The Long Term Investor

Discussion in 'Investing' started by WXYZ, Oct 2, 2018.

1. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

I have been watching the markets since the open.....but have been busy with my AC install guys. They are here to replace the evaporator unit in my attic equipment. When that unit went down about a week ago we lost all AC in half our house. Of course.....as usual.....the timing was perfect to match up with the hottest temperatures of the year.

Speaking of HOT....I cant say the markets have been particularly hot today. NVDA is experiencing earnings jitters right now and is in the red. The SP500 and NASDAQ are also in the red and not showing a lot of confidence today.

At least it is very early in the day and there is plenty of time for things to shake out and move forward. BUT.....I would not be surprised to see today and tomorrow ending negative. I would also not be surprised to see the markets and the financial media MICRO-NIT-PICK something in the NVDA earnings and fear monger the stock down after the report.

I think that would be TOTALLY RIDICULOUS.......but....it would trigger the AI SPEED TRADERS to jump on the headlines and news and drive the stock down for a day or two.....post-earnings. I dont care what happens....there is no way I would sell this stock.

2. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

I like this little article.

11 Charts Showing Why You Should Invest Today
    Why start investing now? Because the stock market rewards the faithful.

https://money.usnews.com/investing/articles/charts-showing-why-you-should-invest-today

(BOLD is my opinion OR what I consider important content)

"The stock market can be a powerful ally but also a destructive foe. When it feels as fickle with its affections, many people wonder: Why is investing important?

The answer, quite simply, is that without growth in your assets from investment, retirement may become a dream rather than a reality.

The following charts show why investing today is the key to retiring on your own terms. Each assumes a 7% annual rate of return based on the long-term average stock market return of 9% less average inflation of 2%.

The power of investing is to turn seemingly insignificant amounts into massive sums of money, given a long enough time.

Take, for instance, a daily $5 latte from Starbucks Corp. (ticker: SBUX). If you were to skip the latte and instead invest that $5 a day in the stock market, your coffee fund could grow to almost $11,000 in five years. Keep investing $5 a day for 50 years, and you could have more than $800,000 – just by making coffee at home.

[​IMG]

Investing $15 a Day Is the Easiest Way to Become a Millionaire

What if you took your home chef skills one step further and started brown bagging lunch?

An investor who put $15 a day into the stock market could grow their portfolio to more than $1.2 million in 40 years
    . If they kept investing $15 a day for 50 years, they could amass almost $2.5 million. It makes you realize how early frugality in life can really set yourself up for comfort in your later years.

[​IMG]
    Why Investing Early Is the Key to Financial Success

The stock market is kindest to those who stay faithful to it longest. To see this in action, consider investors Jack, Jill and Joey.

Jack starts investing $200 per month when he's 25. By age 65, his portfolio is worth more than $520,000.

Jill doesn't start investing until age 35. She also contributes $200 per month, but by 65, her portfolio is only worth about $245,000. By waiting 10 years to start, she ends up with less than half of what Jack accumulates.

Joey, the late bloomer, starts investing $200 per month when he's 45, and after 20 years he has only $100,000.

[​IMG]
    Jack invests $200 per month starting at age 25, contributing $96,000 total. Jill invests $200 per month starting at age 35, contributing $72,000 total. Joey invests $200 per month starting at age 45, contributing $48,000 total.

Jack invests $200 per month starting at age 25, contributing $96,000 total over 40 years. Jill invests $200 per month starting at age 35, contributing $72,000 total over 30 years. Joey invests $200 per month starting at age 45, contributing $48,000 total over 20 years.

When You Start Investing Matters More Than How Much You Invest

Time invested is so important that Jack can even stop adding to his investments and still have more than Jill at age 65.

If Jack were to contribute $200 per month from age 25 to 35 – contributing only $24,000 over 10 years – his investments would be worth almost $300,000 at age 65.

Jill continually invests $200 per month between ages 35 and 65 but still ends up with only $245,000 at 65. Even though she contributes three times as much as Jack over her lifetime ($72,000), because she missed those first 10 years of investing, Jack amasses more.

[​IMG]
    Jack invests $200 per month between the ages of 25 and 35. He contributes $24,000 total. Jill invests $200 per month between the ages of 35 and 65. She contributes $72,000 total.

Jack invests $200 per month between the ages of 25 and 35. He contributes $24,000 total. Jill invests $200 per month between the ages of 35 and 65. She contributes $72,000 total.

When Your Investments Earn More Money Than You Contribute

Jack is able to stop contributing at 35 but still accumulate more than Jill thanks to the power of compounding.

