The Long Term Investor

Discussion in 'Investing' started by WXYZ, Oct 2, 2018.

1. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

YES......I forgot about that.....

OK....I had to look....at my account....that is. YES....we are in a BIG rally today. We need to build it up as the day goes on. My ONLY down holdings were PG.....of course.....the earnings were a MASSIVE BEAT......SNOW......and TESLA.

It seems like lately the profit taking hits TESLA every time there is a UP move in the share price. The price moves up and waves of sellers move in and send the price lower. EITHER....profit taking....or....traders using the stock as a short term trading vehicle. It will be interesting to see how this little BATTLE plays out over the medium term. A number of analysts have raised their price targets lately....some into the $1000+ range. The QUESTION.....will be.....is the strong momentum still there. We will know when we look back in about 2-4 months.

In the language of the .....old days.....the stock may be in a period of consolidation of the huge gains of the past months and is currently forming a base for the next leg of the continued move up.

2. emmett kelly

emmett kelly Well-Known Member

your trader tendencies are resurfacing. careful, now.

rg7803 likes this.
  3. emmett kelly

speaking strictly from an investment point of view, he could resurface on parler.com and that platform will explode and be an IPO before you know it.

zukodany likes this.
  4. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

The investing media.....often.....loses track of the FACT that....many......if not most.....investors are NOT as tolerant of risk as the media makes it appear. MANY, MANY, investors DO NOT want to be invested in......ALL.....risky, young, tech, growth companies. And....actually there is no need for people to invest in this way. There is ABSOLUTELY.....no reason.....a person can not be an individual stock investor with a more reasoned and moderate risk portfolio. The KEY to this sort of portfolio is the OLDER....big cap....dividend paying companies that STILL make up the BULK of the US economy.

A portfolio that combines a few of the current young and hot GROWTH GIANTS.....Amazon, Google, Apple, Costco, Nike.....and a good number...perhaps 10 of the more old school dividend paying ICONIC AMERICAN companies will STILL produce a great return with.......MUCH LESS RISK.....especially in a down market.

THIS is a GREAT article. UNFORTUNATELY.....it covers so many of the stocks in so much detail.....it is way too long to post the whole article. For......ANY....investor that is looking for more conservative BIG CAP companies that will STILL produce growth and compounding with BIG dividends to reinvest.......here is a good starting point. Use this article to IDENTIFY stocks that you might want to research further.

2021's Dividend Aristocrats List: All 65 Stocks

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/2021s-dividend-aristocrats-list-65-232153617.html

As i said the article is.....too long.....to post the whole thing. SO.....I will put up just a little bit of it so you have an idea of how the stocks are discussed and what information is in the article:

"Rock-solid dividend aristocrats you can bank on

Finding great dividend stocks is hard work. Any company can pay a dividend. But is it prudent, sustainable, based on a sound and stable long-term business and liable to grow? And from an investor's perspective, is it meaningful? These are the questions that matter to long-term income investors. One shortcut to finding great dividend stocks is to look at the "dividend aristocrats," companies in the S&P 500 that have been increasing dividend payments annually for at least 25 years. There are 65 such companies in the world: Here's the full dividend aristocrats list, as well as what the dividend-raising streak for each one looks like in 2021.

3M Co. (ticker: MMM)

Founded in 1902 in St. Paul, Minnesota, 3M has a long and storied history of innovation, diversification and success. Today, the company makes such a variety of different industrial and consumer products, you'd be shocked to hear one company could do so many things. The inventor of the Post-it Note also makes all kinds of tape, original equipment manufacturer parts like powertrains and chassis materials, and a laundry list of other products for almost any end market you can think of. Famously, 30% of each division's revenue must come from products introduced in the last four years, keeping an incentive for innovation.

