The Long Term Investor

Discussion in 'Investing' started by WXYZ, Oct 2, 2018.

1. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

EXCEPT........they.....the professionals......can NOT time the markets and get in and out of a stock any better then anyone else.

This sort of trading behavior is why they.......can not.....get anywhere close to beating the SP500.

ANYWAY.......I am going to be out of touch from tomorrow ( Sunday) till next Friday. I might get a chance to check in.....BUT....I am counting on you guys to make me a bunch of money next week. Dont screw up and let the markets get out of hand.

TomB16 likes this.
  2. A55

A55 Well-Known Member

Emmett, we need a poll!

3. andyvds

andyvds Active Member

i get the impression all these so called "experts" who say we have to invest in gold and silver, only say that because they themselves are deep in gold and silver. to me they're all part of the bubble. safe investments to me on the long term might be "boring" stock like nestle, J & J, unilever, SAP, Siemens etc.

TomB16 likes this.
  4. emmett kelly

emmett kelly Well-Known Member

I'm too busy managing SNOW for him.

upload_2020-9-28_8-21-39.png

5. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

A quick check in. Way to go guys. Great job managing the markets today. Exceptional job by Emmett managing Snow. Keep up the good work.

6. emmett kelly

emmett kelly Well-Known Member

looks like we're going to gap up in the morning, @WXYZ . you're in good hands with emmettstate.

upload_2020-9-29_16-41-8.png

T0rm3nted likes this.
  7. zukodany

zukodany Well-Known Member

Quite shocking turn of events to our country. I spoke about this in this thread a few months ago. Prayers to the safety of our president, country and world. If this escalates there’s no telling what will happen. Sad

On a side note, my Twillio position saved my a$$ from a total disaster today so far. Glad I got it a month ago as an “experiment”

Jwalker and andyvds like this.
  8. Jwalker

Jwalker Active Member

Even though Friday was rough day for my portfolio, I ended the week with a 2.02% beat on the S&P. All in all it wasn't a bad week. I think that if we get a good update on POTUS on Monday then maybe there will be hope that next week isn't chaos. Either way, I think we have a few chaotic months ahead of us. I'm staying in for the long run anyways.

"In the long run, we are all dead." - John Maynard Keynes (I personally am not a fan of Keynes but I like the quote, lol).

9. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

SO...........2020 continues as a..........YEAR TO REMEMBER.........or a..........YEAR TO FORGET. Since I have.........NO COMMENT.........on the election or related news ( I know EXACTLY how and why I am going to vote and cant wait) I am going to talk about why I bought 100 shares of SNOWFLAKE.

In SIMPLE terms.........I am "shadowing" the footsteps of Warren Buffett and Berkshire Hathaway with their purchase of shares and the purchase by SALESFORCE.COM of 9.9% of Snowflake. I believe Berkshire has advance knowledge of the capability of this company due to the fact that Geico has been using their services. SalesForce.com OBVIOUSLY has total understanding of the capability of Snowflake.

It is my opinion that BOTH of these companies DID NOT do this investment for the simple BUMP of their shares in the IPO. They are looking for BIGGER THINGS. The ........big thing.......will be acquisition of Snowflake at some time over the next 2-5 years for a BIG PROFIT............or........Snowflake becoming dominant in their market.

HERE is a good SUMMARY of my reason for buying this speculative........long term.......growth candidate of a stock:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/snowflake-ipo-made-salesforce-warren-buffett-bullish-jiri-kram/

"Did Warren Buffett suddenly become Robinhood instead of Oracle? Unlikely! When you are 90 years old, you will not make foolish bets with your money. It could tarnish your reputation and your legacy. So why the most famous investor in the world, Warren Buffett, is taking a $570M stake in a start-up? And why Salesforce invests additional $250M to the company, you might never hear about? Here is my take why Warren Buffet, Marc Benioff and I are all bullish about Snowflake.

Short history lesson
    • March 12, 1986 – Oracle $ORCL (IPO price: $0.067, today: $55.73)
    • March 13, 1986 – Microsoft $MSFT (IPO price: $0.089, today: $ 214.25)
    • June 23, 2004 – Salesforce $CRM (IPO price: $3.95, today: $254.70)
    • June 29, 2012 – ServiceNow $NOW (IPO price: $23.70, today: $487.41)
    Will the year 2020 add another name in that list?"