At first, Jack's $200 monthly contributions don't earn much interest: $14 in the first year and $30 in the second year. But by his 10th year of investing, his money is earning more than he puts in. In year 11, Jack contributes only $200 but earns $231 monthly.

And it's only up from there: Over time, his earnings will exponentially exceed his contributions.

[​IMG]

After 10 years of investing $200 per month at a 7% return, your investments earn more in interest than you contribute each year.

The Secret to Financial Freedom Is Investing Over Time

Jack's earnings will grow so large, they'll exceed all of his contributions combined. After 20 years of investing, Jack contributed $48,000 total. That same year, his $48,000 earned over $56,000. By year 25, his earnings ($103,000) are over 70% larger than his total contributions ($60,000).

This is why time is so important in investing: Given enough time, your earnings can compound to take on a life of their own. Even better is they can become self-sustainable. When your money is earning enough money that you no longer need to work, you've achieved financial independence.

[​IMG]
    I May Be Small, But I Earn Mightily

When you start investing, it can feel like your efforts are all for naught. After five years of investing $200 per month at a 7% return, you'd have put in $12,000 and only earned $2,400. But over time, those earnings compound until the amount you contribute looks paltry in comparison to your returns.

If you keep investing that $200 every month until age 70, for instance, you'll have contributed $120,000 but could amass nearly $976,000 in earnings for a total portfolio of $1.1 million.

[​IMG]

Invest More, Grow More

While $200 per month is a fine starting point, financial experts advocate saving at least 15% of your salary for retirement.

If you invest $200 per month starting at age 20, you could have about $760,000 by age 65. But if you invest $500 per month for 45 years, your portfolio could be nearly $2 million. Maximize your 401(k) contribution each year – which is $23,000 in 2024 – by investing $1,916 per month, and you could potentially retire with at least $7.3 million.

[​IMG]

The Benefit of Increasing Your Contributions

You don't have to start investing $1,916 a month right away. It's OK to start small, as long as you start. You can always increase your contributions later.

Say you start with $200 a month. If you maintained those contributions for 40 years, you could accumulate about $500,000. But if you were able to increase your contributions by 5% each year, your portfolio could grow to more than $1 million in that same timeframe.

Just imagine how much you could accumulate starting with $200 per month and increasing your contributions by 10% each year? (Hint: It's more than $2.6 million in 40 years.)

[​IMG]

Keep Calm and Invest On – Especially in a Recession

The previous charts show how important it is to start investing as soon as you can and to keep investing as much as you can. But sometimes emotions can get in the way. It's easy to let downturns and recessions fears scare you out of the market. Yet in reality, these are the best times to invest.

When stock prices decline, you get to buy on sale. And who doesn't love a good sale? So rather than fleeing from falling prices, run gleefully toward these buying opportunities.

To illustrate this, consider the following chart. It shows what would happen to your long-term portfolio value if you invested $1,000 per year during three scenarios: A fixed share price, a share price that increases during a market boom and a share price that falls during a recession.

During the dip, your $1,000 investment buys you more shares. As a result, by your 10th year of investing, your portfolio could be worth nearly $2,000 more than if you'd invested in a flat market and nearly $3,000 more than if you'd invested during a market boom.

[​IMG]

Don't Wait, Chuck It All In

A common approach to investing is to use a dollar-cost averaging strategy. This involves investing a fixed sum at regular intervals. It's the strategy used in all the examples above, and it can be very effective. But it turns out that if you have to choose between the dollar-cost averaging approach and throwing everything you've got into the market at once, you're better off chucking it all in.

Vanguard compared the long-term returns of dollar-cost averaging and lump-sum investing over rolling 10-year periods from 1926 through 2011. The results: Lump-sum investing outperformed over two-thirds of the time.

[​IMG]

The moral of the story: Invest as much as you can, as soon as you can, for as long as you can."

MY COMMENT

The above pretty much says it all. I guess I could have avoided the last 1000+ pages of posts and just put up this one article.

Investing is a lifetime of learning. It is also a lifetime process. Much of that process is emotional and psychological. Much of that learning is the process of letting go of your negative brain behavior and letting go of the fear that keeps you from being in the markets.

it is also a process of UN-LEARNING all the BS that we constantly hear about how to invest....before we become experienced investors.

