The Long Term Investor

Discussion in 'Investing' started by WXYZ, Oct 2, 2018.

1. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

As to the above I will note.....ONE EDIT....in re-posting this information on my Portfolio Model.

The stock side of the portfolio has now grown to about 70% of the total. The fund side is now about 30% of the total. This is because the stock side is significantly outperforming the fund side.

BUT.......I do like having the SP500 and Fidelity Contra funds and will continue to hold them. I want and need the diversification that they provide......even though they triple up on the nine BIG CAP stocks that I hold as individual stocks.

I have ZERO plans to correct this or re-balance.....I try to always.....LET WINNERS RUN.

Lori Myers likes this.
  2. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

I am STILL showing a significant gain today....even though I only have two stocks in the GREEN....PLTR and NVDA. I am also significantly beating the SP500 early today.

I would definately like to see a few of my other stocks get to the green before the close. BUT....if I can make money on just a couple of stocks....i will take it. That is why I own a....."portfolio".......it is all about the performance of the ......"whole"..... over the long term.

3. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

WOW.....a nice bump up in the market in the last FIVE MINUTES of the day today.....at least for me.

I ended with five stocks RED......three GREEN.......HD, PLTR, and NVDA.......and one dead FLAT at 0.00%....GOOGL. So a very good improvement by the end of the day. I also beat the SP500 today by........YES......1.30%.

Moving on to the end of the week......and the BIG DEAL.....(yeah right)....economic news tomorrow.

4. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

Looks like the general markets did not do near as well as I did today.

Dow leads declines ahead of jobs report, oil surges 5% as Mideast focus intensifies

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/live...5-as-mideast-focus-intensifies-200102775.html

(BOLD is my opinion OR what I consider important content)

"Stocks slipped on Thursday as Wall Street awaited the key jobs report and dissected a slew of economic data ahead of it. Meanwhile, the possibility of an Israeli retaliatory attack against Iran's oil facilities sent oil soaring for a third day.

The S&P 500 (^GSPC) dropped almost 0.2%, while the Dow Jones Industrial Average (^DJI) fell about 0.4%. The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite (^IXIC) finished just below the flatline.

Some calm has returned to a market rattled by escalating Mideast tensions that have driven sharp gains in oil prices. Israel has yet to launch its promised retaliation to Iran's missile strike on Tuesday amid efforts by Western and regional leaders to stabilize the situation.

But the burgeoning crisis helped drive oil prices higher for a third day. Brent crude (BZ=F) and West Texas Intermediate (CL=F) futures both gained more than 5% following comments from President Biden regarding the possibility of an Israeli retaliatory attack against Iran's oil facilities.

In the US, investors are bracing for the highly anticipated September jobs report on Friday after a surprise uptick in private payrolls came alongside signs the labor market is loosening up.

The market received more signs of general cooling in the labor market on Thursday. Weekly jobless claims ticked up slightly from the prior week. Meanwhile, planned layoffs in the US dipped from a five-month high, according to a report from Challenger, Gray and Christmas. But the firm's vice president said the data showed the labor market is at an "inflection point."

Any new signs of deterioration in the labor market could prompt the Federal Reserve to follow up its 0.5% interest rate cut last month with another jumbo move, despite policymakers' expectation of a 0.25% cut in November.

On the corporate front, Tesla (TSLA) stock continued to slide in the wake of downbeat delivery figures, as Reuters reported the EV maker has halted US online orders for its cheapest Model 3. Shares declined more than 3% on Thursday."

MY COMMENT

I call BS on a 0.50% rate cut in November.

As to the economic data tomorrow.....it will simply be a....YAWNER. It will be about as expected and will be meaningless. BUT....all the turmoil and drama pushed this week about investors WAITING for the jobs data......will not disappear. It will end up as yet another week of.....constant daily fear-mongering of the markets.....true or not.

As a side point.....the economic data is meaningless anyway....since it will all be revised massively over the next six months.

I think I can count on one hand the number of weeks this year that the media has been generally POSITIVE abut the markets. T

They are one of the most significant drags on the markets week after week....and...very little of what they talk about and push is actual fact. It is ALL uneducated OPINION.

5. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

This is an interesting story that I had no awareness of.

How a tiny town hit by Helene could upend the global semiconductor chip industry

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/10/03/helene-quartz-mine-semiconductor-north-carolina.html

Key Information
    • All of the world’s supply of high-purity quartz.......needed to produce semiconductors......is mined in a tiny North Carolina town that was trashed by Hurricane Helen.
    • “.......it can put the entire industry on its ear, period,” (industry expert).
    • The two companies operating mines have paused operations since Thursday. They have “no visibility” as to when mining will resume.

Strathmore likes this.
  6. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

Actually....one of the accounts that I manage....not my own....hit a new all time high today. SHOCKING.

7. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

8. TireSmoke

TireSmoke Well-Known Member