Sector: Consumer industrials
    Consecutive annual dividend increases: 62
    Dividend yield: 3.5%

A.O. Smith Corp. (AOS)

Do you like running water in your house? You probably enjoy the luxury of hot water even more. A.O. Smith meets this demand by making water heaters on a massive scale. It turns out people all over the world have an appreciation for it, and AOS has around 16,300 employees at its operations in the U.S., Canada, China, India, Mexico, the U.K., the Netherlands and Turkey. Residential water heaters can cost from about $400 to $3,000 and up, and they don't last forever, so there's steady demand. AOS also makes commercial water heaters and boilers, which are more expensive and have a wider range of uses.

Sector: Industrials
    Consecutive annual dividend increases: 28
    Dividend yield: 1.8%

Abbott Laboratories (ABT)

Abbott has long been a standout player in the health care sector, both in terms of its offerings and good treatment of investors. Today, ABT is well-diversified, deriving revenue from its pharmaceuticals, nutritional products, diagnostics and cardiovascular divisions. Abbott hasn't become a business worth about $200 billion by accident: Its products, which now includes the world's first smartphone-compatible cardiac monitor, have saved countless lives. Along with many other products, Abbott is well-known for its medical stents as well as its meal replacement Ensure."

AND....on, and on, and on.....the article covers many, many, stocks......all of which are household names and all of which pay a nice.....reinvestable....dividend. HERE is a list of the stocks that make up the list in the article:

"To review, here's a complete list of the "dividend aristocrats," the only companies in the S&P 500 that have raised dividends for 25 straight years:

-- 3M Co. (MMM)
    -- A.O. Smith Corp. (AOS)
    -- Abbott Laboratories (ABT)
    -- AbbVie (ABBV)
    -- Aflac (AFL)
    -- Air Products & Chemicals (APD)
    -- Albemarle Corp. (ALB)
    -- Amcor PLC (AMCR)
    -- Archer-Daniels-Midland Co. (ADM)
    -- AT&T (T)
    -- Atmos Energy Corp. (ATO)
    -- Automatic Data Processing (ADP)
    -- Becton, Dickinson and Co. (BDX)
    -- Brown-Forman Corp. (BF.B)
    -- Cardinal Health (CAH)
    -- Carrier Global (CARR)
    -- Caterpillar (CAT)
    -- Chevron Corp. (CVX)
    -- Chubb (CB)
    -- Cincinnati Financial Corp. (CINF)
    -- Cintas Corp. (CTAS)
    -- The Clorox Co. (CLX)
    -- The Coca-Cola Co. (KO)
    -- Colgate-Palmolive Co. (CL)
    -- Consolidated Edison (ED)
    -- Dover Corp. (DOV)
    -- Ecolab (ECL)
    -- Emerson Electric Co. (EMR)
    -- Essex Property Trust (ESS)
    -- Expeditors International of Washington (EXPD)
    -- Exxon Mobil Corp. (XOM)
    -- Federal Realty Investment Trust (FRT)
    -- Franklin Resources (BEN)
    -- General Dynamics Corp. (GD)
    -- Genuine Parts Co. (GPC)
    -- Hormel Foods Corp. (HRL)
    -- Illinois Tool Works (ITW)
    -- Johnson & Johnson (JNJ)
    -- Kimberly-Clark Corp. (KMB)
    -- Leggett & Platt (LEG)
    -- Linde (LIN)
    -- Lowe's Cos. (LOW)
    -- McCormick & Co. (MKC)
    -- McDonald's Corp. (MCD)
    -- Medtronic (MDT)
    -- Nucor Corp. (NUE)
    -- Otis Worldwide (OTIS)
    -- Pentair (PNR)
    -- People's United Financial (PBCT)
    -- PepsiCo (PEP)
    -- PPG Industries (PPG)
    -- Procter & Gamble Co. (PG)
    -- Raytheon Technologies (RTX)
    -- Realty Income Corp. (O)
    -- Roper Technologies (ROP)
    -- S&P Global (SPGI)
    -- The Sherwin-Williams Co. (SHW)
    -- Stanley Black & Decker (SWK)
    -- Sysco Corp. (SYY)
    -- T. Rowe Price Group (TROW)
    -- Target Corp. (TGT)
    -- VF Corp. (VFC)
    -- Walgreens Boots Alliance (WBA)
    -- Walmart (WMT)
    -- W.W. Grainger (GWW)

MY COMMENT

For the MANY investors that want to own individual stocks.......and take LESS RISK.....there are many great names in this list. These are companies that will allow you to have single stock exposure an STILL have good growth. At the same time you will have great income potential from the dividends. Many of these stocks will allow a portfolio to be put together that will give........in theory......greater.....protection in a down market.