Investing itself can be very simple. Simply discipline for the long term.....but....actually bringing yourself to do it.....very difficult and complex in terms of emotion, and psychology,

Smokie and TireSmoke like this.
  3. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

#21223 WXYZ, Aug 26, 2024
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2024
  4. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

As to the other......"supposed".....driver of the markets and especially big cap tech......the Ten Year Treasury is down to 3.791% at this moment.

My view as stated many times......the constant talk about the impact of interest rates on big cap tech......is total BS. Of course these companies......like all companies.....like low rates for their customers and for themselves and they will take advantage of them any time they can.

BUT....these companies have a license to mint money in any environment. They have the ability to totally fund themselves with no leverage or borrowing or credit. They all have a HUGE CASH MOAT. They also....like any big cap successful company.....know very well how to hedge rates and manage the finances of their business.

#21224 WXYZ, Aug 26, 2024
  5. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

The big topic for NVDA earnings.....which is simply an irrelevant side-show....is Blackwell. NVDA so far has REFUSED to say or confirm the rumors about a 1-3 month delay in the new Blackwell chip.

You have got to be kidding me......Blackwell being delayed for 1-3 months in the scheme of things is a JOKE. THERE IS NO CONFIRMATION THAT THIS IS TRUE....but....if it is....it is meaningless to NVDA and their success.

HERE is a little article that touches on the topic somewhat.

NVIDIA shows off Blackwell instilations in progress-- AI and data center roadmap has Blackwell Ultra coming next year with Vera CPUs and Rubin GPUs in 2026

Nvidia also emphasized that it sees Blackwell and Rubin as platforms and not just GPUs.

https://www.tomshardware.com/tech-i...xt-year-with-vera-cpus-and-rubin-gpus-in-2026

"Prior to the start of the Hot Chips 2024 tradeshow, Nvidia showed off more elements of its Blackwell platform, including servers being installed and configured. It's a less than subtle way of saying that Blackwell is still coming — never mind the delays. It also talked about its existing Hopper H200 solutions, showed FP4 LLM optimizations using its new Quasar Quantization System, discussed warm water liquid cooling for data centers, and talked about using AI to help build even better chips for AI. It reiterated that Blackwell is more than just a GPU, it's an entire platform and ecosystem.

Much of what will be presented by Nvidia at Hot Chips 2024 is already known, like the data center and AI roadmap showing Blackwell Ultra coming next year, with Vera CPUs and Rubin GPUs in 2026, followed by Vera Ultra in 2027. Nvidia first confirmed those details at Computex back in June. But AI remains a big topic and Nvidia is more than happy to keep beating the AI drum.

While Blackwell was reportedly delayed three months, Nvidia neither confirmed nor denied that information, instead opting to show images of Blackwell systems being installed, as well as providing photos and renders showing more of the internal hardware in the Blackwell GB200 racks and NVLink switches. There's not much to say, other than the hardware looks like it can suck down a lot of juice and has some pretty robust cooling. It also looks very expensive.

Nvidia also showed some performance results from its existing H200, running with and without NVSwitch. It says performance can be up to 1.5X higher on inference workloads compared to running point-to-point designs — that was using a Llama 3.1 70B parameter model. Blackwell doubles the NVLink bandwidth to offer further improvements, with an NVLink Switch Tray offering an aggregate 14.4 TB/s of total bandwidth.

Because data center power requirements keep increasing, Nvidia is also working with partners to boost performance and efficiency. One of the more promising results is using warm water cooling, where the heated water can potentially be recirculated for heating to further reduce costs. Nvidia claims it has seen up to a 28% reduction in data center power use using the tech, with a large portion of that coming from the removal of below ambient cooling hardware.

To prepare for Blackwell, which now adds native FP4 support that can further boost performance, Nvidia has worked to ensure it's latest software benefits from the new hardware features without sacrificing accuracy. After using its Quasar Quantization System to tune the workloads results, Nvidia is able to deliver basically the same quality as FP16 while using one quarter as much bandwidth. The two generated bunny images may very in minor ways, but that's pretty typical of text-to-image tools like Stable Diffusion.

Nvidia also talked about using AI tools to design better chips — AI building AI, with turtles all the way down. Nvidia created an LLM for internal use that helps to speed up design, debug, analysis, and optimization. It works with the Verilog language that's used to describe circuits and was a key factor in the creation of the 208 billion transistor Blackwell B200 GPU. This will then be used to create even better models to enable Nvidia to work on the next generation Rubin GPUs and beyond.

[Feel free to insert your own Skynet joke at this point.]

