The Long Term Investor

Discussion in 'Investing' started by WXYZ, Oct 2, 2018.

1. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

Speaking of IPO stocks.......here is the real MONSTER IPO of the future:

SpaceX Could Top Lockheed, Boeing As Most Valuable Aerospace/Defense Firm

https://www.investors.com/news/defense-stocks-spacex-most-valuable-lockheed-boeing/?src=A00220

(BOLD is my comment OR what I consider important content)

"SpaceX's valuation could exceed the market caps of the top aerospace and defense stocks, according to Wall Street analysts, even overtaking Lockheed Martin (LMT) and Boeing (BA).

Morgan Stanley now gives Elon Musk's SpaceX a base-case valuation of $101 billion. That's nearly double its prior base case of $52 billion estimated in July.

It's also more than double the $46 billion valuation implied from SpaceX's latest fundraising round in August, when it attracted $1.9 billion in new capital.

The new valuation from Morgan Stanley puts SpaceX within close range of Lockheed Martin's $103 billion market cap, which makes it No. 1 among defense stocks.

Meanwhile, Boeing's market cap sits at about $95.5 billion, having plunged during the 737 Max grounding and Covid-19 pandemic.

Among other defense stocks, Raytheon Technologies (RTX) is worth about $96 billion, Northrop Grumman (NOC) $50.6 billion and General Dynamics (GD) $40 billion.

Morgan Stanley attributed the big increase in its estimate to SpaceX's Starlink satellite constellation, Starship rocket and government contracts. Starlink's valuation alone shot up to $81 billion from $42 billion in July. The launch business's valuation climbed to $11.7 billion from $1.1 billion.

Similarly, the analysts hiked their bull-case valuation to $203 billion from $175 billion and their bear case to $5.4 billion from $200 million.

SpaceX Formidable Rival To Defense Stocks
    Lockheed stock edged up 0.5% to close at 368.96 on the stock market today. Shares are in a flat base with a 402.48 buy point, according to MarketSmith chart analysis. Boeing popped 3.2%. Among other defense stocks, Northrop fell 1.7% despite reporting strong Q3 earnings Thursday. Raytheon rose 4.1%, and General Dynamics advanced 2.1%.

In recent months, SpaceX has emerged as a bigger rival to top defense stocks, adding to its business from NASA as well as other civilian and commercial space customers.

SpaceX has secured multiple contracts with the Pentagon including a launch contract worth $316 million, a $149 million missile tracking satellite contract from the Space Development Agency, and an Army contract to test Starlink satellites.

"With this string of awards, SpaceX has established itself as a formidable player for work with the U.S. government and appears to be able to compete with the likes of Lockheed Martin and Boeing," Morgan Stanley said.

Even the defense stocks have acknowledged that SpaceX is no longer an upstart in the industry, but a serious rival.

On Lockheed's third-quarter earnings call Tuesday, CFO Ken Possenriede said SpaceX is "more than an emerging threat right now."

But United Launch Alliance, Lockheed's rocket joint venture with Boeing, has been "pleased with the outcome of where we've landed relative to SpaceX" in competitions.

Possenriede said Tuesday that ULA "has a price point that is "compelling to customers" that will allow it "to get its fair share of awards over SpaceX." But SpaceX doesn't seem to think so. Earlier this year, Musk said ULA is "a complete waste of taxpayer money" because their rockets are not reusable.

MY COMMENT

If you thought the Snowflake IPO frenzy as crazy just wait for SpaceX. Once the Starlink is complete they will have a system in place to provide internet services anywhere in the world. I assume that........also......the system could provide ANY sort of digital content to the world.......not just internet services. With their push into rocket tech and their push to MARS they will be the world leader in space and space tech. This company over time will have the potential to be the SINGLE MOST VALUABLE and dominant company in the history of investing. This is a rare IPO that I will definitely buy on the first trading day. It has the potential to be one of those........once in a lifetime........investments for those BOLD enough to go there.

