The Hurricane Thread

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Stockaholic, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Stockaholic

Stockaholic Content Manager

one thing i forgot to mention (which is a bit encouraging) is that this storm (unlike florence) is really motoring pretty quickly.

impacts of this storm will be felt as soon as thursday for our area, and outta here by friday.

but looks like landfall (somewhere along the fl. panhandle) could come by as soon as tomorrow.

it's looking like this will be mostly a wind event, unlike florence which was largely a water event.

anyway, will try to keep posting updates in here as they become available over the course of the coming days ahead.

2. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Stay safe everyone. Yeah I guess the good news is that it will be moving quickly, water event most of the time is more damaging than wind event

3. Stockaholic

Hurricane Michael becomes 'extremely dangerous' Category 4 as Florida braces for monster storm
    • Hurricane Michael strengthened into a Category 4 storm early on Wednesday.
    • The storm is expected to plow into Florida's Gulf shore with towering waves and roof-shredding winds as 500,000 people were under evacuation orders and advisories.
    • Hurricane Michael was packing winds of up to 130 miles per hour (210 km per hour), hours before it was set to make landfall on Florida's Panhandle or Florida's Big Bend.
    • Michael could potentially could unleash devastating waves as high as 13 feet (4 meters), the National Hurricane Center warned.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/10/hur...-to-extremely-dangerous-category-4-storm.html

4. Stockaholic

oh man, sustained winds now at 150mph (just barely missing cat 5 status :eek:) i can't post the animated satellite imagery in here but the eye is about to make landfall any hour now near panama city, fla., and boy is it a dandy. haven't seen such a well defined eye making landfall along the u.s. coast since maybe hurricanes katrina :eek:

5. Stockaholic

so this is the first cat 4 to ever hit the panhandle of florida, and the first cat 4 to make landfall in the u.s. in the month of october since the 1950s...wow.

6. Stockaholic

geez, we might as well call this a cat 5 ... i just checked out the "official" wind measurements for each category, and a cat 5 is at 156mph sustained :rolleyes:

stay safe to anyone in the path of this storm, this is 100% going to be a destructive wind event not a water event...it is moving quickly which is encouraging, but its going to do a lot of damage before all is said and done unfortunately :(

7. Stockaholic

looks like we have an official landfall around mexico beach, fla. with the latest 1:30pm eastern advisory bumping up the winds to 155mph sustained ... just missing cat 5 by 1mph

8. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Wow stay safe everyone, this is one powerful hurricane :(

9. Stockaholic

@OldFart if you are lurking out there, what do we call a cat 4 landfall? hurricane party with chicken wings + weed?

T0rm3nted likes this.
  10. DeCoty

DeCoty Member

Stay safe everyone.

11. Stockaholic

good lord, so glad to have my power back on tonight...honestly thought that was gonna last through the night into tomorrow morning.

this storm totally took me off guard. i did not think this was going to be anywhere near the level on intensity as "florence" was, but boy was i wrong.

thankfully it was only just a lengthy ass power outage for us today. no down trees or nothing like in florence.

my neighbors however were not so fortunate.

glad to have the storm out of here...but a big clean up ahead. :confused:

12. Stockaholic

sorry for the 2 year old thread bump here, but i just wanted to get an update from @stock1234 as i heard about the hurricane headed toward the big island i believe? hopefully that wasn't directly in your path and it was only just a little rain event and a little wind. keep us posted!

13. Vdubman

Vdubman Well-Known Member

Yea I remember someone was from there but forgot exactly who. Stay safe out there!

14. Stockaholic

gotta hand it to @stock1234, this guy not only has his power knocked out for several days, but he uses what little batter power he has left on his phone to still log in here, and even play on the stock competitions. amazing.

hope things come back online for you soon @stock1234 really missing you big time on here.