Wrapping things up, we have a better quality image of Nvidia's AI roadmap for the next several years, which again defines the "Rubin platform" with switches and interlinks as an entire package. Nvidia will be presenting more details on the Blackwell architecture, using generative AI for computer aided engineering, and liquid cooling at the Hot Chips conference next week."

MY COMMENT

I recommend clicking on the link above....there are some very cool photos of the Blackwell system. You can click through about 25-30 images.

I say.....forget Blackwell.....it is in the can....a done deal......whether now or a few months from now.

The only thing left is to rake in the money it will produce. What I am looking toward as a long term investor is......the next jump forward as mentioned above....RUBIN......and......BEYOND.

"RUBIN and BEYOND".....sounds like something out of "Toy Story" or "Guardians Of the Galaxy". As long as we avoid "SKYNET" it is......all good.

#21225 WXYZ, Aug 26, 2024
  6. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

That is about it for today......now the hard part begins....waiting and doing nothing.

7. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

LOL.....as to the post by Rayak (on the prior page).......I have been around a lot of Politicians and Celebrities. One thing I have found to be uniformly true......they are TOTAL EGO MANIACS. I mean HUGE.

Not that this is a bad thing for them.....I believe it is a necessary component of having extreme CHARISMA......which they all do in some form or another. It is simply a born trait that very, very, few people are born with......in the extreme.......like you see in the top politicians and celebrities.

BUT.....do not confuse this with being smart or having a lick of common sense.....or in the reverse......not being a MORON.

In music I am a side person....not the "star" of the show. I like it that way. Same with when I was a business owner. I interacted with politicians and lobbyists many times.....but.....it was usually limited to legislative strategy for my business trade group or pending legislation or issues or testimony to the Legislature.

BUT......I have ZERO interest in celebrity or celebrity lifestyle. I am an under the radar person.....as much as possible....IRL.

#21227 WXYZ, Aug 26, 2024
    Rayak likes this.
  8. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

As expected today I ended in the red for my nine stocks. I did have four of nine stocks green today.....and....I consider that pretty good with how the day went for the markets today. Those green stocks were....CMG, COST, GOOGL, and AAPL.

I ended with a good solid medium loss today and a loss to the SP500 by 0.55%.

We now move forward to NVDA earnings eve. Like Christmas eve...it will be a day filled with joy and excitement....since we will soon see if we got coal or presents.

For anyone that has been living in a cave deep in the Amazon rainforest for the past six months.....NVDA....reports earnings after the bell this Wednesday.

9. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

Boring open today......but I like this article.

The Fed is finally about to start cutting rates — and here’s why you shouldn’t care

https://nypost.com/2024/08/26/busin...utting-rates-and-heres-why-you-shouldnt-care/

"So it looks like the Fed will finally cut rates in September. But by how much? And is it too late? Too early?

After witnessing decades of endless soothsaying and hand-wringing over the central bank and its next moves, I have reached a straightforward and decisive conclusion: Who cares?

Sound heretical? Crazy, even? If so, hear me out. The proof abounds: Stocks don’t need rate cuts. Cut, hike or hold, the Federal Reserve’s actions rarely mean much for investors — and their talk even less.

Yes – many presume that all the PhDs and institutionalized processes at central banks make them powerfully important — with prescriptive pronouncements and actions that ripple seismically and inevitably through the markets.

Wrong! It’s all voodoo.

Take wages. Fed folks deem wage growth inflationary. Never! Five decades ago, Nobel Prize winner Milton Friedman proved that rising wages always follow inflation — they never cause it.

So it was this time around, as inflation started spiking in February 2021, finally hitting a 9.1% peak in June 2022. Meanwhile, wages were actually down during the first half of 2021 before they started perking up, hitting their growth peak of 6.7 in June 2022. Since then, while inflation has dropped precipitously, wages have actually eased more slowly. Most recently, inflation and wage growth were at 2.9% and 3.9%, respectively.

To review: Inflation first; wage hikes later. Always. Global too, where inflation’s slowing came while UK and eurozone wages surged.

Indeed, central banks react to things far more often than they cause them. (Uniform, wrongheaded economic training spurs braindead groupthink – nodding to each other knowingly while never knowing what’s next.)

Take “forward guidance,” when central bankers signal future policy changes to prevent surprises. This guidance is supposed to yield transparency. Instead, it sows chaos when they later veer from it – which they do regularly.

Example: In May 2022, Chairman Jay Powell said the Fed “wasn’t even considering” 75-basis-point hikes. It hiked that much the very next month … and three of four months thereafter. Oops!