As I said above......for example.....if I was an investor that wanted a little bit less risk....I would put together a portfolio with.......NIKE, COST, MSFT, ALPPL, GOOGL AMZN.......and perhaps 10 names from the above list.

BE AWARE.......you STILL have to select what those ten names are.....FOR YOU. You still have to do your research and select the companies that meet your criteria for risk, growth, and safety. Just because a company is in this list does NOT mean it will thrive as a business over the next 5-10 years. AND.......yes......I am talking about investing as a LONG TERM INVESTOR.....for at least 5-10 years as a holding period for many of these stocks....MINIMUM. BUT.....as a starting point.....there are MANY great companies in the list above.

AS A BONUS.......you can click on the stock symbol in blue above and go it will take you to the U.S. News And World Report page with more detail and data for the stock.

#3064 WXYZ, Jan 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    Lori Myers likes this.
  5. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

EMMETT......where have you been lately?

That is not trader language.....that is the "old" language of long term investors.......people that would own a company for 20-30 years and over that time would see many times when they had to just......sit tight......through periods of consolidation waiting for the next explosive move UP.

BACK THAN....people actually had some ability to sit and do nothing......everything was NOT frantic action all the time.....24/7.....in order to ....."feel like'.....you were doing something.

6. emmett kelly

revising my feature film script. read it for the first time in a while the other day and actually enjoyed it. after watching tons of low budget features on hulu, i know this is as good as some of those. also, there were a few annoying political comments on other threads that got my blood boiling, so thought i'd chill for a while instead of responding. argue with dimwits and you become one.

7. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

I like.....and agree with.....the positive tone of this article. I may not agree with some of the specific reasoning.....BUT.....I do believe we are in for ANOTHER positive year for stock and fund investors. ESPECIALLY.....investors that have a long term perspective:

Strategists see more stock market gains through the end of the year

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/stra...ns-through-the-end-of-the-year-164055396.html

(BOLD is my opinion OR what I consider important content)

"The first month of the new year has not even ended yet, and Wall Street firms are already building a case for stocks to rise even further this year.

With the composition of the government now confirmed and Democratic lawmakers in control of both the U.S. House of Representatives and Senate, strategists are preparing to see more fiscal stimulus boost consumer spending, the economy and corporate profits in the coming months. This is set to lay the groundwork for a strong recovery once the vaccine rollout reaches much of the population, many have said.

Still, these risk-on catalysts will likely come alongside some opposing forces, including rising interest rates and the specter of a less accommodative Federal Reserve and higher corporate taxes as the economy emerges from the pandemic.

But on net, with all these factors in mind, a number of strategists suggested stocks will rise even more strongly this year than they believed at the end of 2020.

Here’s what some Wall Street strategists are now expecting for the U.S. stock market this year.

RBC Capital Markets (Target: 4,100; EPS: $168): ‘While we expect 2021 will be a solid year, it comes with risk’
    RBC Capital Markets released its initial year-end outlook for U.S. equities on Jan. 20. In this, RBC said it expected the S&P 500 would ultimately end the year at 4,100, implying upside of 9% from closing prices on Jan. 19. One of the key drivers of the rise will come amid the expected economic reopening, with RBC estimating real gross domestic product will grow 5% in 2021.

Before ending the year higher, however, stocks are likely to endure a pullback as traders take a pause after 2020’s 16% rally and extended gains so far this year.

“While we expect 2021 will be a solid year, it comes with risk. We anticipate a period of consolidation, most likely in the first half,” the strategists led by Lori Calvasina said in a note.