When will it happen........who knows. I have seen some materials talking about not going public till they are making trips to Mars. AND.....there is a.......probability.......that they will take Starlink public as a SEPERATE company once it is up and running. Even without Starlink..........SpaceX will still be a killer IPO

2. emmett kelly

emmett kelly Well-Known Member

Early morning profit taking. But, more are jumping on board.

upload_2020-10-23_8-25-34.png

3. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

YES.......Snow down $32 per share today. At least I STILL have over half my gain to play with going forward. At this rate I might be back to EVEN by the close Monday. Looks like some trading and manipulation going on this week with the price driven up during the week and profit taking on Friday to avoid holding over the weekend.

I dont mind.......since I am LONG TERM. It gives me something to watch day to day. Weeks like this also DRAW ATTENTION to the stock........and......to me that is a good thing.

Jwalker likes this.
  4. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

I was down......just slightly today and got beat by the SP500 by .38%.

For the week the SP50 was down by just over .50%. Still +7.26 for the year.......and......add in dividends and we are pushing +10% for the SP500. If we can hold on and perhaps add some more that is GREAT for me. I will take.......+10% total return......all day long for the long term.

5. Jwalker

Jwalker Active Member

I’m glad I found this thread to follow. Maybe I’m not bright enough, but trading and technical analysis makes no sense to me. Even looking at charts seems redundant except to track your past performance in comparison to a metric. I don’t get how people look at a chart of history to decide what is going to happen in the future. When I was younger and thought i knew more, I thought that swing trading made sense... now I’m glad I didn’t lose all my money trying.

TomB16 likes this.
  6. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

Jwalker

I know.......I dont use charts at all. In fact I dont keep all the data and statistics and other busy work that many investors keep. For each account I have a simple file folder with the latest statement for that account. That is it. I keep NO performance data, if I want to check performance I just use the tools on Schwab to do so.

For mutual fund holdings......I keep a simple, multi year paper outlining for each fund that I hold......total return for the SP500 for each year and the total return for each mutual fund for each year. I add the results......from the prior year...... for each fund and for the SP500 in the first week of January each new year. I color code if the fund beat the SP500 for each year and if the fund returned at least 10%.....that it. A VERY SIMPLE spreadsheet

If all the various "STUFF" works for others that is good......but for me........it is just irrelevant. Trading.....Technical Analysis.......for "me".....just fantasy and satisfaction for the human brain and human genetics. I prefer to go with the VAST majority of academic research that finds that trading and Technical Analysis, along with market timing......DO NOT WORK. They just lead to SUB-STANDARD returns and can not come close to beating the unmanaged and dumb indexes.

In fact......once I make the decision to buy a stock as a long term holding......I dont look at anything except quarterly and annual reports and news articles on the stock. That tells me everything I need to know about a company. I also like to review 1, 3, 5, and 10 year performance results for each investment and the entire portfolio compared to each other and compared to the SP500 once or twice a year. I strongly believe that most people get way too bogged down in all the details and data and statistics. A stock is a business........not a math problem that can be solved. Perhaps it is my many years as a long term investor and my business schooling and years as a business owner. I prefer to keep a sharp eye on the REALITY of a company versus data and statistics. I much prefer to know about REAL LIFE.......products, marketing, management, etc, etc.

As an old school business person.......pre-computer......we had to make business decisions without crunching tons of numbers and business INTUITION was very important. I was lucky to be born with a very strong talent for business and business decisions, and business management........which happens to translate very nicely.....for me......when it comes to being an investor.

#2366 WXYZ, Oct 23, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    Jwalker and TomB16 like this.
  7. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

FILE both of these stories under the category......CORPORATE MANAGEMENT IDIOCY:

Wells Fargo abandons plans to cut 401(k) match for high earners

https://www.investmentnews.com/wells-fargo-abandons-cut-401k-match-198520

POOR WELLS FARGO.......the management of this bank is.....in my opinion.....totally moronic. One dumb move after another at the expense of shareholders and customers. I LOVE the corporate speak when talking about the 800 advisors they fired or lost this year. They were........"displaced". I saw one version of this article stating that the change was not made to save money.......WTF........why would you make this change to........not save money. Nothing like this for DISINCENTIVE for your employees to work hard and raise their incomes........it would only apply to those making over $250K. Mostly financial advisors and sales based employees.

AND

Burger King developed reusable containers for Whoppers and drinks and will offer them to some customers next year

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/com...-them-to-some-customers-next-year/ar-BB1ahRQi

Talk about GROSS. Yeah right.....I want my food in some derelict packaging that some kid or bum dug out of the trash or who knows where to get the deposit from BK. AND......I am sure I want my food in some packaging that who knows how many other people used for fast food. Is it going to become like the airlines......where they nickle and dime you for everything? Salt...2cents.....pepper 2cents.....a burger package 5 cents......bathroom fee 10 cents......or perhaps pay stalls and on and on. This is ENVIRONMENTAL LUNACY.

Think of being the poor business owner.....having to maintain two forms of packaging......having to deal with taxes, paperwork, etc on deposits and refunds......what a total PAIN. AND.....the poor business owner having to store all the nasty returned packaging to be cleaned or sent out to clean somewhere....what a total pain. AND....this is OBVIOUSLY a trial balloon to change.....ALL......packaging to this business model.......if.......the poor customers put up with it.

#2367 WXYZ, Oct 24, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  8. Jwalker

Jwalker Active Member

Haven’t been to Burger King in years. Don’t plan on it anytime soon.. I’ll stick to in n out and chic fil a for my fast food needs. Too bad those companies aren’t public, they seem to be doing fast food right.

9. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

HERE is my actual portfolio. If I talk about my Portfolio Model or my accounts this is what I am talking about. I post this every so often for transparency and context. As the hypothetical......"they" say............."money is the mothers milk of politics"......and.....the companies I invest in have DOMINANT political power (money, lobbyists, donations, mega-rich elite owners and management, etc, etc) in addition to business power. As the ones that CRAVE power and money the politicians BOW DOWN to these companies. SO......over the long term.....to me......politics is IRRELEVANT.

"HERE is a repeat of the portfolio model.......as usual:

I am once again posting my PORTFOLIO MODEL. My initial criteria to start the process to consider a business are.......BIG CAP, AMERICAN, DIVIDEND PAYING, GREAT MANAGEMENT, ICONIC PRODUCT, WORLD WIDE LEADER IN THEIR FIELD, LONG TERM HORIZON, etc, etc, etc.

PORTFOLIO MODEL

"Here is my "PORTFOLIO MODEL" for all accounts managed which is the basis for MUCH of my discussion in this thread. I am re-posting this since I often talk in this thread about my portfolio model. My custom in the past on this sort of thread was to re-post my portfolio model every once in a while since I will tend to talk about it once in a while. I "manage" six portfolios for various family including a trust. ALL are set up in this fashion. If I was starting this portfolio today, lets say with $200,000. I would put half the money into the stock side of the portfolio, with an equal amount going into each stock. The other half of the money would go into the fund side of the portfolio, with an equal amount going into each fund. As is my long time custom, I would than let the portfolio run as it wished with NO re-balancing, in other words, I would let the winners run. Over the LONG TERM of investing in this style (at least in my actual portfolios), the stock side seems to reach and settle in at about 55% of the total portfolio and the fund side at about 45% of the total portfolio over time. That is a GOOD THING since it tells me that my stock picks are generally beating the funds over the longer term. AND....since the funds in the account generally meet or beat the SP500, that is a VERY good thing.

As mentioned in a post in this thread, I include the funds in the portfolio as a counter-balance to my investing BIAS and stock picking BIAS and to add a top active management fund that often beats the SP500 (Fidelity Contra Fund) and a SP500 Index Fund to get broad exposure to the best 500 companies in AMERICAN business and economy. The funds also give me broad diversification as a counter-balance to my very concentrated 10 stock portfolio. At the same time the funds double and triple up on my individual stock holdings............that I consider the BEST individual businesses in the WORLD.

STOCKS:

Alphabet Inc
    Amazon
    Apple
    Costco
    Home Depot
    Honeywell
    Johnson & Johnson
    Nike
    Microsoft
    Proctor & Gamble
    Tesla
    Nvidia
    Snow (100 shares, a rare, long term, speculative holding)

MUTUAL FUNDS:

SP500 Index Fund
    Fidelity Contra Fund

CAUTION: This is a moderate aggressive to aggressive portfolio on the stock side with the small concentration of stocks and the mix of stocks that I hold and with the concentration of big name tech stocks. Especially for my age group. (70). So for anyone considering this sort of portfolio, be careful and consider your risk tolerance and where you are in your life and financial needs. I am able to do this sort of portfolio since my stock market account is NOT needed for my retirement income AND I have a fairly HIGH RISK TOLERANCE. In addition I am a fully invested, all the time, LONG TERM investor. (LONG TERM meaning many years, 5, 10, 20, years or more)"

MY COMMENT

This portfolio is HIGHLY CONCENTRATED on the big cap side of things. OBVIOUSLY between the funds and my twelve stock holdings there is MUCH doubling and tripling up on the stocks. THAT is INTENTIONAL. I strongly subscribe to the view of Buffett and some others that TOO MUCH diversification kills returns. I do NOT believe in the current diversification FAD that most people seem to now follow.......or think they are following. I DO NOT do bonds and think the current level of bonds held by younger investors.....those under age 50.....is extremely foolish.I DO NOT do market timing or Technical Analysis."

10. zukodany

zukodany Well-Known Member

I’m regards to SNOW it’s pretty much the same thing that happened with ZM in the past week. It went up early in the week and then came down HARD. No reason other than speculators buying and selling I guess. Who the heck knows.
    Monday morning I’m placing an order for more Netflix and Tesla. Gonna go rather heavy I think.
    I know, all this just a couple of short weeks before Election Day and EVERYONE talking about another major correction looming around the corner. I must be nuts!

11. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

WELL......some little squiggle on a chart over the next couple of weeks or even months is not going to look like anything.........if........you have a long enough horizon on those purchases Zukodany. Being long term CURES everything.

zukodany likes this.
  12. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

It will be interesting......going forward.....to watch the ANTI-TRUST lawsuits against GOOGLE and soon.....according to what I am reading.....FACEBOOK. Typical government..........and politician.....based shake down. I dont see this as a DEM or REP issue. It is a money issue.......the big companies have the money and once they get big enough the government steps in and SHAKES THEM DOWN for a big cut of the cash. Just like they did with MICROSOFT in the past and ALL the other modern antitrust cases. In modern times it is rare for a big company to be REALLY split up. They go for the cash. I remember after the Microsoft anti-trust case is when the tech industry RAMPED UP the lobbying and the political........."payoffs".........whoops........I mean "donations". They realized that they needed to play the game or they would be raped for their cash hoard over and over.

Speaking of FACEBOOK.......that is one of a number of tech companies that I will NEVER own. I could give a number of personal reasons.........but.......the primary reason is this company is at risk going forward........in my opinion.......of being another BLACKBERRY. Top of the mountain one day and a few years later struggling to be........even......remotely relevant. I really dont see them holding onto their business for more than another 10-15 years before they are TOTALLY OBSOLETE. This is a BIG issue for long term investors. Their "product".......their users......can easily disappear in just a few years as technology moves forward to some new FAD.

THIS is one reason that I strongly PREFER consumer product companies that ACTUALLY make something and sell a product or service......or........serve as a retailer or wholesaler of some actual product or service......not just advertising sales based business models on the strength of their user numbers. This is why........if you look at my portfolio above.......ALL of the companies make or sell actual products.......some of them obviously tech products like cloud computing services. GOOGLE may be the exception to this........but they are too dominant in search and other areas to not own.........and........they do own some semi-product lines like Youtube, etc, etc........but they are obviously very advertising based in their business model.

#2372 WXYZ, Oct 25, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    Jwalker likes this.
  13. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

WELL.......I have successfully disposed of the profits....about $10,000......from my stock split trade in APPLE. A couple of art auctions helped me out by taking that money off my hands. NOT a negative........this is what I intended this money to be used for when I made the trade. I ALSO used the recent HIGHS in my accounts to do a couple of small home improvement projects.........some short garden walls and a small paver patio to get an out of control garden back under control.

