The Long Term Investor

Discussion in 'Investing' started by WXYZ, Oct 2, 2018.

1. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

And....more.

US job openings fall to 3-1/2-year low in July

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/us-job-openings-fall-3-141932923.html

(BOLD is my opinion OR what I consider important content)

"WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. job openings dropped to a 3-1/2-year low in July, suggesting the labor market was losing steam, but probably not enough for the Federal Reserve to consider a big interest rate cut this month.

Job openings, a measure of labor demand, had fallen by 237,000 to 7.673 million on the last day of July, the lowest level since January 2021, the Labor Department's Bureau of Labor Statistics said in its Job Openings and Labor Turnover Survey, or JOLTS report, on Wednesday. Data for June was revised lower to show 7.910 million unfilled positions instead of the previously reported 8.184 million.

Economists polled by Reuters had forecast 8.100 million job openings. Hires increased by 273,000 to 5.521 million. Layoffs rose 202,000 to a still-low 1.762 million.

The data suggested that the labor market is not cratering, but slowing in an orderly manner, which would reduce the need for the Fed to deliver a half-percentage-point interest rate cut at the U.S. central bank's Sept. 17-18 policy meeting.

A 50-basis-point rate reduction was also put in doubt by strong consumer spending in July. A rise in the unemployment rate to near a three-year high of 4.3% in July rattled financial markets and ignited fears of a recession.

That was compounded by the government estimating last month that employment gains were overstated by 68,000 jobs per month in the 12 months through March.

But economists cautioned against viewing these developments as signs that the labor market was in trouble, arguing that a surge in immigrants had boosted the unemployment rate. They also noted that the data from which the government based its so-called payrolls benchmark revision estimate does not include undocumented immigrants, a group that they believe contributed to strong job growth last year."

MY COMMENT

A good Goldilocks report......not too cold and not too hot.

2. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

3. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

You know the more I think about the market and NVDA yesterday and the timing of the government antitrust subpoena......the more I think this is WAY TOO BIG of a coincidence to ignore.

I have no personal doubt that the info leaked......(but this is just my allegation)......and tanked the markets yesterday as the BIG BOYS traded on the information. I have no proof of course....other than my personal memory of all the government corruption that I have seen over the past 20-30 years.

There is no way the government can keep this sort of information and upcoming event a secret.

BUT....so what.....there is nothing that can be done. It is just part of the markets....if true.

4. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

Ok....progress. NVDA is now positive......for a while at least. A great company is on sale today. In fact probably a lot of great companies on sale today.

5. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

6. roadtonowhere08

roadtonowhere08 Well-Known Member

You are most assuredly right. We shall see.

WXYZ likes this.
  7. TireSmoke

TireSmoke Well-Known Member

I have to agree with W on this was leaked a day early most likely intentionally. I guess we can add this to one more reason to buy and hold. Following stocks on the daily will drive you nuts. It's out of our control.

WXYZ likes this.
  8. bigbear0083

bigbear0083 Active Member

Just wanted to drop by here real quick to give some major love and appreciation to W and all the other regulars who frequent and contribute to this thread everyday.

I’ve been a member of this community for coming up on…get this…18 years! That’s correct. I first stumbled upon the very first iteration of this community that was called HSM (Hotstockmarket.com) back in 2006.

I’m not nearly as active posting on internet message boards like I once was in my heydays, but I still try to come around once every so often to offer my 2c on the state of the markets.

I’m not here to share my thoughts on the markets today, but rather give my utmost appreciation and gratitude to @WXYZ for his ridiculously amazing efforts keeping this thread alive throughout the many years now.

I say this because this thread is now the only thing remaining that is literally keeping this entire forum afloat at this point. I kid you not. Without this thread this site would be a complete and utter ghost town imho.

WXYZ is truly one of a kind that I have NEVER witnessed in my near 2 decades of being at this community.

I honestly don’t know how you do this everyday W. What I mean by that is, how you continue to keep up with the postings that you do in here day in and day out. If it were me, I honestly would have burned out long ago by now lol. I’m truly amazed by what you do here and how consistent you are at this. It’s really something incredible to behold tbh. You never miss a beat!

Keep up the great work my friend. I try to lurk in here every now and again whenever I can, it is always great content that you deliver in here each and every day W. Never a disappointment!

Thanks for all you do and have done over the years at this community. I’m sure I speak for all the regulars who frequent this thread daily when I say that. You are without a doubt the absolute cornerstone on this ENTIRE community now. Without you, this site may as well shutter its doors. You da man. ;)

#21328 bigbear0083, Sep 4, 2024
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2024
    T0rm3nted, Lori Myers, Smokie and 3 others like this.
  9. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

Thank you BIG BEAR....I have appreciated you for the entire six years I have been on here. Your kind thoughts are always good motivation.

BUT.....doing this is nothing special for me. I would be looking at and reading all the content every day anyway. Posting does not take me long since I do it really fast......thus....my typos. AND....I think I get more out of the interaction on here than anyone else. Other than this site......there is NO ONE ELSE that I talk or discuss investing with.

For any reading this thread I also refer you to the ......"Daily Discussion - Main Discussion thread". Under forum "Stock Market Today".....there is much good daily content there. PLUS when I look at all the different FORUMS on here......I see a lot of recent posts......so the board is still active. I encourage anyone on here to explore the various forums and threads....especially if you are more of an active investor or trader. There is a lot of good content on here all the time.