The drop could come as a mid-single digit decline from the index’s recent record highs, taking the S&P 500 down to about 3,600, the firm said. But it could also be an as much as mid-teens correction that pulls the index back down to approximately 3,200, it added.

“Our positioning/sentiment analysis suggests a pullback could start any time, but could also take a few more weeks/months to materialize,” Calvasina said. “Ultimately, 2021 price action will reflect 2022’s fundamentals. Longer-term risks to the market and our bullish full-year view include higher corporate taxes, Tech/Internet regulation, a less accommodative Fed, and the virus/vaccine backdrop.”

Goldman Sachs (Target: 4,300; EPS: $178): ‘More fiscal stimulus and faster growth lead to higher 2021 S&P 500 EPS’
    Goldman Sachs raised its S&P 500 earnings outlook this month, citing the additional economic boost likely to emerge as Democratic control of Washington leads to increased fiscal stimulus. For the full-year, the firm now expects full-year GDP growth to come in at 6.4% in 2021 and 4.0% in 2022, up from their previous expectations for growth of 5.9% and 3.7%, respectively.

“Elections have consequences. Democratic control of Washington, D.C. after January 20 will bring greater fiscal spending, faster GDP growth, more inflation, and higher interest rates than we had previously assumed,” the strategists led by David Kostin said in a note.

The firm raised its 2021 S&P 500 earnings per share growth outlook by 2 percentage points to 31%, or to $178. However, it also trimmed its expected 2022 EPS growth rate by 2 percentage points to 10%, or to $196, to account for a likely increase in the corporate tax rate under a unified Democratic government.

Despite the improved earnings outlook for this year, Goldman Sachs left its S&P 500 price target at 4,300, implying 13% upside from closing prices on Jan. 19.

“The benefit of slightly higher EPS is offset by modestly higher bond yields, which will limit absolute [price-to-earning] multiple expansion at 22x,” Kostin said.

Credit Suisse (Target: 4,200; EPS: $175): ‘The likely avalanche of pent-up consumer demand cannot be ignored’
    Credit Suisse raised both its S&P 500 price and earnings per share targets for 2021 this month, also in anticipation of additional fiscal stimulus. The firm raised its price target on the S&P 500 to 4,200, up from the 4,050 it saw at the end of last year, with the revised outlook representing about 10.6% upside from closing prices on Jan. 19. Credit Suisse now sees S&P 500 aggregate earnings per share growing by 25% over last year to $175 in 2021, up from the $168 seen previously.

“Democrats picked up both Georgia Senate seats, paving the way for Biden to implement his agenda more broadly,” Credit Suisse strategist Jonathan Golub said in a note. “This should result in additional stimulus, including the expansion of payments to individuals.”

While the timeline for vaccination rollouts has proven underwhelming, the likely avalanche of pent-up consumer demand cannot be ignored,” he added. “Any additional stimulus will further fan these flames.”

Unlike some other strategists, however, Golub said he does not “anticipate more progressive policies on taxes or regulatory issues that might disrupt technology, health care, financials, energy or the market more broadly” despite the Democratic control of each of the White House, Senate and House of Representatives.

Given the assumptions for more stimulus, Credit Suisse upgraded pro-cyclicals including the consumer discretionary sector – excluding internet retailers – industrials, materials and energy to Overweight. The firm also downgraded the major sector outperformers of 2020 including information technology, communications and internet retail to Market Weight. Financials and health care companies remained the firm’s highest conviction Overweight calls.

MY COMMENT

IN GENERAL........the issues and actions outlined above WILL in all.....PROBABILITY.....produce nice strong gains this year for stock and fund investors. Of course.....there is always RISK......and......as always we will see various times when there are corrections or pull backs. BEING a long term investor will help to.....MITIGATE...the risk.......even the risk that the above proves to be false. Short term predictions are USELESS.....but......if I had to make a prediction.....based on the current PROBABILITIES.....I would say we will end up 2021about where we ended 2020. the issues that happen through the year will be different.....but....I think the end result will be about the same.....a TOTAL RETURN....for the year of +15 to +25%.

SO........MAKE IT HAPPEN.

8. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

EMMETT.......do you have funding to produce your film? What is the general theme......sci-fi, drama, western, etc, etc. Any other details of the business process to get the film done or the content, actors, etc, etc, etc?

YES......I get enough of the politics elsewhere.....EVERY DAY, ALL DAY LONG. I....of course....have very definite opinions...but I try to keep them off this thread.

9. emmett kelly

thanks for asking, @WXYZ. below is the synopsis. i have the script listed on www.inktip.com and have gotten a few nibbles from producers. ideally, i would play the leading role, but if i get an offer to buy it outright would do so. the film can be made for $250k easily.

Down and out middle aged stock day trader, Henry Baker, leaves his wife after catching her cheating, loses his nine to five job for day trading and not working, and is $100,000 in debt to his stock broker because of a bad stock pick.

Technical analysis has gotten him nowhere and on a whim he sticks stock tickers on a dart board, blindfolds himself and fires away. From that point forward every stock pick sky rockets and he rapidly accumulates thousands of dollars.

Henry’s stockbroker is aware that he possesses an inexplicable power and wants part of the action. After their relationship goes bad, Henry declines any further association with the broker. Not giving up, the broker has Henry’s landlord plant a hidden camera in his apartment that can zoom in on the dart board and see the stock picks.

Henry and his young roommate, Natasha, whom he took in off the street after seeing her panhandling and being strung out on heroin, are aware of the camera. As a prank, they stage a murder on the live video feed to the broker’s office. Natasha strangles Henry with a rope. Both flee the scene and move into an ocean front cottage before a detective arrives to investigate.

During the investigation the detective becomes aware of Henry’s stock picking wizardry and decides he wants in on the action, too. After planting yet another camera in Henry’s cottage, the detective relays the first stock pick to Henry’s former broker. After the opening bell the next day the stock nose dives. The detective and stock broker realize they have been duped.

Natasha and Henry sit on the front balcony of the cottage taking in the fresh air and breathtaking ocean views, she on her way to recovery and Henry relishing in the apparent divine power he has been granted.

zukodany likes this.
  10. zukodany

zukodany Well-Known Member

Thank you for the div article W
    May I add these which I’ve been watching for AWHILE : O a realty Income - a rare breed of div paying MONTHLY (4.84%) & AMCR which is on your list and I believe is a very good stock to own regardless of its generous yield (4.25) and last, if you can involve a little risk in your portfolio, go with BCSF (10.74%)

11. rg7803

rg7803 Well-Known Member

@emmett kelly
    the initial part remind me of “leaving las vegas “
    not bad!

emmett kelly likes this.
  12. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

From that list of 65 DIVIDEND STOCKS above.......at some point over my life of investing......45+ years.....I have owned the following (not all at once of course):

3M
    AT&T
    Caterpillar
    Chevron
    Clorox
    Coke
    Colgate
    Exxon
    Johnson & Johnson
    Lowes
    McDonalds
    Pepsi
    Proctor & Gamble
    Walmart

The ONLY one that I currently own is Proctor & Gamble.

13. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

WELL.....certainly a NICE day today. A VERY green day. The stock side of my portfolio was up by 2.4% today.....beating the SP500 by 1.01%.

NOW....we need to get some carry through and have a good two days to finish the week STRONG. Seems like there is a pretty good probability of this happening. TODAY kicks the old SP500 up to 2.55% year to date. So far....good numbers to start the year even though getting to this point has been erratic.

14. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

A day or so ago I posted some info about the workings and taxes on CAPITAL GAINS. HERE is similar info on the workings and taxes on DIVIDENDS. This is an investing thread......NOT.....taxes.....but....understanding this is important to investors.

Is There a Dividend Tax? Your Guide to Taxes on Dividends

https://www.thestreet.com/personal-finance/taxes/guide-to-taxes-on-dividends?puc=yahoo&cm_ven=YAHOO

"Companies can financially reward their investors by paying shareholders dividends. Certain dividend income may receive special tax treatment under the current tax code. This could potentially allow you to pay less income tax on some dividends.

What are dividends?
    Dividends are payments, usually earnings, from a company to certain shareholders. Generally. companies must declare dividends before paying them. This is typically authorized by the company's board of directors.

You may receive dividends if you own stocks, mutual funds, or exchange-traded funds (ETFs) that have stocks as a holding in the fund.

What are qualified and unqualified dividends?
    For dividends to fall in the qualified dividend category, they must be paid by a U.S. corporation or a qualifying foreign corporation. You must also meet the holding period requirement.

The holding period requirement states you must have held the investment for more than 60 days during the 121-day period that starts 60 days prior to the ex-dividend date. An ex-dividend date is simply the first day after a dividend is declared, also known as the date of record or record date. If you purchase a dividend generating investment on its ex-dividend date or after, you will not receive the next dividend payment. The holding period doesn't include the day you purchased an investment, but it does include the day you sold it.

Certain dividend payments aren't qualified dividends even if they're reported as such. These are listed in IRS publication 550 under the "Dividends that are not qualified dividends" section, and they include capital gains distributions and dividends you receive from a farmers' cooperative.

Ordinary dividends are the total of all the dividends reported on a 1099-DIV form. Qualified dividends are all or a portion of the total dividends. They're reported in box 1a on Form 1099-DIV.

While this sounds complicated, your financial institution should clarify which dividends are qualified when they report your dividends to you on Form 1099-DIV. Qualified dividends appear in box 1b.

How do interest dividends on state or municipal bonds work?
    Mutual funds and ETFs may have state or municipal bonds as holdings. These bonds pay interest that's often exempt from federal income tax. When mutual funds or ETFs distribute this interest, they usually do it through an interest dividend.

Interest dividends from state or municipal bonds aren't typically taxable on the federal income tax level unless you're subject to the Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT). This income is usually reported in box 11 of Form 1099-DIV.

What are tax-free dividends?
    You may have some dividends that you don't end up paying federal income tax on. Some people refer to these as tax-free dividends. This can happen if your dividends are qualified and your taxable income falls below a certain threshold or if they are tax-free dividends paid on municipal bonds.

What are the tax rates for dividends in different tax brackets?
    Ordinary dividends are taxed using the ordinary income tax brackets for tax year 2020.

Qualified dividend taxes are usually calculated using the capital gains tax rates. For 2020, qualified dividends may be taxed at 0% if your taxable income falls below

• $40,001 for those filing single or married filing separately,
    • $53,601 for head of household filers, or
    • $80,001 for married filing jointly or qualifying widow(er) filing status.
    The qualified dividend tax rate increases to 15% for taxable income above

• $40,000 through $248,300 for married filing separately filers,
    • $40,000 through $441,450 for single filers,
    • $53,600 through $469,050 for head of household filers, or
    • $80,000 through $496,600 for married filing jointly or qualifying widow(er) filers.
    Qualified dividend income above the upper limits of the 15% bracket requires paying a 20% tax rate on any remaining qualified dividend income. Depending on your specific tax situation, qualified dividends may also be subject to the 3.8% Net Investment Income Tax.

What is Form 1099-DIV?
    Form 1099-DIV Dividends and Distributions is the form financial institutions typically use to report information to you and the IRS about dividends and certain other distributions paid to you.

The financial institutions are required to fill out this form if your total dividends and other distributions for a year exceed $10. It includes information about the payer of the dividends, the recipient of the dividends, the type and amount of dividends paid, and any federal or state income taxes withheld.

Schedule B Interest and Ordinary Dividends is the schedule you use to list interest and ordinary dividends when filing your tax return with the IRS. As far as dividends go, you only have to use this form if you have over $1,500 in taxable interest or ordinary dividends in a tax year, or if you receive interest or ordinary dividends as a nominee.

The IRS states you must also use this form to report dividends if you are a signer on an account in a foreign country, or if you grant, transfer, or receive any funds to or from a foreign trust. You may have to use Schedule B for other situations as well.