That isn’t unique. The European Central Bank openly predicted no 2022 hikes but raised rates 50 bps that July — and three more times after that. Another six times in 2023. The Bank of England flip-flopped twice this cycle, too. They all flip-flop as often as not, and always have.

It isn’t all just because of idiocy. The global economy is complex. Data vary. Interpretations change. Stuff happens. But if central bankers don’t know their next move, how can you? You can’t. Yet pundits foolishly keep scrutinizing policymakers for clues, parsing their words and body language, or even reading into their silence.

Don’t bother. Even if you could, it wouldn’t help. Consider: Commercial banks borrow short-term funds to finance longer-term loans. Hikes aim to raise banks’ funding costs, cooling lending, GDP growth and inflation.

During this cycle, as I explained in a December 2022 column, global deposit gluts have kept banks’ funding costs super low — negating hikes’ power and the logic behind them (and behind cuts now.) So, loan growth endures at moderate expansionary levels.

Does our economy need cuts? Seemingly not. US GDP has grown eight straight quarters. Europe’s recovery began long before their initial cuts.

Stocks don’t need cuts, either. Yes, hiking fear partly drove 2022’s slide. But the S&P 500 gained 59.5% since that October’s low — preceding six straight rate hikes. And stocks boomed in 2024 while earlier expectations of rapid rate cuts imploded.

[​IMG] 5
    Hiking fear partly drove 2022’s stock slide. But the S&P 500 gained 59.5% since that October’s low — preceding six straight rate hikes.
    The European Central Bank hiked starting July 2022. By its first cut this June Eurozone stocks were 38% above pre-hike levels. The Bank of England hiked 14 times from December 2021 until this August’s cut. UK stocks rose 24% in pounds over that stretch.

With hikes like those, who needs cuts? Despite all the “high rates” talk, today’s fed-funds rate and 10-year Treasury yield are historically quite normal long-term. Myopia blinds many to that.

[​IMG] 5
    The fed-funds rate and 10-year Treasury yield are historically quite normal long-term.

So don’t sweat central banks — hawkish or dovish. It’s all birdbrained. Enjoy this bull market."

MY COMMENT

BIRD-BRAINED is exactly right. If they want to give us cuts....ok....I will take it. BUT....I dont see cuts as having any huge impact one way or another except for mortgage rates.

It will be a big media topic for a while but even that will fade.

10. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

I hate to hype NVDA....but I will anyway since I do see the stock as a definite core holding for anyone with a long view. BUT....that means owning a rational and realistic number of shares as part of a portfolio of stocks.

If you don't own Nvidia stock, you are missing a revolution, tech investor says

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/if-y...-revolution-says-tech-investor-120002209.html

"It still makes a lot of sense to own momentum stock darling Nvidia (NVDA).

If you don’t own Nvidia, you are literally missing out on a revolution,” Ross Gerber, co-founder of Gerber Kawasaki Wealth and Investment Management, told Yahoo Finance Executive Editor Brian Sozzi on the Opening Bid podcast (watch video above; listen below).

Gerber opined those not investing in Nvidia are comparable to people “not investing in Napoleon during the French Revolution.”

Gerber said his firm has owned Nvidia's stock for over a decade.

Initially, Nvidia’s strong position in gaming chips was the draw. But as Nvidia has pivoted to autonomous car chips and powerful AI chips, Gerber has been gobbling up more shares of the Jensen Huang-led tech play.

“It’s been the best investment we’ve ever made,” Gerber added.

The firm’s longtime bullishness appears to have paid off handsomely. Recently, shares have skyrocketed with plenty of upside.

Nvidia's stock has surged more than 2,900% in the past five years, fueled by one impressive quarter after another as it grabs the leadership position in cutting-edge chips. The company's strong results continued in its first fiscal quarter, with sales rising 18% year over year to $26 billion. Non-GAAP earnings boomed 461% from the prior year.

When Nvidia reports its closely watched second quarter results on Wednesday afternoon, the Street is looking for more of the same. Revenue and earnings are expected to rise 113% and 156%, respectively.

Gerber isn’t alone in his optimism about Nvidia.

In a June visit to the Opening Bid podcast, EMJ Capital founder Eric Jackson told Sozzi he believed the company could hit a $6 trillion market cap, nearly double its then-$3.25 trillion market cap.

Nvidia's current market cap stands at about $3.18 trillion.

Goldman Sachs analyst Toshiya Hari recently reiterated a Buy rating on Nvidia ahead of earnings.

Concerns such as delays in next-generation Blackwell GPU architecture are potential short-term woes, Hari wrote in a note to clients.