It is a good thing that the house that we bought to downsize..........a year and a half ago........is now UP by about 15% year over year. We have now put about $50,000 into upgrades and custom changes. It is ALSO a good thing that the house was ONLY about 3 years old when we bought......or we would be spending a lot more to upgrade and customize. Our list of projects is now down to ONLY three more.......at the moment. Those remaining three........which are purely cosmetic to fit our personal taste......... will NOT be done till some time a few years down the road.

We should see pretty good appreciation going forward.........since........we live in the "low rent" neighborhood. Homes in our small gated area.........80 homes.......run from about $850,000 to about $1.6MIL. The homes that surround us on all sides.......also gated neighborhoods of 80-120 homes in each.......with 1-10 acre lots and 5000 to 10,000 square feet run from about $2MIL to about $7Mil. We live in a BOOMING.....highly desirable......tech city.......well actually the close in BURBS.......so I see house prices continuing to skyrocket for a long time. In our close in location there is NO MORE ability to build. Much of the new........high priced.......construction is further out from our area by 10 to 20 miles further out. Being a close in suburb is a definite price driver for our area. It is AMAZING the amount of money that people have........on our side of town there are tens of thousands of homes that are HIGH PRICED by TEXAS standards.

#2373 WXYZ, Oct 25, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  14. zukodany

zukodany Well-Known Member

So funny. I totally HATE Facebook. Despise it actually. But I had to “bite the bullet” and buy it when the market collapsed KNOWING people will be roaming the internets and liking and hating each other through and through. So I own some fb. And believe me, if Facebook disappears tomorrow I’ll probably be happier EVEN IF I LOST ALL MY SHARES. That’s how much I loathe it.
    I don’t post on it, I don’t advertise on it (tried, it didn’t yield results) I don’t “like” anyone on it. It’s just a source for updates on what’s going on in my neighbourhood basically, and most importantly finding out really how dumb people are. You can’t get more idiotic than posting your political rants on fb, sorry folks. Your life must really not be worth ANYTHING if you think posting political hates or likes in the current environment can be productive to the world WHILE FULLY DISCLOSING YOUR IDENTITY. That is of course, unless you are a paid official. I run several businesses, and believe me, if people found out what my political views are i will most likely lose some clients. See it’s not about ME. It’s about YOU. You, being my friend, family member, colleague, client, heck even my bank. We’re all different.
    But fb is where all of this MESS is taking place. Those are the war front lines in this sick society we live in. It used to be “like me on fb and support my business” now it’s “like me on fb and help me fight against some a$$hole that doesn’t agree with me politically”. Sad
    So yes I cannot stand that platform. But I own shares (many actually) in the company and believe that we are sooooo beyond f***d that there is no end to this insanity.
    May as well die rich I guess :-/

(disclaimer, I’m not baiting anyone to discuss who’s politics they prefer more, just expressing my deep passion to money making despise my like/hate of company I invest in. Capiche?)

15. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

YEAH......I totally understand. I am forced to use Facebook to post shows. BUT......that is it. I put NOTHING on there that is personal, political, no likes, or anything else. I ALSO dont understand people that rant on Facebook about anything. Do people.......NOT......understand that what they put on there will come back to bite them in the butt? Some will say.....but, but......my posts are private. WELL.......NOTHING you put on the internet is truly PRIVATE.

INCLUDING......the posts on this site. I try to walk a very fine line on this site so that I DO NOT identify myself.

16. The Ragin Cajun

The Ragin Cajun Active Member

Interesting to hear. Texas seems to be like what California was 30-40 years ago, opportunities abound. Let's hope politics doesn't do what it did to California (I lived it first hand which is one of the big reasons I relocated back down south). I'm right across the border from Texas in LA, unfortunately the business climate here is opposite and so many companies (largely O&G) have left this state for Texas. I think Louisiana suffers from being right next to Texas, in addition to poor pro business conditions due to corrupt politicians here compared to a state that encourages new business. Very good chance my wife and I, and more likely my kids will be relocating to Texas at some point due to all the opportunities that are just not available in this neighboring state. Yes, I don't see Texas growth slowing down anytime soon. Tesla going to the Austin area pretty much says it all.