AND

Snowflake is going to be one of the biggest tech IPO in history
    1. Snowflake TAM is far bigger than any previous firm Frank took to IPO
    2. Snowflake disrupts the market dominated by Oracle, Microsoft, IBM...etc.
    3. Snowflake is designed for the multi-cloud world
    4. Snowflake is an acquisition target number one for almost every cloud vendor
    5. Snowflake can become as big as Oracle (if not stopped by acquisition)
    6. Snowflake complements SaaS applications like Salesforce, ServiceNow…etc
    7. Snowflake has a technology advantage that will be further expanded
    8. Snowflake has favourable economic model making it hedge against vendor lock
    9. Snowflake works with all major clouds: AWS, Azure, GCP and Salesforce.
    10. Snowflake integrates to many data platforms Informatica, Tableau, Power BI..etc
    And it’s just a start.

What is the future of Snowflake?
    There are only three most probable options:
    1. Snowflake is acquired by Salesforce, Oracle, Microsoft, Google, Amazon or IBM.
    2. Snowflake will become high-flier like ServiceNow, DocuSign, Okta, Veeva…etc
    3. Snowflake will outgrow competitors and will become as acquisitive as Salesforce
    MY COMMENT

I will hold this company........SNOWFLAKE.........as a long term speculative growth holding. I EXPECT that the pay off will come either through ACQUISITION or by market dominance.

10. A55

A55 Well-Known Member

Screenshot_20201004-000700_kindlephoto-16288013.png

Jwalker likes this.
  11. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

It sounds like the anti-virals have him much better, already. I expect he will be back to normal by the end of the coming week.

12. A55

A55 Well-Known Member

13. A55

A55 Well-Known Member

Screenshot_20201004-112216.png Screenshot_20201004-113606.png Screenshot_20201004-112927.png Screenshot_20201004-112658.png Screenshot_20201004-112710.png

14. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

You guys did a pretty good job of holding the markets together last week. I am DISREGARDING Friday.......not your fault. Thanks for watching my SNOW......Emmett.

It was a TOUGH week......but.......you guys brought us in with a WIN for the week with the SP500 being........UP........by 1.52%. Not bad.......considering.

Jwalker likes this.
  15. The Ragin Cajun

The Ragin Cajun Active Member

Welcome back! I thought it was a solid week all things considered, showed bull market strength in my novice opinion. It seems like a stimulus could be on the way shortly as well. Having our President and a number of his administration get the virus may not be such a bad thing going forward. Assuming all recover it will further show that this virus is not a death sentence to the average person and only further help to get things back to "normal".

Jwalker likes this.
  16. zukodany

The timing of it all further proves to me that this virus IS, has been & ALWAYS WILL BE, a political tool. There’s nothing organic about the origins of it, the handling of it, and the timing of it. welcome to the new world of politics, if we do indeed make it past a peaceful election year I can only imagine what the future will hold

B Russ likes this.
  17. The Ragin Cajun

The Ragin Cajun Active Member

I am currently reading a book about the 1918 Spanish Flu. I can't imagine how we would react to a pandemic of those proportions today. Kids and healthy young men/women dying. I have always said throughout this virus....Older people, those with severe health complications need to try to stay away from big social gatherings and protect themselves. I don't blame them for staying home, however younger people wear masks and GO TO WORK. Kids go to school. You can't shut down the economy, it only will add to our problems, so much for just flattening the curve. I feel for citizens and business's in states that just won't open up.

I am curious to see population death rates for 2019 vs 2020, wouldn't be surprised to see 2019's higher. I could be wrong. By no means am I saying this is not real, it is a threat, just like any number of contagious colds and diseases that we face throughout our lives, some worse than others. We need to be realistic about the precautions we take and quit inciting fear for political purposes.

zukodany and B Russ like this.
  18. andyvds

andyvds Active Member

i love these kind of monday's where everything is in the green on my stock dashboard.

19. zukodany

If people were to die like flies as they did during the Spanish Flu we wouldn’t need any regulations or laws to help us protect ourselves. We would just shelter ourselves and protect ourselves best we can because of the FEAR OF DYING. right now we are sheltering ourselves because of the FEAR OF POLITICS

20. A55

A55 Well-Known Member

Screenshot_2020-10-05-08-56-04_kindlephoto-149166634.png
    Screenshot_2020-10-05-08-53-11_kindlephoto-149008415.png
    Screenshot_2020-10-03-21-21-26.png
    Screenshot_2020-10-03-21-12-54.png