long at 2965 and exited on Wednesday at 2983 to profit take. I didn't care for the price action. Today, the price collapse to 2962 and I re-entered long at 2965.

13. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Nah, I sold manually. I expected a bigger blowback on the certain Trump impeachment inquiries. And with those, deranged Trump tweets that will send the market one way or another. Seemed like a high risk, low reward situation.

Bodacious likes this.
  14. stock1234

White House deliberates block on all US investments in China

• The discussion is in its preliminary stages and nothing has been decided, CNBC’s source says.
    • There’s also no time frame for their implementation, the source adds.
    • Restricting investments in Chinese entities would be meant to protect U.S. investors from excessive risk due to lack of regulatory supervision, the source says.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/27/white-house-deliberates-block-on-all-us-investments-in-china.html

Just woke up, looks like this news sent the market lower although we are now off the lows of the day :eek:

15. Stockaholic

this is a frequently used meme that members use on the discord server, i just felt like sharing it in here for those of you who don't even use the live chat ... seems appropriate whenever we get any headlines that involves china :p

[​IMG]

i'm not entirely sure who it was in here (@stock1234 maybe?) that thinks this will just be a never ending cycle that takes up into next year's election? :p

anyway, i hope everyone had a decent trading week this week, and if i didn't get a chance to say it later, i hope everyone has a great weekend ahead!

i cannot believe next monday we close the books on Q3 :eek:

is it just me or does it feel like time is speeding up for anyone? it does for me. it's crazy for me to think that we're just 3 months from closing the year out...

OldFart and stock1234 like this.
  16. stock1234

Yeah I believe no trade deal will happen if Trump sticks to his words that he won’t accept any bad deal. I think we are trying to put pressure on China by saying we might block all US investments in China and delist their stocks trading here, we will see but I still doubt China will cave especially with the impeachment thing going on now :p

I can’t believe Year 2019 is coming to an end soon :eek:

Stockaholic likes this.
  17. stock1234

Chinese stocks getting slammed, BABA down over 5% and many down 6 or 7% :eek: