The Long Term Investor

Discussion in 'Investing' started by WXYZ, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Strathmore

Strathmore Member

I'm their customer and really surprises me that they went this way. I considered them as a serious business, comparing to other low-cost retail brokerages.

Younger generations are doomed with the sheer amount of screen time. I see people around me spending too much time on reels and Youtube shorts. It's insane. Total loss of attention and patience.

WXYZ likes this.
  2. Strathmore

Strathmore Member

That would be a loooong time to wait for NVDA earnings :D

WXYZ and TireSmoke like this.
  3. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

I have now lost most of my gain today. NVDA is still up nicely but the rest of my stocks have continued to go down as the day progresses....making it hard for NVDA to pull the account into the green by itself. BUT....so far I am hanging in there in the green.

4. TireSmoke

TireSmoke Well-Known Member

Looks like a nice green day for me as long as the wheels don't fall off in the last hour. See if some money starts cycling back into Chip stocks after getting hammered over the summer.

5. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

AND today is.....FUN WITH PLUMBING....day for me.

I turned on the shower mid-morning and when I went to get in it was COLD. I had it turned all the way to HOT. So...I figured I am going to have to go up into the attic and see what is going on with the "on demand" hot water heater. I also noticed that it was harder than normal to turn the water handle to the off position. When I did get to the off position.....the water was reduced but still running at about the rate of a quart per 3-5 minutes.

I was like....SH*T.....the valve must have failed and was not allowing hot water in and is now not turning off. So I checked and the rest of the house does have hot water. So it must be the valve in the shower wall.

I unscrewed the head in the shower and went through all my stuff in the garage to see if I had any caps to cap the pipe off. I found some that looked right but....no...they were too small. So off to Home Depot where I did get a cap that fits. I now have it caped off with only a tiny drip.

The plumber will be here tomorrow and I will begin a new adventure of......can they find a valve that works with the hardware.....and....do they have to open up the wall behind the shower to get to the valve.

At least it is the master closet behind the shower with nothing on that wall so if they have to cut it open it will be in the closet. AND....I have all the tools and skills to do Sheetrock repair myself. I am pretty sure I am going to have a hole in the master closet wall.

It is always something.......(SIGH).

Lori Myers likes this.
  6. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

Yes Strathmore.....I think they are pretty much screwed. The amount of time most young people are spending on social media and screens is distorting their perceptions and brains.

My view is that basically once there are enough of them.....LOGIC and RATIONAL thinking...is dead. Everything will be...EMOTIONAL REASONING....and extremely short term attention span and thinking....with ZERO ability to relate or interact with people and life.

Of course as this sweeps civalization and takes over most of the Western and civilized world.....as usual through history....at some point whoever the BARBARIANS are.....will sweep in and WIPE OUT the screen people. At that point we will be in some sort of SCI-FI movie type situation or Road Warrior situation. After that happens.....human history will start to move forward again....slowly....as has happened many times before.

Strathmore likes this.
  7. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

WELL.....somehow today we have gone from a.....RED market day....to the fall of civilization. Sounds about normal.

8. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

The markets never could cut through the FEAR and NOISE today. It was a short term based day today....all the way with stock sinking more and more as the day progresses. The BIG CAP TECH stocks led the way with big drops all the way around except for NVDA which was GREEN.

I ended with a very slight loss today thanks to NVDA having a good day. At least I got in a good beat on the SP500 by 0.90% today.

MSFT, AAPL, GOOGL, PLTR, and AMZN were all down big ranging from (-1.67%) to (-3.17%) today.

On a day like this....I will take the beat on the SP500 and be happy as we move on to a new day.

9. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

10. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

AND.....in conjunction with the stock markets today....the Ten Year Treasury Yield ended the day UP at......4.26%.

Basically an unsustainable yield over the medium to long term with the rate cut environment. BUT....a reflection of the Middle East and oil situation.

11. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

Here is a little....NVDA....tidbit.