I will also pass on my appreciation to those that post on this thread......it is nice not to be simply talking to the wind all the time on here by myself.

So anyone that cares to......post away. No experience level necessary.....just an interest in investing.

#21329 WXYZ, Sep 4, 2024
    Lori Myers likes this.
  10. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

11. Strathmore

Strathmore Member

I'd like to see the speed of your typing, that must be insanely fast :D and the more interesting thing is that you rarely have any typos in your posts.
    Have you thought of using a dictation software on your PC?

WXYZ and roadtonowhere08 like this.
  12. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

OK EVERYONE....a loss for me today...medium level. At least I had two stocks green today.....COST and PLTR. A lot of flailing around in the markets today.

REMEMBER.....I WILL BE......AWOL....MIA.....FROM TODAY TILL NEXT FRIDAY. KEEP THOSE MARKETS MOVING ON UP FOR ME. Someone post something once in a while.

13. roadtonowhere08

He probably has talk to text and any time he pauses to think, the software just adds ellipses :D

Just kidding, W. I honestly do not know how you do it with such regularity. Amazing.

TireSmoke, Smokie and WXYZ like this.
  14. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

Well.....I dont have to work a day job or kids still at home.....so I have a good amount of time.

I like it...that was pretty funny Road....about the ellipses.

#21334 WXYZ, Sep 4, 2024
    TireSmoke and roadtonowhere08 like this.
  15. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

WOW....you have got to be kidding. If this is true.....the media has done a HUGE disservice to investors and the markets over the past day or two.

Nvidia says it didn’t receive antitrust subpoena from DOJ

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/09/04/nvidia-says-it-didnt-receive-antitrust-subpoena-from-doj.html

(BOLD is my opinion OR what I consider important content)

"Key Points
    • Nvidia denied reports that it had received a subpoena from the Department of Justice over antitrust concerns.
    • “We have inquired with the U.S. Department of Justice and have not been subpoenaed. Nonetheless, we are happy to answer any questions regulators may have about our business,” a representative told CNBC.

Nvidia on Wednesday denied reports it received a subpoena from the Department of Justice over antitrust concerns.

“We have inquired with the U.S. Department of Justice and have not been subpoenaed,” an Nvidia representative told CNBC. “Nonetheless, we are happy to answer any questions regulators may have about our business.”

Bloomberg reported Tuesday that Nvidia had received a subpoena, causing the stock to slip in after-hours trading. The chipmaker’s shares had already given up nearly 10% during regular trading Tuesday.

While the report did not specify a reason for regulators to be interested in Nvidia, the company’s recent rise has been directly tied to its dominance in artificial intelligence chips for data centers years before competitors AMD and Intel started taking the category seriously.

Nvidia has more than 80% of the data center AI chip market, according to industry estimates.

Nvidia “wins on merit, as reflected in our benchmark results and value to customers, and customers can choose whatever solution is best for them,” Nvidia told CNBC."

MY COMMENT

IMAGINE....that the big drop we have seen in NVDA over the past two days was simply........based on insider knowledge......that was FAKE. Some of this stuff that we are seeing in the markets lately is..............CRAZY.

First we had the BLACKWELL rumors and reporting....most of which appears to have been way overblown if not FAKE. Now this. Is this all part of some coordinated......HIT JOB?

16. roadtonowhere08

Not sure what that would accomplish. Tiny dips in the road.

17. Strathmore

Strathmore Member

The company I work for, was acquired by a big corporation and all employees received big bonuses on the last paycheck. So I decided to transfer half of the bonus in my brokerage account and today bought shares of CMG, PLTR and NVDA.

Smokie and TireSmoke like this.
  18. TireSmoke

TireSmoke Well-Known Member

Pretty good timing @Strathmore! All three appear to have some pretty good upside potential. Hopefully all the fake NVDA news will upside and it can continue it's upward move.

Smokie and Strathmore like this.
  19. Smokie

Smokie Well-Known Member

TGIF everyone.

Looks like the markets did not like the latest jobs report. Of course, who knows if it is even accurate at this point. We may know in a few months when it is likely revised or changed once again, only to be followed by a new report which will also likely be revised as well. :)

Will be interesting to see where the day ends up. I may add some shares today with a little sale going on.

Most of us can't really complain too much with the gains we have been racking up this year.

TireSmoke, Strathmore and TomB16 like this.
  20. EnzotheBulldog

EnzotheBulldog New Member

• The stock market's volatility often leads to irrational pricing, which presents buying opportunities during peak market.
    • Economic fundamentals remain strong with steady job growth, robust consumer spending, and improving productivity despite recent stock market declines and fears of a recession.
    • Inflation is expected to decline steadily, with real wage growth outpacing inflation. Strong productivity gains and stable wage growth support this.
    • The long-term outlook for corporate profits is bullish, driven by tech advancements and AI. S&P earnings growth is expected to remain robust, justifying current valuations.
    • Economic and corporate earnings growth outlooks have improved in recent weeks, while stocks have sold off and some world-class companies have crashed. When prices fall while fundamentals improve, it's time to "get greedy when others are fearful" and confidently buy your favorite blue chips.

Smokie likes this.