#2376 The Ragin Cajun, Oct 26, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  17. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

I am EXPECTING a slow.......OR.......down week this week. the election is going to HANG over everything. The ONLY events that........might......be able to jump start the markets this week......a little bit.....is all the tech earnings that will come out.

Microsoft, Google parent Alphabet, Facebook, Apple, and Amazon......are ALL..... due to report earnings. Significant earnings beats by all or most of them.....MIGHT.........have some ability to move the markets UP in spite of election jitters.

All in all......there will be a number of push and pull of factors that will have the ability to impact and YANK the markets around. I dont put a lot of relevance in the VIX.......but.....it rose 8% and is now at its highest level since the begining of September.

ADD in......stimulus and the usual virus.....fear mongering......yes, we are testing like crazy and as a result cases being reported are up.......but NOT the death rates......but WHO CARES.......it will STILL drive the emotions and "feelings" of people and investors.

18. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

HERE......is an article....today....relevant to a post that I made over the weekend. As I noted in that post....the tech companies will learn to play politics after they SUCK money out of them through antitrust claims. As I said.......MSFT........learned this lesson very well after their ADVENTURE in antitrust land in 1990......at least I believe it was in 1990 according to my memory.

Microsoft quietly prepares to avoid spotlight under Biden

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-to-avoid-spotlight-under-biden-idUSKBN27B137

(BOLD is my opinion OR what I consider important content)

"WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp, which has largely evaded Washington’s scrutiny of Big Tech companies and scored a lucrative $10 billion government contract under the Trump administration, has emerged as a significant backer of the Biden campaign.

The Redmond, Washington-based software company is the fourth largest contributor to Democratic Presidential candidate Joe Biden’s candidate campaign committee, according to data from OpenSecrets, a website which tracks money in politics and campaign finance records.

The company’s President Brad Smith is playing a key role behind the scenes, hosting a fundraiser for Biden last year in Medina, Washington. He is also a big dollar bundler - people who help raise more than $25,000 for the Biden campaign - and had a public role during the Democratic National Convention, similar to Amazon.com Inc policy chief Jay Carney.

Microsoft Chief Technology Officer Kevin Scott and his wife have contributed over $50,000 supporting committees helping Biden win, according to campaign finance records. And Microsoft board member and co-founder of LinkedIn, Reid Hoffman, and his wife have also donated generously to the Biden campaign. Hoffman’s wife has contributed over half a million dollars to the Biden victory fund.

Microsoft senior executives also have donated more to the Biden campaign during the primaries than any other large tech company, according to data from the Revolving Door Project, part of Center for Economic & Policy Research (CERP).

“Microsoft has been playing politics for much longer than the other large technology companies that are widely talked about,” said Max Moran, a researcher at CERP, noting it has been around longer than most U.S. tech companies.

“It knows how to play the game on both sides of the aisle,” he added.

Companies are prohibited by law from donating themselves. The contributions, according to OpenSecrets, were either made by the company’s political action committees (PACs) themselves, members of the PAC or their employees.

A Microsoft spokeswoman said the company has a history of engaging with administrations on issues that matter to its business. “Our approach has been consistent: we’ll partner where we can, we’ll stand apart where we should,” she said, adding that the contributions were made by its employees, without offering more details.

Large technology companies including Microsoft have not emerged in the top 20 contributors list for the Trump candidate campaign committee. However, Microsoft’s Smith, whose donations have mostly helped Democrats, has made several contributions to Republicans, including a $15,000 donation to the National Republican Congressional Committee, according to campaign finance records.

The Trump campaign’s top contributors include government employees from the U.S. Postal Service and the Department of Defense, followed by companies such as American Airlines Group and banks such as Wells Fargo, according to OpenSecrets.

The Trump campaign did not respond to a request for comment.

Biden campaign spokesman Matt Hill did not comment on the story, but he pointed to an earlier statement shared with Reuters, which said: “Many technology giants and their executives have not only abused their power, but misled the American people, damaged our democracy, and evaded any form of responsibility. That ends with a President Biden.”

