Stock Market Today: September 24th - 28th, 2018

Discussion in 'Stock Market Today' started by Stockaholic, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Stockaholic

Stockaholic Content Manager

Whelp, today is the final trading day of September and Q3. Hope everyone had a pretty good trading month and quarter.

What were some of your winners for the month and quarter?

2. Stockaholic

i want to make sure i get this up before today's close unlike last friday. :p

here is a quick peak at next week's earnings calendar-
    [​IMG]

looking forward to the next round of earnings season which will be getting underway in just a couple of weeks from now.

i wanted to also quickly take this opportunity to thank everyone who contributes their time and efforts to these thread and around the forums each and every day/week. honestly can't say this enough, but it is greatly appreciated!

i'm amazed that we're already closing out Q3 today. this year has gone by waaaay too fast. :eek:

anyway, i hope everyone had a good trading month/quarter and year up to this point...and looking forward to the final 3 months of the year.

i'm not sure if i'll have the new weekly thread up tonight, but if not tonight then tomorrow morning.

have a great weekend everyone! :cool:

stock1234 likes this.
  3. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Just looking at my portfolio, it was a pretty nice quarter for me. Stocks like DIS, CRM, and MA up over 10% for me for Q3, doesn’t mean I made some amazing picks though since the market overall had a great quarter :p Got in and out pretty often for AMD earlier this quarter, but would have been much better if I just held lol :p Also dumped the bank stocks from my portfolio for profit taking, turned out to be a pretty good move since they haven’t done that well lately. Energy doing well lately but I have no exposure

4. stock1234

FB Down 3%, pulling down the market a little bit here

5. Stockaholic

some noteworthy stats i came across this afternoon as we're just about half hour away from closing out the month and quarter here.
    • 1.) did you know that over the past 20 yrs, no month has been stronger for the spx than the month of october.
    [​IMG]
    • 2.) in addition, since 1950 no month has been stronger for the spx during a midterm year than cctober.
    [​IMG]

interestingly, when the spx has gained greater than 7% in the usually weaker Q3 period (like it has this year) the final quarter of the year has been higher 13 of 14 times with an avg. return of almost +6%

finally, and not surprisingly, it is pretty rare to have a 6-month spx winning streak heading into the month of oct. but interestingly since 1928 when this occurrence has happened, october was up 4 of the past 5 times. most recently in 2017.

6. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

CNC...was kinda surprised by that one because the ER guidance was going all over the place (they guided up in February, then down in April)...sold it this quarter but may get back in (to MOH or something) because health care spending is kind of like military spending, seems like it can only go up.

ROKU...bought that one on a whim and it worked out beautifully. Now to figure out what I was doing when I picked that lol. I just know they get a detailed ER write up on Seeking Alpha every quarter, so they are a stock of note. And of course the rumours were that they were becoming more than just a hardware company.

FTNT...in spite of my best efforts to sabotage myself by getting 1/2 shaken out before the ER. Trying to figure out how a few of these stocks just go straight up. Like MASI in 2016 and again recently. Sold this one because the ETF HACK looks like it's cooling off, right as October is coming around. Going to try to get back in either FTNT/QLYS/CYBR/PANW.

short WTW was a small winner...just had to play ER and I was right. Unfortunately only had a small position due to risk, and unfortunately closed it too early. It looks like it's found it's bottom now though.

Stockaholic likes this.
  7. anotherdevilsadvocate

What?? I swear that is supposed to be the weakest month (will have to search if that is on a different range than 20 years). Don't they say every crash has happened in October too?

8. Stockaholic

yeah that was my thinking too marcy, i was surprised by that stat since october has been quite notorious for large market corrections for as long as i've known, but apparently its also known for its quick snap back reversals off correction lows...in other words while oct. has historically been a volatile month, it typically has also been a month where market corrections have ended in the past (or at least in the past 20 yrs from what this stat is telling us), hence why i guess november starts off what is historically known as "the best 6 months of the year".

anotherdevilsadvocate likes this.
  9. anotherdevilsadvocate

So their calculations use a buy at the beginning of every day that is closed at end of month? I assumed everyone was calculating by using a buy at the beginning of the month and closed at end of month, but I guess it doesn't have to be that way.

Stockaholic likes this.
  10. stock1234

Looking forward to Q4, with midterm in November it could be more interesting than usual :D With just 3 months left though, it is pretty unlikely that we will see the end of this bull market this year :p