"Overall, we expect management commentary coupled with supply chain data points over the coming weeks to lead to higher conviction as it pertains to Nvidia’s earnings power in calendar 2025,” Hari wrote.

Hari noted that significant customers, including Alphabet (GOOG, GOOGL) and Meta (META), have unveiled plans to increase capital spending, and Microsoft (MSFT) and Amazon (AMZN) are allocating capital expenditure growth toward AI and cloud products.

“Intra-quarter data points continued to indicate a robust demand environment,” Hari wrote.

This past week, Nvidia's rival AMD (AMD) announced the $4.9 billion acquisition of server equipment maker ZT Systems. To Nvidia bulls, the deal underscored how much the company is outpacing a worthy competitor such as AMD, led by Lisa Su.

We’re long-term investors,” Gerber said. “I think Nvidia should be a core holding, with Microsoft, for sure.”

MY COMMENT

For those wanting to buy there was a great low entry point a few weeks ago. But that is gone now.

Perhaps a post-earnings drop will create another opportunity.

11. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

As to NVDA....personally it has come to dominate my portfolio. The position is now large enough that it determines if I have a loss or a gain most days. BUT.....I will not sell or take profit......I will ride the wave and let winners run.

I still see this company as a 5-10 year hold.....minimum.....and probably longer. It will depend on how long their dominance lasts and if they can turn the company into a BIG CAP LONG TERM MONSTER with multi decade staying power....like MSFT, GOOGL, AAPL, and.AMZN.

They are off to a very good start....but...the key will be what happens when the current leadership either retires or ages out of the company some time over the next 5-10 years. If they can put in place a great management team that can successfully make the transition from founder management......their future is very bright.

T0rm3nted likes this.
  12. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

It is still an extremely mild market today....just drifting.

I have seven of nine stocks green right now.....but.....the gains are small. Just what I would expect on a drifting day like today.

The entire market is now focused on the NVDA earnings. They have come to dominate the entire market. I am not sure I have ever seen a stock as dominant in terms of the impact on the entire market as this company......perhaps MSFT in the 1990 to 2000 tine span.

13. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

I hate these sorts of meaningless surveys.....but this is in the news today so I will post it. The is in my opinion the worst sort of meaningless data....but it is put out there as economic......so we are stuck with it. Absolutely NOT a factor I would consider as an investor for the long term.

US consumer confidence rises in August as Americans' optimism about future improves

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/us-consumer-confidence-rises-august-141148632.html

14. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

It is a pretty DULL and BORING day when the above is all I can find. BUT.....dull and boring.....is better than wild and crazy in the markets.

15. TireSmoke

TireSmoke Well-Known Member

I agree. Not a whole lot happening. I guess we will all find out if the wait was worth it tomorrow at close. In the mean time I have a young friend who setup a trading/brokerage account today and is going to join the wild world of long term investing. He has a 401k/retirement account/pension so this will be a non-retirement account that he will only invest what he can afford to lose. $1000 to start and we will see if he can stick to adding more each paycheck. The hard part is getting started, the second hard part is trusting your investments and letting them ride! Oh he is starting with 8 shares of NVDA bought today at $128.91

WXYZ likes this.
  16. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

Good for them TireSmoke. With you as their mentor they should do just fine. As it is for everyone....the first $100,000....seems like something that will never happen. It seems forever to hit that first big milestone. Good luck to your friend and have them take a look at this thread for support and encouragement.

#21236 WXYZ, Aug 27, 2024
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2024
    TireSmoke likes this.
  17. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

Up, down, up, down, up, down........I was UP today and made back what I lost yesterday plus a very small bit more. I had five of nine stocks up today. The red stocks were.....AMZN, GOOGL, HD, and PLTR.

I also got in a beat on the SP500 by 0.64% today.

18. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

It is so exciting......NVDA day tomorrow.

Imagine how TireSmoke's friend will feel if the market nit-picks great earnings and they are suddenly down by 10-15%......$12 to $18 per share.......on those brand new, shinny, eight shares. It could be a rude welcome to the investing world to lose 10-15% of your money in one day.

But....in the end it will be fine....if the focus is totally on the long term. A good learning experience.

TireSmoke likes this.
  19. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

LOL...on the other hand imagine that NVDA is up by about $18. after earnings. TireSmokes friend will make about 14% in a single day as an investor. They will be thinking......."man, this investing stuff is so easy".

TireSmoke and Lori Myers like this.
  20. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

And then they will become a trader.

WXYZ likes this.