Foxconn chairman says AI investment boom ‘still has some time to go’ as language models evolve

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/10/08/fox...boom-still-has-time-to-go-as-llms-evolve.html

".......The company is currently on track to ship Nvidia’s next-generation Blackwell GPU (graphics processing unit), an advanced AI server chip, in the fourth quarter of 2024, Liu told CNBC."........

".......Liu said that demand for the chip is “much better than we thought,” ........the firm is building new factories in Mexico to help service outsized demand for the product."......

"His comments tally with what Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang has said ........., Huang told CNBC’s “Closing Bell Overtime” that demand for Blackwell was “insane.”".......

12. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

Looks like a good open for me....every one of my stocks is GREEN. A definite improvement from yesterday.

I have had ZERO time to look at anything to do with the markets today. I have the AC/HEAT guy coming in about ten minutes and the plumber for my broken shower this afternoon.

The good news.....the shower trim and the valve are available with delivery in two days. So I will confirm with the plumber tthis afternoon which parts we need and get them ordered.

13. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

HERE is the market today.

S&P 500 rebounds from Monday’s decline as oil prices ease

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/10/07/stock-market-today-live-updates.html

(BOLD is my opinion OR what I consider important content)

"The S&P 500 rebounded on Tuesday following a losing session on Wall Street with rising oil prices and bond yields in focus.

The S&P 500gained 0.4% and the Nasdaq Composite rose 0.6%. The Dow Jones Industrial average
    lost 50 points

Stocks are coming off a rocky session. The Dow finished nearly 400 points lower on Monday, while the S&P 500 slid close to 1%. Technology stocks felt the brunt of Monday’s declines, pushing the Nasdaq Composite
    down about 1.2%.

Some tech shares like Nvidia and Super Micro Computer were higher Tuesday. Nvidia added about 1.6% and Super Micro gained 3.3%. Wells Fargo gained 1% following an analyst upgrade.

West Texas Intermediate oil futures advanced above $77 per barrel to start the week, but were back down about 2% early Tuesday as traders monitored Israel’s expected retaliation to Iran missile attacks and U.S. efforts to stave off an even wider war in the region.

Rising bond yields are putting downward pressure on the market to start the week. Notably, the 10-year Treasury yield climbed above 4% Monday. The 10-year Treasury yield was slightly higher to 4.05% on Tuesday, its highest level since August 1.

Stocks have been volatile in the new trading month as investors have grown increasingly fearful of escalating conflict in the Middle East. The S&P 500 is off by a little more than 1.1% in October following a 2% gain in September.

The market rallied a bit to end last week after a blockbuster jobs report. The Dow even managed to notch a new all-time closing high on Friday. But that enthusiasm faded this week as investors reasoned that now the Federal Reserve may not be as aggressive with future rate cuts with the labor market still strong.

“Initially, the market rallied on that really good economic news,” said Larry Tentarelli, chief technical strategist of the Blue Chip Daily Trend Report, of the labor market data. “I think what you’ve got now is the market adjusting to higher bond yields.”

Investors will watch Tuesday for economic data on small businesses and the trade deficit. They’ll also monitor speaking engagements scheduled throughout the day for central bank leaders including Boston Federal Reserve President Susan Collins and Atlanta Fed President Raphael Bostic. A key inflation reading — September’s Consumer Price Index — looms on Thursday."

MY COMMENT

Back from the first repair guy....AC/HEAT winter check-up. Looks like a normal market day today. In fact markets are nicely green.

#21653 WXYZ, Oct 8, 2024
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2024
  14. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

15. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

Lori Myers likes this.
  16. TireSmoke

TireSmoke Well-Known Member

Nvidia shares to remain stuck for the rest of the year, says Citi!!! OH NO!!!! I guess we will all ignore the little Blackwell thingy coming out in Q4. The day I let a bank sway my investing is the day I need to sign over all my assets to my son.

Lori Myers and WXYZ like this.
  17. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

Your son? Sign them over to.....ME.

BUT....REALLY....what IDIOTS. Look at the wording......."REMAIN" Stuck for the Rest Of the Year".

OK.....the stock is UP by +24.31% over the past 30 days. It is UP by +13.69% over the past five days. AND....UP by +52.4% over the past six months.