How have taxes on dividends changed in the 2020 tax year?
    Taxes on dividends haven't changed in the tax year 2020 compared to the tax year 2019, other than inflation adjustments.

What tax forms are needed for dividends?
    Dividends are reported to you on Form 1099-DIV, but you need to include all taxable dividends you receive regardless of whether or not you receive this form. To report your dividends on your tax return and pay the applicable taxes, you include the appropriate amounts on Form 1040 and fill out the related line items on Schedule B if required.

What dividend due dates should you be aware of?
    Brokerages and other companies required to report dividends on Form 1099-DIV must do so by February 1, 2021. Taxes for dividends are paid with your income tax return, typically due on April 15 of each year."

MY COMMENT

I dont expect to post any more tax "stuff". I thought this and the capital gains info would ACTUALLY be relevant to investing.

PLEASE.....This forum is NOT a tax advice forum. The above is NOT tax advice. For specific tax advice relevant to YOUR specific situation you MUST consult your tax advisor. DO NOT rely on the above.....consult YOUR advisor.

#3074 WXYZ, Jan 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  15. zukodany

zukodany Well-Known Member

Big green day. My BIG long term ‘folio was up 1.88 while my trading one was DOWN .20

I actually like that..... ALOT.... as I have noticed that my 2 portfolios clash for a few days now... and since one is long term and the other short I do not mind that they’re on opposing sides of the scale CONSTANTLY

16. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

YEP....nothing wrong with that since the two portfolios are different purposes and contain different investments intended for different purposes. ACTUALLY......if they ALWAYS followed each other I think that would be a concern.

17. Jwalker

Jwalker Active Member

Great big green day today! Had a total gain between all accounts of 1.76% which a beat on the S&P. I’m also done with my Rona quarantine and I survived!

18. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

That is GREAT news on the quarantine.....congratulations. Not a bad day in the markets....either.

19. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

TODAY.....is one of those days that.......one investor will look at their account and say the day sucks.......another, will look and say is is amazing......and another will look and say it is so-so. Very much a.......stock specific.....market.

For "ME".....at least so far.....it is a HUGE day....to the up side. My portfolio gains today far exceed where I was at the strong open yesterday. YET.....at this instant in time.....both the DOW and the SP500 are negative for the day. Looking at my account a minute or two ago.....EVERYTHING is up strongly except for HON and TSLA......and.....even those holdings are only down minimal amounts.

My opinion on the DOW is that it.....no longer.....represents the US economy and is NOT a very good proxy for the stock market in general. It does STILL have value as a historical index.......but......is NOT particularly relevant in the modern investing era. the larger indexes like the SP500, NASDAQ, NASDAQ100, Russell 2000 are much more relevant.......and.....of course are used by investors as one stop investments that give broad market exposure to a very relevant basket of stocks. Now the DOW......I think you would have to be a very FOOLISH investor to put your money into a DOW Index Fund.

It seems that the SPLINTERED MARKET will continue for at least as long as the virus. It will be nice when we get back to the point that a GREEN day means that stocks across the board are doing well. Perhaps we will never get back to that point....who knows. It is very much a stock pickers market......and.....seems like it will continue that way into the near future.

For Index investors.....my index of choice is still the SP500....with its emphasis on the big cap side of the market and its heavily weighted emphasis on the big tech and FANG stocks. With a tip of the hat to poster.....Chris Eastman......I believe that the NASDAQ100 Index is a good alternative for those that want to take a little more risk and and get a little bit more extreme than the SP500 Index.

BOTH of the above indexes are nice solid choices for the average investor that....does not.....want to be a stock picker and wants nice exposure to the markets for the LONG TERM.

Jwalker likes this.
  20. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

In the time it took me to type the above post.......ALL......of the averages have now gone strongly green for the day.

I did not mention above....that my accounts are at an all time high today when I looked.......always a good thing...even over the short term. EVEN THOUGH.....I remain totally a LONG TERM INVESTOR......it is a nice psychological reward and positive reinforcement......to see and celebrate new account highs.

I remain fully invested for the long term as usual.