Microsoft has escaped escalating criticism from Washington lawmakers and probes by regulatory agencies - which has culminated into one of the largest antitrust lawsuits against Alphabet’s Google by the Justice Department.

In fact, the lawsuit has delivered a potential opportunity for Microsoft to increase usage of its Bing search engine, a win years after it abandoned a long campaign for legal relief.

The company’s other large competitors, such as Facebook Inc, Apple Inc and Amazon.com Inc, are also grappling with various state and federal investigations.

Earlier this year, Microsoft also won a highly controversial $10 billion cloud computing contract from the U.S. Department of Defense after it defeated Amazon in a contest marred by allegations of political influence by President Donald Trump. The stock has more than tripled since Trump took office.

‘ADULT IN THE ROOM’

Microsoft has presented itself as an “adult in the room” to both parties on the topic of antitrust, a strategy that will continue to ensure attention is diverted to its rivals, CERP’s Moran said.

Smith and Microsoft, for example, have invested time and resources in staying in the good graces of Democratic lawmakers.

Earlier this year, Smith met with the House Judiciary antitrust subcommittee, which produced a scathing report on how Big Tech hurts competitors. During the meeting, Smith offered Microsoft’s perspective as a company that has faced antitrust regulation in the past and also discussed his company’s concerns about the way Apple operates its App Store, according to a source familiar with the matter.

Lawyers and antitrust experts said there are some challenges Microsoft still faces, even though they are not likely to result in any meaningful action in the immediate future under a Biden administration. For example, in February the Federal Trade Commission said it will examine prior acquisitions from Big Tech companies including Microsoft. The company also faces an antitrust complaint in Europe from Slack, which operates a product similar to Microsoft Teams.

“It’s the classic case of shiny objects,” said Andrew Gavil, a professor at Howard University School of Law. “Microsoft has succeeded in making sure the attention stays on everybody else even when they continue to be dominant in many areas they operate.”

MY COMMENT

The "MODERN" form of anti-trust litigation is NOT aimed at helping or benefiting the public.....it is a form of shake down by the politicians..........on both sides........they have an insatiable appetite for money and will go after it every chance they get. They dont care......in the slightest......what the impact might be on shareholders or the general economy.......they want their cut. It is a very dangerous thing for big companies to pile up billions of dollars......it is like blood in the water to a shark.

For those NOT familiar with political fundraising and the power of lobbying this.........is called FUNDRAISING:

"Biden campaign spokesman Matt Hill did not comment on the story, but he pointed to an earlier statement shared with Reuters, which said: “Many technology giants and their executives have not only abused their power, but misled the American people, damaged our democracy, and evaded any form of responsibility. That ends with a President Biden.”

19. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

The GENERAL economic data.......continues.......to HUGELY exceed expectations time after time as the data is released. This is the STUFF that will ACTUALLY drive the economy and put money in the pockets of long term investors. The day to day news GARBAGE that now dominates EVERYTHING is just........MEDIA PORN.

U.S. core capital goods orders increase solidly in September

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/27/durable-goods-orders-september-2020.html

(BOLD is my opinion OR what I consider important content)

"Key Points
    • New orders for key U.S.-made capital goods rose more than expected in September, wrapping up a quarter of potentially record growth in business spending and the overall economy.
    • Overall durable goods orders jumped 1.9% in September, compared with expectations of an increase of just 0.5%.
    • The economy received a boost from fiscal stimulus aimed at softening the blow from the Covid-19 pandemic.

New orders for key U.S.-made capital goods rose more than expected in September, wrapping up a quarter of potentially record growth in business spending and the economy, thanks to fiscal stimulus aimed at softening the blow from the Covid-19 pandemic.

The report from the Commerce Department on Tuesday followed robust data this month on retail sales and the housing market. But government money has dried up and new coronavirus infections are surging across the country, leading economists to anticipate a slowdown in activity in the fourth quarter.

The outcome of next Tuesday’s hotly contested presidential election could also weigh on business and consumer sentiment, and pose a risk to the recovery from the worst recession in at least 73 years. More than four in ten supporters of both President Donald Trump and his Democratic challenger and former Vice President, Joe Biden, said they would not accept the result of the November election if their preferred candidate loses, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll.