WTF....WTF.....are they talking about....WTF....are they thinking?

#21657 WXYZ, Oct 8, 2024
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2024
    Lori Myers and TireSmoke like this.
  18. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

My plumber is on the way....so I will sign off.

I do note that ALL of my stocks are still in the GREEN and up even more than earlier in the day.

It is a KILLER day for me today......YES.

19. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

Ok.....the plumbers have gone off to the plumbing supply to get the part they need. Of course it is about 1.5 hours round trip.

SO.

To continue my comments on the IDIOTS at Citi and their prediction for NVDA being stuck for the rest of the year.

Nvidia stock heads for fifth day of gains as Wall Street stays bullish on AI

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/nvid...sANImuuk0Aj66YME-qRy0485ApUvZI6kSskJZ2QeVAUif

(BOLD is my opinion OR what I consider important content)

"Nvidia (NVDA) stock rose more than 3% in afternoon trading on Tuesday, putting shares on pace for their fifth straight day of gains.

Wall Street analysts at KeyBanc, Citi (C), Bernstein, and several other investment firms reiterated their Buy ratings on the stock this week.

KeyBanc analysts raised their fiscal year 2025 sales outlook for Nvidia from $128.5 billion to $130.6 billion, with Nvidia’s new flagship Blackwell AI chips contributing $7 billion to fourth quarter revenues. That’s higher than Wall Street’s consensus estimate of $125.6 billion for 2025 revenue, according to Bloomberg data. Even as production of Nvidia’s Blackwell chips ramps up, KeyBanc said in a note to investors Monday that demand for Nvidia’s prior AI chip models — H100s and H200s — “remains extremely robust.”

Nvidia shares are up 13% over the past week and 189% from last year.

Wedbush analysts said “another positive data point” for Nvidia is a potential new wave of funding for AI startups. The Information reported Monday that OpenAI’s staggering $6.6 billion funding round will likely drive a wave of new AI investments. New funding for AI-related startups would, in turn, fuel demand for Nvidia's AI chips.

Wedbush’s Matt Bryson said on Tuesday that the report is an indication "that there is little likelihood AI spending growth pauses through much (if not all of 2025) to NVDA's benefit."

Nvidia is also looking to prove its worth beyond AI hardware. At its AI Summit in D.C. this week, the company is attempting to highlight the strength of its AI software offerings in a bid to prove it’s more than just a chipmaker.

Adding to the wave of positive press for Nvidia was the announcement of Foxconn's new megafactory assembling Nvidia's AI servers. The chair of electronics manufacturer Foxconn (2354.TW), Young Liu, said during an annual event in Taipei Tuesday that it’s building the world’s largest factory assembling Nvidia GB200 servers in Mexico, according to the Financial Times. Liu said there is “crazy” demand for Nvidia’s latest AI chips. The move will reduce Nvidia’s reliance on China amid rising trade tensions.

Nvidia and Foxconn said they're also working to build Taiwan's fastest supercomputer.

Nvidia isn’t the only semiconductor company that’s thriving. Citing WSTS semiconductor industry data, JPMorgan (JPM) said Tuesday that sector-wide sales rose 28% in August from last year.

“We remain positive on semiconductor and semiconductor equipment stocks as we believe stocks should continue to move higher in anticipation of better supply/demand in 2H24/25 [the second half of 2024 and 2025] and stable/rising earnings power trends in CY24/25 [the 2024 and 2025 calendar years].”

The PHLX Semiconductor Index (^SOX) and the tech-heavy Nasdaq (^IXIC) both rose more than 1% on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, chipmakers in China faced a different fate Tuesday. After China’s economic planning agency failed to live up to the market’s hope for more stimulus measures, China’s Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corporation (0981.HK) fell 18%. Investors had expected stimulus initiatives to boost China’s semiconductor sector."

MY COMMENT

That prediction from Citi......above....is an epic example of MORONS at work.

20. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

Such a nice market day today. Nothing for me to do but....RIDE THE WAVE.....all the way to the close.