The Encyclopedia Of Stock Chart Terms

Discussion in 'Investing' started by roadtonowhere08, Feb 19, 2021.

1. roadtonowhere08

roadtonowhere08 Well-Known Member

Full disclosure: I do not rely on chart analysis for market plans or moves in the slightest.

Having said that, I have been around enough now to come across some rather interesting and amusing terms people use when describing trends or moves on stock charts.

I figure we can have a nice collection of these terms, what they look like, and what they mean so that when they are used, I (and maybe others) have a clue as to what the heck they mean without having to Google it and look at other sites :lauging:

This thread is 100% inspired with rg7803's "Abandoned Baby" reference in the PLTR thread. Perhaps he would like to start this thread off so I can be that much less ignorant? :D

2. emmett kelly

emmett kelly Well-Known Member

c'mon, professor, you been hanging out with @WXYZ too much. studying charts is a must. rg lives in portugual and is probably experiencing some deep rem sleep right about now, so i'll answer for him.

What is a Bullish Abandoned Baby?
    The bullish abandoned baby is a type of candlestick pattern that is used by traders to signal a reversal of a downtrend. It forms in a downtrend and is composed of three price bars. The first is a large down candle, followed by a doji candle that gaps below the first candle. The next candle opens higher than the doji and moves aggressively to the upside.

3. emmett kelly

this is the one i use the most.

What Is A Cup And Handle?
    A cup and handle price pattern on a security's price chart is a technical indicator that resembles a cup with a handle, where the cup is in the shape of a "u" and the handle has a slight downward drift. The cup and handle is considered a bullish signal, with the right-hand side of the pattern typically experiencing lower trading volume. The pattern's formation may be as short as seven weeks or as long as 65 weeks.

Syynik, Rustic1 and T0rm3nted like this.
  4. roadtonowhere08

roadtonowhere08 Well-Known Member

I think I might scare him off with my music taste. That and his approach is really helping people from crapping themselves right now with the market turbulence. I get to sit back and enjoy the cups, abandoned babies, and double boobies without a care:biggrin:

Syynik and Rustic1 like this.
  5. Rustic1

Rustic1 Well-Known Member

One of my daily reads. Green days> jump up and down like a cheerleader, wood hooo.
    Red days> whine like a little girl and blame the media, robinhood and the traders instead of the trend.

Have to keep your followers reassured that its the media,robinhood and the traders fault, not the trend and the sectors rotating. Not having cash is the only way to fly.
    I mentioned the yield curve last week and was made fun of. And now that the market has reacted, its the fault of the media, robinhood and the traders.

Charts tell a story and are used by the masses. I never paid much attention and felt a bunch of graphs and squiggly lines were silly and pointless.

I found out otherwise, the chartist are the ones that outperform me on a daily basis.

Syynik likes this.
  6. emmett kelly

i use this one to save a little bit of my ass after taking a hit.

What Is a Dead Cat Bounce?
    A dead cat bounce is a temporary, short-lived recovery of asset prices from a prolonged decline or a bear market that is followed by the continuation of the downtrend. Frequently, downtrends are interrupted by brief periods of recovery—or small rallies—during which prices temporarily rise.

The name "dead cat bounce" is based on the notion that even a dead cat will bounce if it falls far enough and fast enough. It is an example of a sucker's rally.

Syynik, Onepoint272 and Rustic1 like this.
  7. Onepoint272

Onepoint272 2019 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Brings back fond memories of the 2000-2003 bear market. I remember a guy who went by the handle "Pile Driver" who specialized in shorting dead cat bounces. In those days there was a whole upside-down subculture vocabulary for those of us trading the bear market which I won't fully go into other than to say that instead of short squeezes there were long squeezes and going long a stock was donging a stock. Now that we're in the longest bull market in history, I wonder if they'll ever allow a bear market again. In 1999 they didn't think a bear market could ever happen again either.:suspicious:

#7 Onepoint272, Feb 27, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    emmett kelly, Syynik and Rustic1 like this.