Orders for non-defense capital goods excluding aircraft, a closely watched proxy for business spending plans, increased 1.0% last month. Data for August was revised higher to show these so-called core capital goods orders increasing 2.1% instead of 1.9% as previously estimated.

Economists polled by Reuters had forecast core capital goods orders increasing 0.5%.

Core capital goods orders, which have pulled above their pre-pandemic level, were in September boosted by increased demand for primary metals, fabricated metal products and computers and electronic products. But orders for machinery and electrical equipment, appliances and components fell.

U.S. stock index futures were trading higher. The dollar slipped against a basket of currencies. U.S. Treasury prices were higher.

Shipments slowing
    Shipments of core capital goods gained 0.3% last month. Core capital goods shipments are used to calculate equipment spending in the government’s gross domestic product measurement. They increased 1.5% in August. The three straight months of growth in shipments likely helped to lift overall business investment from a deep hole in the third quarter.

Business investment tumbled at a record 27.2% annualized rate in the second quarter, with spending on equipment collapsing at an all-time pace of 35.9%. Investment in equipment has contracted for five straight quarters.

Growth estimates for the July-September quarter are as high as a 35.2% annualized rate, which would recoup roughly two-thirds of the output lost because of the coronavirus.

The economy contracted at a 31.4% pace in the second quarter, the deepest decline since the government started keeping records in 1947. The government is scheduled to publish its snapshot of third-quarter GDP on Thursday.

Orders for durable goods, items ranging from toasters to aircraft that are meant to last three years or more, jumped 1.9% in September after rising 0.4% in August. Durable goods orders were driven by a 4.1% rebound in orders for transportation equipment, which followed a 0.9% decline in August.

Orders for motor vehicles and parts recovered 1.5% after falling 4.1% in August. But there no orders for civilian aircraft reported for the third straight month in September.

Boeing lost another three orders for its grounded 737 Max jetliner in September, and delivered 11 total aircraft to customers, less than half the number from the same month a year ago, the planemaker reported this month. Boeing has struggled with cancellations as airlines grapple with sharply reduced demand for air travel because of the pandemic.

The grounding of Boeing’s best-selling 737 Max jets since March 2019 after two crashes in Indonesia and Ethiopia has also weighed on the company.

MY COMMENT

YES.......I will take the easy shot.......the ECONOMISTS forecast...........they were MASSIVELY WRONG.......yet again. AND......as is the NORM........in certain political administrations........they are ALWAYS forecasting to the extreme negative. FUNNY how I dont remember this EVER happening with other administrations. What this ALL means is that the PROJECTED DATA is TOTALLY CORRUPT. You can NEVER anticipate anything based on the projections or anything in the news media. The day to day focus of the media........as I said is just social and economic PORN.

Even the daily business and investing news........is.......NOT news. It is opinions by immature and inexperienced simpletons masquerading as experts that have no clue as to how investing or the financial world works. UNFORTUNATELY.....this media view of the economic world is now the norm with the vast majority of the population being dumbed down........or.......so focused on day to day work and life and survival, that no one has any knowledge of what actually works in investing anymore.

PERVERSELY.......that is a good thing for me and other long term investors. By having a LASER LIKE FOCUS on what really counts........like the REAL economic data that continues to pile up......the rare and few long term investors will be greatly rewarded. As an investor I MUCH PREFER to NOT be part of the crowd........and........to hide in the shadows.

YES.......I continue to be fully invested as usual for the long term.

The Ragin Cajun likes this.
  20. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

SNOW......continues.....its recent course of SURGING UP on some days and SURGING DOWN on others. As I post this the stock is UP by +6% today. I suspect that this is going to be the norm for this stock for a while.......at least until it breaks STRONGLY to the UP side. This activity tells me that the stock is trying to make a BIG run to the up side......but......it is going to have to exhaust the profit takers in order to FIRMLY make the move up.

DISCLOSURE: This is a highly speculative young company. I am NOT advocating anyone to buy this stock when I post opinions like the above.